LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stuck Nuts on Megan Coilovers (Can't Adjust Height)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 10:16 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djsurfer
So I tried EVERYTHING!!! I could definately NOT heat them up, says so on the coild To not heat, highly under pressure, so thats out of the question. I put in lubricant but still seized. And yes it would be in bad condition without specifying saying that they were working properly. I turned the back ones but not the front for some reason when I picked them up. But yea they are still seized. I contacted member about a week ago and now again today with no reply. I just notcied that not just the nut thats stuck but the bottom collar too, so its definately not gonna drop. The bottom sleeve im assuming is slightly bent preventing from bring it up on the threads!!! If he doesnt reply, good thing I picked them up at his house so finding him will definately not be a problem, only down side is its a 5 hour trip back and forth to where he is located. But Ill definately find him!
Originally Posted by sam12345
Heating a pressurized shock is not a good idea
Heat the actual rings not the damper.. I wouldnt suggest heating them up to the extreme just a little so it expands slightly. That .000082" expansion might make a difference. =P

No I don't want to sell them I just bought them. And yea thats what im about to do. Put it on a vice, clean them up and see how I can get them unstuck. Ill keep you guys posted thanks for the help. My car looks like its on bags since the rear is slammed and the front has another 2 inches to drop.
Vice grip the shaft towards the top and use a rod through the lower bushing you would be able to break loose the lower cup. From there you can try to do what ever methods to loosen the lock rings. Do not crush the shaft using vice grips.
Old 01-31-13, 11:10 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dengman
Heat the actual rings not the damper.. I wouldnt suggest heating them up to the extreme just a little so it expands slightly. That .000082" expansion might make a difference. =P

Vice grip the shaft towards the top and use a rod through the lower bushing you would be able to break loose the lower cup. From there you can try to do what ever methods to loosen the lock rings. Do not crush the shaft using vice grips.
Yep thats what I was planning on doing, well the rings arent stuck anymore its just the collar now. Im gonna give this a try today or tommorow lets hope for the best!! Thanks alot for all the input guys, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-13, 01:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Yep thats what I was planning on doing, well the rings arent stuck anymore its just the collar now. Im gonna give this a try today or tommorow lets hope for the best!! Thanks alot for all the input guys, it is greatly appreciated.
Wait What?

Do you mean the collars aren't stuck the lower mount is? The megan coilovers have 3 rings aka collars on them, 2 holding the spring in place and 1 as a lock nut for the lower mount.
Old 01-31-13, 08:58 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Well at first one of the collars were stuck and then realized that both yes both sleeves or bottom mounts are seized and I cant thread them up to shorten the coil. I tried today after soaking them over night in pb and off the car with a vice grip on the bottom of the mount (to not bend the top part of the mount) and wrenches on the threads (area where collars never had use of being at) to make sure I didnt structuraly damage any part of the coil and did not budge one bit! So now theyl coils are off the car and back to oem in the front looking like I have a bagged LS. Any other ideas? Suggestions????
Old 01-31-13, 09:47 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

At this point, I'm kinda confused on what parts your doing what with. Some pictures might help us a little bit more.
Old 02-01-13, 07:05 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might wanna post pics so its easier to figure out
Old 02-01-13, 01:18 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They can seize if driven through salt without any grease on the threads.

If they are really rusted inside the lower mount you'll never get them out.

This is why we don't recommend buying used suspension...you just never know...
Old 02-15-13, 11:03 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I installed my brand new Megan EZ last week. I went to adjust them the other day and one of my rears got stuck. How good is Megan and their warranty? Do I have to send it back and wait for a new one to come? Cuz that would suck
Old 02-16-13, 12:08 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

how did you get brand new coils stuck
Old 02-16-13, 12:10 AM
Do.Man
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine were stuck on pretty tight when i got it used too, but after a good amount of elbow grease, it loosened up.
it is easier to do it with the car on a lift and with wheels off IMO.
Old 02-16-13, 01:52 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

My megans have only been on the car a couple days now, and I've been playing with the height since I put them in. But everytime I put the spanners to them, they come loose just like they should. Although mine are new, I havn't had any issues with them being stuck.

Could it be possible that people are over tightening them some how?
Old 02-16-13, 03:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

I've had my LP Street since March of '09 (damn almost 4 years now) and i've never had any problems with them. Just adjusted them earlier tonight in fact.
Old 02-16-13, 09:35 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
how did you get brand new coils stuck
I have no idea. All the others were adjusting fine. And when I was doing the last one....it just stopped turning
Old 02-18-13, 01:33 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

So I spoke to Megan Racing about this issue and let me tell you that the customer service is HORRIBLE!!! I sent an email, got no reply, a few days later I sent a new one and spoke to a representative, and it took 3 email and one week for him to recieve the new one. I proceded to call them again and deal with this matter by phone because the replies and them "not recieving emails" was not working out for me. Then after explaining situation they responded by sending me a video of how to "correctly adjust" bottom mounts and locks. After replying saying that all of that was tried and more they tried to tell me to get my story "straight" as of what was done by techinicians from 3 different shops that could not get them to adjust either. Then they said "It did NOT sound like a manufacturer warranty problem" and more of an installation problem. Then I sent pictures of the coil overs they requested and determined that they could not see what was wrong with the coils. AT NO TIME did they say "Send them in and we will take a look at it". So I asked if I could do so, and they said yes but shipping would be at my cost, and if they took look at it and they determine they work then I would have to pay shipping to recieve them back. (Which is understandable if myself or other techs were doing something incorrectly during install) But what appaled me most was that IF they were a manufacturer defect, they would SEND ME the same coils with replacement parts to get them fixed. In other word they would send me the same coils to take to a shop so they can get it all together and fixed. So I will be spending alot more in taking them to a shop and rebuild them with replacement parts. No excahnge of coils or anything... so in other words they are trying to do anything possible to not back their warranty and look for excuses to not pay up. HORRIBLE company to deal with and communication is garbage. I will NOT be sending them in to them and will be buying other company coilovers brand new. Megan Racing has been the worse experience of customer service with anything auto or non-automotive related problem with a manufacturer. I will not be supporting this company anymore by ANY means.

Last edited by djsurfer; 02-18-13 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-18-13, 02:27 PM
JustADream
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you're upset that they wont take your broken coils back that you purchased from some member off a forum? Also expecting them to understand whats going on when you aren't even sure what you are doing?

you're right shame on them!

Should have taken me up on that offer to buy them from you.

Quick Reply: Stuck Nuts on Megan Coilovers (Can't Adjust Height)