LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stuck Nuts on Megan Coilovers (Can't Adjust Height)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 02:48 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stuck Nuts on Megan Coilovers (Can't Adjust Height)

I have just recently bought Megan EZs from another member which I wont mention JUST YET. He has been MIA after buying his coilovers and asking them why the adjusting nuts are stuck. I will expose him and warn everyone else if he does not reply this week. I know that the locking or adjusting nuts shouldnt be tight to the point that the spanner wrenches are bending from so much force Im using to try and loosen them up. I am very concerned that I wont be able to. The rear ones adjusted and turned just fine, and both front ones are stuck on the threads really good to the point that I cant even turn them a smudge. Yes I am turning them the correct way but as hard as I push/pull, nothing is budging. Ive tried putting a flat head in the groove and hammer it, pressure wrench and everything in between. Has anyone had similar problems and how did you loosen up the nuts without damaging the tread on the coils? The coils are already installed and the front is sitting 2 inches too high. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-24-13, 03:57 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually spray it with penetrating lube and heat them up with a torch.. then use a large flat head and a hammer if I don't have the spanner wrenches.
Old 01-24-13, 04:44 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

they are called collars not nuts . if you are from cali, chances are rare that they have seized due to road salt or debris, but it's still possible a rock is wedged against the thread and collar. use a discarded toothbrush to clean the threads round the collars, spray with penetrating lube, let it sit to soak, and try it again. i'd avoid the hammer method for now since you do have the spanners. i know you said you know you are turning it properly but make triple sure you are. i find myself tightening it rather than loosening it half the time.
Old 01-24-13, 07:03 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djsurfer
I have just recently bought Megan EZs from another member which I wont mention JUST YET. He has been MIA after buying his coilovers and asking them why the adjusting nuts are stuck. I will expose him and warn everyone else if he does not reply this week. I know that the locking or adjusting nuts shouldnt be tight to the point that the spanner wrenches are bending from so much force Im using to try and loosen them up. I am very concerned that I wont be able to. The rear ones adjusted and turned just fine, and both front ones are stuck on the threads really good to the point that I cant even turn them a smudge. Yes I am turning them the correct way but as hard as I push/pull, nothing is budging. Ive tried putting a flat head in the groove and hammer it, pressure wrench and everything in between. Has anyone had similar problems and how did you loosen up the nuts without damaging the tread on the coils? The coils are already installed and the front is sitting 2 inches too high. Thanks in advance!!!
Are you trying to adjust the collars on top or the bottom one? I had this issue before and it was all dirt that causing it not to spin. I air blow the strut and just use the spanner and loosen the collar the right direction. Also I loosen it while the strut bottom bolt was still in other wise it would just spin the whole thing
Old 01-24-13, 07:33 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^ like he said, are you trying to adjust the top two collars or the bottom collar? the easiest way to loosen up the top two collars is when they're off the car so you get the maximum leverage and space. you basically get the large wrench and put that on the top collar (push clockwise) and then the smaller wrench on the collar underneath the 1st collar (push counter clockwise), push both collars at the same time in the opposite directions and they should budge loose.

if you're trying to get the bottom loose, easiest way is to get your handy dandy flathead screwdriver and wedge it into the slots of the collar and get a hammer and hammer it so that the collar spins counter clockwise.

if that doesnt work, take the coils off of the car, get your screwdriver and stick it in the bottom strut whole of where the long stud goes through and put your knee on the screwdriver, then get your spanner wrench and turn the bottom collar counter clockwise.. it should budge loose.
Old 01-24-13, 09:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you should PM the member and read the classifieds rules before publicly spraying any member.

1-make sure you're loosening and not tightening the collars, it's really easy to get turned around and reversed.
2-PB Blaster soak will help a lot.
3-a rubber mallet (NO METAL SLEDGES!!) tapped on the adjusting spanner will usually break it free if you're going in the right direction.

The only time i'd be worried is if there's visible damage or corrosion on the threads, otherwise it's unlikely there's any under the collar.
Old 01-24-13, 09:25 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this is a pretty common problem on most coilovers, just make sure the threads are clear of any debris and drown the collars with PB Blaster or WD-40, let it sit spray the next day and let sit some more, This is what most people have done to seized coilover collars.
The previous seller hasnt really done anything wrong as far as i know.
Old 01-24-13, 09:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if he sold known seized coilovers there would be a problem with item condition.
Old 01-24-13, 10:04 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

true, that didn't really pop into my mind, when I was trying to free up my ksports I just had to use a bit more force than I would have liked to get my collars to budge.
Old 01-29-13, 02:39 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

So I tried EVERYTHING!!! I could definately NOT heat them up, says so on the coild To not heat, highly under pressure, so thats out of the question. I put in lubricant but still seized. And yes it would be in bad condition without specifying saying that they were working properly. I turned the back ones but not the front for some reason when I picked them up. But yea they are still seized. I contacted member about a week ago and now again today with no reply. I just notcied that not just the nut thats stuck but the bottom collar too, so its definately not gonna drop. The bottom sleeve im assuming is slightly bent preventing from bring it up on the threads!!! If he doesnt reply, good thing I picked them up at his house so finding him will definately not be a problem, only down side is its a 5 hour trip back and forth to where he is located. But Ill definately find him!
Old 01-29-13, 03:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

It is work but take them out of the car, remove the top hat along with spring and have a go with the wrenches that way. With the spring adding tension, it isn't helping.

For future reference, making sure threads have a coating of grease/anti-seize applied makes adjustments easy and achieves proper torque values when called for. GL.
Old 01-29-13, 05:09 PM
JustADream
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

want to sell them?
Old 01-29-13, 09:38 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Heating a pressurized shock is not a good idea

Last edited by sam12345; 01-30-13 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-29-13, 10:26 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Take them off your car and you'll realize how much easier it is to adjust the coilovers. Trust.
Old 01-30-13, 09:10 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

No I don't want to sell them I just bought them. And yea thats what im about to do. Put it on a vice, clean them up and see how I can get them unstuck. Ill keep you guys posted thanks for the help. My car looks like its on bags since the rear is slammed and the front has another 2 inches to drop.

Quick Reply: Stuck Nuts on Megan Coilovers (Can't Adjust Height)