LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this LS400 worth picking up??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 03:37 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this LS400 worth picking up??

Hello, I currently own an SC and recently the LS400's have caught my interest. So I wanted to ask is this a decent deal?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3532106922.html

180K for 5800? How much do you think I can get it down for? And also how much should I be expecting to pay for a 97-00 LS?
Old 01-21-13, 04:04 PM
BobN54
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, that's a fair price for a '99 if it's current on maintenance (e.g timing belt was done), everything on it works, and it's accident free. Check CARFAX if serious.
Old 01-21-13, 04:44 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

seems like an average deal to me if, like stated, has all the maintenance up to date. at that mileage the timing belt should have been replaced at the second interval (first at 90k then at 180k). you can use that as a bargaining chip since it's at least a $1000 job.
Old 01-21-13, 09:08 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a good deal from the info given. Most likely the timing belt has not been done (the second time) and that's probably the motivation to sell but it's still a good deal if everything checks out.
Old 01-22-13, 02:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

good deal for the area if the timing belt was done, otherwise just about average.

i'm actually bouncing around the south bay right now
Old 01-22-13, 11:45 AM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
good deal for the area if the timing belt was done, otherwise just about average.

i'm actually bouncing around the south bay right now
Thank you for your help. About how much would you pay for an LS? Seems like 98-00 is the way to go. There is another one 94k miles for 7400 on Craigslist Southbay
Old 01-22-13, 01:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

i would gladly pay a grand or two more for HALF the mileage lol.

the car you're talking about looks clean (the black one in danville?) and the price is about right. Factor in another $500-700 off if the timing belt hasn't been done.
Old 01-22-13, 03:56 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LMoney4o8
Thank you for your help. About how much would you pay for an LS? Seems like 98-00 is the way to go. There is another one 94k miles for 7400 on Craigslist Southbay
Anytime I see such low miles on such an old car I suspect salvage title so make sure it is kosher. But yes I would get one with 94k over the other one assuming they are both in good working order. By the way at 94k my bet it also needs the timing belt done
Old 01-23-13, 09:30 AM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Let me ask you guys this question then, why not a GS over an LS?
Old 01-23-13, 12:30 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by LMoney4o8
Let me ask you guys this question then, why not a GS over an LS?
GS shares the platform with the IS, where the LS is simply on it's own platform altogether. LS is flagship of Lexus, more reliable, more luxurious, roomier, and overall better engineered. the GS is more sporty overall with better lines. to me the GS is the honda civic of the big body sedans, too common and it takes a lot to stand out.
Old 01-23-13, 02:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

there's also a significant difference in build quality between the GS' and LS' of the same year, the GS doesn't feel BAD but the LS just feels noticeable better/nicer.
Old 01-23-13, 05:51 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
GS shares the platform with the IS, where the LS is simply on it's own platform altogether. LS is flagship of Lexus, more reliable, more luxurious, roomier, and overall better engineered. the GS is more sporty overall with better lines. to me the GS is the honda civic of the big body sedans, too common and it takes a lot to stand out.
I have both and it all depends what you are looking for. But the GS is a Toyota not a Lexus. But it's lots of fun to drive. Everything rattles like it was made by Gm.
Old 01-23-13, 07:43 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sam12345
I have both and it all depends what you are looking for. But the GS is a Toyota not a Lexus. But it's lots of fun to drive. Everything rattles like it was made by Gm.
The LS isn't a Toyota? I'm confused? I'm looking for reliability, luxury, and one of the deal breakers is that it will be different. There are tons and tons of GS around here in Norcal that I see around fixed up. My friends been telling me LS looks like a granny car stock but they don't know what I have in store for it haha.

If it is not too much to ask, can you give me your perspective between the two cars? What you like and what you dislike between the two? Why should I get a LS over a GS? Please feel free to chim in too PureDrifter and anyone who sees this post. THE LS forum seems a little quiet compared to the SC and GS side.

Again, thank you guys for your help and personal opinions, it has been lots of help to me!
Old 01-23-13, 07:59 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i started off with an '03 acura tl-s. sold it, got an '03 lexus gs300 black/black sportdesign which is rare as hell. i sold it in 2 months simply because of all the stuff i had to do to it in order to get it to my likings. it's just the common problems (door lock actuator, slight dent on the passenger door, key fob wasnt working, etc etc) on the 2gs that prompted me to sell the car. there was a huge list of things i needed to get done but i had no money for (i was broke after buying that car). i probably would've stuck to the gs still if it was a 430 since the 300 is just too slow for me.

anyways.. sold the gs, got a '98 LS and oh boy, i immediately fell in love with it. the ride quality feels so much nicer. there were definitely less common problems on the LS compared to the GS so that gave me some peace of mind. i liked the automatic reverse tilt for the side mirrors and the autolevel for the headlights. options like that makes me enjoy the car even more. i personally would've gotten a '99 or '00 if i took my time looking for the car, but since i got the LS for a very good price, i had to settle for my '98. i just wished the original owners of the vehicle chose the optional woodgrain wheel and shifter option along with the heated seats. navi i could care less about because it would've been way out of date anyways. also, the stock system in the LS is so much nicer than the GS.

in terms of why i would choose the LS over the GS is because the LS is top of the line. you see GS' everywhere nowadays, either modded or stock. but how many 2LS' do you see driving around (stock and modded).... not much! i felt like if i was going to put money into the GS, it would just look like everyone else's out there and there's too much competition already. but in the 2LS' scene, i feel like there's only a handful of us out there. you see so many 91-94 LS and occasionally some 95-97 LS, but 98-00 LS when modded, are a rare sight to see. and when done right, it will stand out from the rest.

Last edited by xtremex626; 01-23-13 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-23-13, 08:09 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xtremex626
i started off with an '03 acura tl-s. sold it, got an '03 lexus gs300 black/black sportdesign which is rare as hell. i sold it in 2 months simply because of all the stuff i had to do to it in order to get it to my likings. it's just the common problems (door lock actuator, slight dent on the passenger door, key fob wasnt working, etc etc)on the 2gs that prompted me to sell the car. there was a huge list of things i needed to get done but i had no money for (i was broke after buying that car). i probably would've stuck to the gs still if it was a 430 since the 300 is just too slow for me.

anyways.. sold the gs, got a '98 LS and oh boy, i immediately fell in love with it. the ride quality feels so much nicer. i liked the automatic reverse tilt for the side mirrors and the autolevel for the headlights. options like that makes me enjoy the car even more. i personally would've gotten a '99 or '00 if i took my time looking for the car, but since i got the LS for a very good price, i had to settle for my '98. i just wished the original owners of the vehicle chose the optional woodgrain wheel and shifter option along with the heated seats. navi i could care less about because it would've been way out of date anyways. also, the stock system in the LS is so much nicer than the GS.

in terms of why i would choose the LS over the GS is because the LS is top of the line. you see GS' everywhere nowadays, either modded or stock. but how many 2LS' do you see driving around (stock and modded).... not much! i felt like if i was going to put money into the GS, it would just look like everyone else's out there and there's too much competition already. but in the 2LS' scene, i feel like there's only a handful of us out there. you see so many 91-94 LS and occasionally some 95-97 LS, but 98-00 LS when modded, are a rare sight to see. and when done right, it will stand out from the rest.
Appreciate to have read what you had to say.

Quick Reply: Is this LS400 worth picking up??