LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anniversary LS with a few issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-12, 11:54 AM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anniversary LS with a few issues

How's it going guys..

So I've had the car for about a week and it drives GREAT! I am amazed at the technology and high quality of this car compared to newer vehicles I have driven. Honestly its hard to believe this thing is almost 20 years old. With the age of course you'd expect a few issues and I have a couple of questions regarding them.

1. When I come to a stop light sometimes the car will idle down quick and level out. However it has shut off twice since I've been driving it and its when I press on the gas. Almost feels like chokes for a second then it goes back to normal. I thought it could be the ECU Capacitor but after speaking to a Lexus service manager it sounds like I may need to clean the throttle body. Has anyone had this issue and what solved it?

2. Is there a ground wire for the RPM gauge? It doesn't work but the speedometer does. Park and reverse light up on the cluster, but neutral and drive don't. Maybe a bad connection?

3. I have a black **** underneath the dashboard that turns left and right.. what is it?

4. How many 1994 Anniversary model's were made? Where can I source new center caps and mats for the car because Lexus didn't have it in their computer system.

I know to use the search but the responses on those threads are non descriptive and don't answer my questions. This info may have been brought up plenty of times but this is a message forum. Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails Anniversary LS with a few issues-20121227_183433.jpg  
Old 12-30-12, 12:15 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

1. clean the throttle body butterfly area with throttle body cleaner - the butterfly is located not too far into the intake area with the black rubber air tube removed - spray in there and work the throttle by hand, you are trying to remove a sticky goo that is likely on both sides of the butterfly valve - keep wiping out the soiled cleaner with shop towels and wear a respirator - that stuff causes cancer! - if the butterfly cleaning doesn't fix it, then would be the time to think about doing the ECU caps.

2. Sounds like you need to do all of the electrolytic caps in the cluster as well - basically the same job as doing the ECU caps

3. either volume for security beep or optional radar detector if equipped

4. original floor mats are here - they are just the standard correct original 94 mats, not special for anniversary edition

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-30-12 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-30-12, 01:41 PM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
1. clean the throttle body butterfly area with throttle body cleaner - the butterfly is located not too far into the intake area with the black rubber air tube removed - spray in there and work the throttle by hand, you are trying to remove a sticky goo that is likely on both sides of the butterfly valve - keep wiping out the soiled cleaner with paper towels and wear a respirator - that stuff causes cancer! - if the butterfly cleaning doesn't fix it, then would be the time to think about doing the ECU caps.

2. Sounds like you need to do all of the electrolytic caps in the cluster as well - basically the same job as doing the ECU caps

3. either volume for security beep or optional radar detector if equipped

4. original floor mats are here - they are just the standard correct original 94 mats, not special for anniversary edition
I'll try and jump into cleaning the throttle body this week while I'm off, thanks for the input. Hopefully it isn't the ECU but I may just send it in to have a rebuild. It isn't too expensive.
Old 12-30-12, 02:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1-clean the throttle body, should fix it 8/10 times.
2- could be the cluster, but before you touch it check the trunk hinge harness for problems, the PRNDL lights going nuts is a classic symptom. (fix here courtesy LexLS)
3- volume for the factory keyless alarm confirmation beep.
4- could have been a dealer special, posting a picture will help.
Old 12-30-12, 04:37 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpoGeorgi
3. I have a black **** underneath the dashboard that turns left and right.. what is it?
On/oiff or volume control for the remote locking beep?

Edit: Sorry ... see that's already been answered.

Here is a link to the 1994 LS400 specs including a blurb about the Anniverary Editiion having different floormats: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1994/1994LSspecs.pdf

Last edited by Kansas; 12-30-12 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Crap!
Old 12-30-12, 08:06 PM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
2- could be the cluster, but before you touch it check the trunk hinge harness for problems, the PRNDL lights going nuts is a classic symptom. (fix here courtesy LexLS)
Trunk hinge harness is underneath the truck carpet correct? They don't go nuts, but I did just notice my exterior reverse lights and the lower brake light on the drivers side don't work, even when I replaced the bulb for it (lower brake light). I may just take it to the shop, I've never been good with electronics.
Old 12-30-12, 10:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpoGeorgi
Trunk hinge harness is underneath the truck carpet correct? They don't go nuts, but I did just notice my exterior reverse lights and the lower brake light on the drivers side don't work, even when I replaced the bulb for it (lower brake light). I may just take it to the shop, I've never been good with electronics.
no, it's on the trunk hinge itself...

usually just a broken wire or wires that needs to be soldered back together.