LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My adventure to Function/Form!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 04:58 PM
bobafreak
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would suck being out of state but since we are in cali turn arounds or quick. also to update the box says 89-00 which is incorrect. Its only for the ucf20. Forgot to mention that. Shortly within a few months they will work on the older model......like always no love for the ucf10..... lol.

Last edited by bobafreak; 11-15-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 05:28 PM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bobafreak is right! Ive heard everything you guys know also! I cant wait, But on the other hand, yeah out of state guys im sure they can work with you if anything needs to be replace. But yes, i forgot to mention what boba said, the label is wrong and will be fix soon. Does anyone know if coils are the same for the the later years like the 95 etc?
Old 11-15-12, 05:44 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

95-00 are all the same iirc.
Old 11-15-12, 06:00 PM
bobafreak
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shmee
95-00 are all the same iirc.
Thats correct i was going by the box 1st pictured which was incorrect.
Old 11-15-12, 09:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bobafreak
That would suck being out of state but since we are in cali turn arounds or quick. also to update the box says 89-00 which is incorrect. Its only for the ucf20. Forgot to mention that. Shortly within a few months they will work on the older model......like always no love for the ucf10..... lol.
If the damper body is that much reduced over the megans then it should fit into a 1st gen just fine. the main differences between 1LS and 2LS is overall length and stroke.

that's why 1LS coils fit either generation, but coils made specifically for the 2LS (like Tein CS) don't work properly on the 1LS.
Old 11-15-12, 09:31 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

That's a nice looking coilover but with the steel body, they are going to run into corrosion problems anywhere that sees the slightest incliment weather in winter time. We get super mild winters up here but even so, steel body coilovers get rusty pretty quick.
steel and snow........let me see. 90% of suspension components on a car are steel. stock shocks are steel. Oh well, time to sell my car and get that aluminum fixie I've dreamed of with paddle tires for the winter.

just kidding. I think in that area the coating more than material would be the proving ground.

I like how low they are out of the box, though.
Who builds their shocks and tests the dampening?
One thing I have found over the years with budget coilovers is that the product consistency between shocks and springs is pretty wide. Granted for being slammed the valving accuracy is not a huge priority but variance in one area usually denotes that the attention to detail of others is not the highest of priorities... All of which can lead to reduced life-expectancy of a product.
To my understanding all this data will be avail. shortly. I do not know if I am able to disclose that but I'll get info. in due time for everyone - if I can. As for consistency everything has a spec/tolerance. One twist of preload can change a lot. This of course does not hold value to an noticeable variation between shocks - granted all your suspension bushings are in top shape.

What's the warranty like?

I went with BC's simply because if I ever blow a shock, its <$100/shock and no downtime to replace unlike Ksports which cost more and require you to send in the old parts to get replacements...
Standard 1-YR but they do offer extended warranty "Peace of Mind Plans."

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
If the damper body is that much reduced over the megans then it should fit into a 1st gen just fine. the main differences between 1LS and 2LS is overall length and stroke.

that's why 1LS coils fit either generation, but coils made specifically for the 2LS (like Tein CS) don't work properly on the 1LS.
I hope this is true...........anyone willing to be the guinea pig and confirm?
Old 11-15-12, 10:33 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMJNKY
steel and snow........let me see. 90% of suspension components on a car are steel. stock shocks are steel. Oh well, time to sell my car and get that aluminum fixie I've dreamed of with paddle tires for the winter.

just kidding. I think in that area the coating more than material would be the proving ground.
Lol, yeah yeah...
Remember that stock shocks also do not have threaded sections and movable parts on the exterior!

Steel body coilovers tend to have issues getting seized on the threads. I deal with them a lot up here and while you are right about the coating being the major factor, the threads is one are where most companies hands are tied when it comes to coatings. There are some ultra thin coatings out there that do not cause issues with threads but they also tend to not hold up to salts and serious winter road grime. A lot of high-dollar Coilovers out of Europe come with SS bodies for this reason.
Harsh winters on even a Aluminum Coilover can render the threads useless after just one season.

I'm not ripping on the product by any means, I'm assuming they are probably even reading this thread. My only hope is they understand what i'm trying to say and perhaps figure out a fix/solution to such a problem as i'm sure a lot of the norther states would be all over a ultra-low coilover that could hold up to harsh winters!

To my understanding all this data will be avail. shortly. I do not know if I am able to disclose that but I'll get info. in due time for everyone - if I can. As for consistency everything has a spec/tolerance. One twist of preload can change a lot. This of course does not hold value to an noticeable variation between shocks - granted all your suspension bushings are in top shape.
Excellent!
and yes, if you're car is not in top shape, such things really become moot.

Standard 1-YR but they do offer extended warranty "Peace of Mind Plans."
Interesting..
Would love to hear more info on this!
Old 11-15-12, 11:34 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMJNKY
I hope this is true...........anyone willing to be the guinea pig and confirm?
No "hope" or "guinea pig" needed. The Tein CS at minimal settings was 2.5" longer and would not fit in a 1-LS. A 1-LS designed adjustable coilover will fit 89-00. Looking at a Tein CS (2-LS) and a 1-LS JIC Magic FLT-1A is just like looking at the differences between the Megan and these F/F units.
Old 11-16-12, 04:26 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

nice sleepy! i was talking with preston a few months back and he saw my LS and wanted to prototype on it when they were in discussions with going into the VIP and euro markets. i had to turn it down since i was going with air suspension already but glad to hear they are doing air suspension soon too? definitely a great guy to deal with and the stands by his products. known FF since my honda days!
Old 11-17-12, 08:38 AM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

S/O to my boy Anderw for making this video while we did the install!
Old 11-17-12, 10:22 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice vid Sleepy
Old 11-17-12, 02:16 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

pretty sick vid julian. really liking the new setup!
Old 11-19-12, 10:39 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

love it! did you do the install, or did the guys at FF do it all? did you just copy the height settings off your megans?
Old 11-19-12, 03:36 PM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

I help the FF fam to put it on it was real quick. I had to raise it up to make it back home it was wayyy tooo low! hahaha. But yeah im working on getting it back low again.
Old 11-19-12, 05:43 PM
JPratt
Rookie

Haha, that video is sick!!!

Quick Reply: My adventure to Function/Form!