LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS 400 shaking when braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 09:45 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you bothered to check the rear brakes? you havent fully described what is shaking, what type of shake, or even exactly how the car shakes.

i put a dollar on rear rotors, just from your vague description and a nearly fully rebuilt front end.
Old 06-07-12, 04:31 PM
HOUDINI
Driver School Candidate

Tires on the front are brand new and balanced. I put the car in neutral and braked from 40mph down to zero and it shook almost all the way to a stop so there was no torque or stress on engine or transmission so Im concluding that mounts and transmissions mount is ok since it was in neutral and under no stress.The shake almost feels like a hop or thump so im at my wits end.I have done no repair work at all to the rear except to replace wore pads. I have no pulseing in the brake pedal so I feel all rotors are good and the front ones are new. Could a problem in the rear make the front feel a hop/shaking feeling? ILL listen to any idea anyone has.

Last edited by HOUDINI; 06-07-12 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 09:38 PM
BOOGEYMAN4
Rookie

Originally Posted by HOUDINI
Tires on the front are brand new and balanced. I put the car in neutral and braked from 40mph down to zero and it shook almost all the way to a stop so there was no torque or stress on engine or transmission so Im concluding that mounts and transmissions mount is ok since it was in neutral and under no stress.The shake almost feels like a hop or thump so im at my wits end.I have done no repair work at all to the rear except to replace wore pads. I have no pulseing in the brake pedal so I feel all rotors are good and the front ones are new. Could a problem in the rear make the front feel a hop/shaking feeling? ILL listen to any idea anyone has.
Do you have a wobble in the shifter area also?
Old 06-07-12, 10:13 PM
Justinkm
Driver

I have a wobble in the shifter area when im breaking.. Only at high speeds going downhill
Old 06-15-12, 07:05 AM
Boyscout
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine did this too...only at braking from high speeds. i had a warped front disc. I put new ones on and now more wobble
Old 06-15-12, 07:32 AM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have the pulsation at all speeds down to zero, that would lead me to believe that it is likely a rotating part and could as easily be in the rear. Have you looked at axle shafts in the rear and hubs at all 4 corners. New bearings pressed into a hub that isnt square or mounted to a shaft that is damaged could pulse the brake hydraulics.

Hope you hit some pay dirt soon.
Old 06-15-12, 08:29 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

You said tie rod ends, did you do the inner also or just the outer?
Old 06-16-12, 11:20 PM
BOOGEYMAN4
Rookie

I've narrowed my problem down to Strut Bushings and Warped rotors. I'm replacing both but which should come first?
Old 06-20-12, 04:49 AM
HOUDINI
Driver School Candidate

Looks like I have some bushings worn out in the rear also. The rear lateral arm bushings seem worn.I can physically move the arm from side to side where it mounts to the hub ,but I dont know if this would make the front shake like i have been experienceing.The problem could be in the rear and vibrating to the front. Anyone know what kind of problems worn bushings on the lateral arm would cause? A shaking or hoping or vibration when braking?
Old 06-25-12, 05:01 AM
HOUDINI
Driver School Candidate

Talking Shaking Finally Gone

Finally I can say that all the shaking was cause by the worn bushings in the rear. I replaced the bushings with ones I purchased off of ebay, adus 583 kit, $46.00 x 2, adus 505 x 2, $33.92, and adus 5056 $33.92 x 2. for a total cost of $224.00. Overall it took me a good 8 hrs to do both sides and I would say it was a 6 out of ten as far as difficulty. If your going to replace them yourself, have a good 1/2 in ratchet set and a long breaker bar and remember to mark your alignment marks for the rear lateral arm on both sides so you dont have to get an alignment.I would like to thank all those here on the forum who posted messages about the rear trailing arm and rear lateral arm bushings. Ebay is the best place to get these bushings.The origional bushing on the car were totallly worn.The lower bushing on the rear trailing arm was totally gone except for the center sleave, no rubber at all was present. If you can move this rod by hand by twisting and sliding side to side, yours are gone too. It caused excessive shaking when braking and clunking when hitting bumps.Now that my front end is all rebuilt and the rear is ok, I can enjoy some smooth riding for another 100,000 miles. Curently have 225, 000. Thanks all!

Last edited by HOUDINI; 06-25-12 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 06:07 AM
AussieAuto
Rookie

Please help, after replacing half the front end parts on my 94 ls 400 i still have a shaking in the front end that i cant get ride of. I have replaced the following parts, struts, lower control arm bushing, rotors, pads, tie rod ends,lower ball joint, upper ball joints, rebuilt calipers, new brake lines and had an alignment done.The shaking is not a pulseing in the brake petal but a shaking in the front end, so i know its not warped pad or roters which i replaced anyway. It will contine to shake even as the car slows to 10mph and less so its not just at highway speeds.Any helpful idea would be helpful.
Does the steering wheel shake or is it in the vehicle ? Because you say that it is a shake even down to 10mph and if you feel it in the seat when braking then it is in the rear discs/rotors or even rear lower knuckle bushings... Or is it in the steering wheel itself?
Old 06-25-12, 06:10 AM
AussieAuto
Rookie

Sorry about ^^^ i didn't red through to end of thread before posting, my bad...
Old 03-05-13, 09:37 AM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Good stuff. I'm experiencing a shutter from what seems to be the front brakes under light load. When pressed harder they smooth out. Seemed to start after I replaced all rotors and pads. I'll be checking my arms and bushing in the rear and also my strut rod bushings. Thanks!