LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help with coilovers??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 12:57 PM
ElSeriousD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with coilovers??

I want to get some coilovers for my 1993 ls400. It's mostly going to be street driving and anywhere a little over or under a 1000$ is my price range. I was looking at some and was almost sure that I was going to go with megans, but then I read a review that they were crap and felt the same on every damper level and this person said to go with teins and when i saw those and looked at the price i was like If there is anybody that can maybe back the megans up or agree there bad or maybe suggest a better coilover. I also looked at D2s ,BC, and Yellow dps and im not sure all of those look great but cant find a extensive amount of reviews actually saying if there good/reliable. The yellow dps are the only ones i could find where they said infinity and lexus driving teams use the yellow dps. I'm not sure the more I look at it the yellow dps look pretty good. If the teins the best option though i might save up money for those. Any advice/feedback/knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 03-08-12, 01:01 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<inb4 PureDrifter>

Welcome to CL.

The search button will be your friend here, as there are tons of threads concerning coilovers already.

That said, myself and many other members here are running Megans and I'd say most of us are quite happy with ours. They definitely DO NOT feel the same on every damper level - with mine, setting to "1" is like riding in a log wagon and "32" is quite smooth given my 20"s. Mine have been on for over 20k miles and the only issue I've ever had is that they squeak quite a bit when the temp gets below 35 or so, but it's nothing some re-greasing won't fix.
Old 03-08-12, 01:56 PM
PointABE
Driver

From what I hear D2's are great for the LS. I have Megan Ez's right now. It worked great up until now where it has a blown shock, only 6 months. Going to deal with warranty services soon.
Old 03-08-12, 02:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yet another reason to go with LP Street.
2 years and counting.

and I would go with BC before D2 any day of the week, D2 have their own long term issues.
Old 03-08-12, 03:23 PM
bwils
Driver School Candidate

I jus installed bc on my 97 couple weeks ago. Totally satisfied so far , they drop real low with the custom kit. And have a nice ride I love it
Old 03-08-12, 10:46 PM
ElSeriousD
Driver School Candidate

Word thank you to everyone so far for all the feedback. I got a week or so befor im gunna decide but im going to keep doin research and im looking forward to more feedback. Thank you
Old 03-09-12, 03:07 AM
egh97t
Driver School Candidate

ElseriousD, I just purchased a set of the megan lps primarily because most guys on here are running them and are fairly happy from what i can see from using the search tool. I am in the same boat as you in terms of use of the vehicle just for street driving. I am going to install them this evening and see how it turns out.
Old 03-09-12, 07:50 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

loved my d2s, didnt have to play with the preload at all to get the rear to go low. have bc on my subaru and its a little rough.
Old 03-09-12, 10:47 AM
UR2slow88
Rookie

for 950 u can get bc custom kit they go real low are more comfortable than megan i think in my opinion had megan ez before...but they are 300 dollars less than bc..but like everyone here said just research and find the best one that suits u
Old 03-09-12, 03:07 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MY opinion:

If you have the $1k I would recommend going with the BCR coilovers, they don't cost much more than Megans and have better features. Like locking lower rings, beefier shock bodies, available rubber mounts, and better ride quality.

Megans will work fine and aren't "crap", and do cost a bit less.

D2's, I do not recommend nor do I recommend the Ksports.

This would come down to budget and personal preference between the 2 I recommend.
Old 03-09-12, 03:39 PM
S30ZG
Pole Position

I installed my BCs that I ordered throught CircuitMS about 8 months ago and have had no issues since. The one thing that I love about the BCs is that with the extreme drop kit you have the ability to get lower than you could ever possibly want. I'm running 18k F 10k R and think I might have the rears revalved (14k or 16k) and upgrade to swift springs at some point soon.
Old 03-09-12, 03:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
MY opinion:

If you have the $1k I would recommend going with the BCR coilovers, they don't cost much more than Megans and have better features. Like locking lower rings, beefier shock bodies, available rubber mounts, and better ride quality.

Megans will work fine and aren't "crap", and do cost a bit less.

D2's, I do not recommend nor do I recommend the Ksports.

This would come down to budget and personal preference between the 2 I recommend.
please differentiate between the LP Street and EZ....

my LP Street have locking lower rings and amazing ride quality so far. what's the shock body diameter on the BC? or better yet, what's the internal diameter of the shock? valve diameter?

the only things i see as potential benefits of the BCs at this point are the available rubber mounts and the ability to custom spec spring rates...
Old 03-09-12, 05:21 PM
timmy0tool

Received 417 Likes on 372 Posts

to me all these entry level coilovers are the same, then they add tweaks here and there to make it more appeal-able to the market. i've seen how function form (started with hondas, who will soon offer coilovers to the lexus and euro markets) products look and it's similar to one out there already. they are all going to range in the same price bracket. of course it's always down to preference and usage. it's def good to get opinions! get the latest and greatest set, though that always means more $.

i settled with BCR coils b/c they were the first available i found. i could have easily went with megan if i found those first. either one may not matter since i plan to do air in the end. again it's all in usage, which most often is daily. i'd be really critical if the LS was going to see track time!
Old 03-09-12, 05:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

....i wish KW made coilovers for the LS :'(
Old 03-09-12, 09:22 PM
ElSeriousD
Driver School Candidate

Word.thank you everyone for all the advice/feedback so far.appreciate greatly!!!im excited to hear how those how thos megan lps work for ya egh97t. I went and contacted megan's company on the coilovers and ther rep gave me a part number i didnt think was for it. I believe it was for a toyota supra. I donnt have the part number on hand il have to post it later.i kno lexus is toyota i just wanna make sure its right. Also anyone kno about the yellow dps one?they do look pretty nasty but if ther garbadge then i dont want them.i was jus wondering if anyone had exp with them.thank you for all the feedback and im looking forward to more

Quick Reply: Help with coilovers??