LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power seat malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 05:25 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power seat malfunction

My driver's seat malfunctioned and I can't move it back and forth or heighten or lower it. It appears that I can recline it however. I'm thinking it may be a loose connection, so I'll going to remove the seat to see if I can determine what the situation is. I understand there's two thick power cables and I have a voltmeter, so I plan on checking those for power and make sure the seat in plugged in to the wiring harness. Here are my questions:

1) On the off chance that my motor is kaput, is there any way I can push the seat back manually?
2) How difficult is it to get the seat out? Will I need some help?
Old 01-27-12, 09:40 PM
BOOGEYMAN4
Rookie

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...es-inside.html
Old 01-28-12, 03:49 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

you wont need any help. 4 mounting bolts for each seat. usually they are covered by a small plastic cover at the end of each seat track... yours will be a little harder since you cant move it around. but take the bolts out and unplug (you might want to remove the batt cable here) the harness's. be careful removing the seats, the seat track edges are "sharp" anyway they can damage your interior.
Keep us posted..

here is a link that might help (photos) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ont-seats.html

Last edited by billydpowe; 01-28-12 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-28-12, 01:29 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Hey Guys... thanks for the links. I'm going to attempt this now and see what the deal is. I'm hoping it's just a loose connection. I stuck my hand under the seat when this happened once before and jiggled the wire and it started working. I attempted this again last night and I heard the seat motor start whirling. I'll circle back and let you know what happens.
Old 01-28-12, 04:52 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

An easy fix fortunately. Once I had the seat up, I removed the wiring harness and it came out very easily. I had the seat repaired a couple of years ago and they had it out of the car and apparently didn't plug the harness back in tightly. I clicked it back in and it seems to work just fine now. I love easy fixes like this and since I've couple of cars I'm working on, I now know how to get the seats out on that one as well.

It was a pain getting to front bolts out though--particularly the one near the shift console--had to use a wrench with a deep offset as a ratchet/socket couldn't fit in there. Fortunately, the seat wasn't up even further or it might have been nearly impossible to get to them.

Question--just in case this ever happens again, is the anyway to manually push the seat back?

Last edited by GKLCPA; 01-28-12 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-12, 07:31 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
An easy fix fortunately. Once I had the seat up, I removed the wiring harness and it came out very easily. I had the seat repaired a couple of years ago and they had it out of the car and apparently didn't plug the harness back in tightly. I clicked it back in and it seems to work just fine now. I love easy fixes like this and since I've couple of cars I'm working on, I now know how to get the seats out on that one as well.

It was a pain getting to front bolts out though--particularly the one near the shift console--had to use a wrench with a deep offset as a ratchet/socket couldn't fit in there. Fortunately, the seat wasn't up even further or it might have been nearly impossible to get to them.

Question--just in case this ever happens again, is the anyway to manually push the seat back?
and your answer is (drum roll please) no.
Old 01-29-12, 07:20 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by billydpowe
and your answer is (drum roll please) no.
Thanks Billy.

The first time this happened a few months back, the seat was all the way forward and hence undriveable. I had just come out of a self service car wash and literally wouldn't have been able to get home, but I got it going again by shaking the power cable and just dismissed it as one of those things. This only came up again because the wife drove the car the other day and had to move the seat up. Like I said, it's a good thing that it wasn't up all the way or this would have been very difficult. I'm a big guy and I had enough problems fitting myself on the floor to get to the front bolts. With the seat all the way forward, that would have been impossible, but with the first aid box removed I might would have been able to reach in and push in the connector. Actually, I could have done that here without removing the seat.
Old 01-29-12, 11:41 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

when you push it in, it should "snap" lock in place, if the catch is broken, do yourself a favor and put a tie strap around it so it wont come out when the little lady drives it....
Old 06-01-22, 05:52 AM
Riverated
1st Gear

Default Seat

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
My driver's seat malfunctioned and I can't move it back and forth or heighten or lower it. It appears that I can recline it however. I'm thinking it may be a loose connection, so I'll going to remove the seat to see if I can determine what the situation is. I understand there's two thick power cables and I have a voltmeter, so I plan on checking those for power and make sure the seat in plugged in to the wiring harness. Here are my questions:

1) On the off chance that my motor is kaput, is there any way I can push the seat back manually?
2) How difficult is it to get the seat out? Will I need some help?
I was experiencing same problem and all I did was turn the seat screw on the rail a quarter turn and wala seat was moving again.