LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Advice on purchasing on a 99 LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 06:40 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Advice on purchasing on a 99 LS400?

Found a bankers exec 99 LS400 with 67k for $8500.00 This seems like a good deal and I am going to go look at the car later today or tomorrow. Is there anything I need to pay special attention to? I have read about front suspension problems with these older models but the mileage is low considering. At what age / mileage does the power steering usually begin to leak? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-13-12 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-13-12, 07:01 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, that's an awesome deal. Besides making sure that it runs and all maintenance are up to date, you should jump on this deal asap.
Old 01-13-12, 08:03 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

At that age the timing belt should have been done even though it's below the mileage to do one. That will be at least $1000.
Old 01-13-12, 08:32 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by McPierson
At that age the timing belt should have been done even though it's below the mileage to do one. That will be at least $1000.
if you do it your self, it is only a couple of hundred, we have done several.
plus I have read many post here about no one ever seeing a busted timing belt, it was usually another piece that failed and caused a problem. like a waterpump or idler bearing.
personally my first Lexus ls400 I bought had a broken timing belt, it was a 94 with 235k miles. I fixed it and drove it for a year before I replaced it. but other than mine, I know of no other.
SO, if I bought this 99 with 67k, I would drive it to 90k and then put one in, being mindful of any engine noises I might hear.
I would be mindful of the T&T operation, the 99's had some problems, mine cost 500 to replace.
checking the dealer records will show if it had the update. .
Also I dont remember any power steering leaks on 98-2000 models, like they did on the first generation LS's.

Sounds like A nice car to me...
Old 01-13-12, 11:49 AM
ls400beave
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like one hell of a deal son! Bring cash and buy that sucker.....
Old 01-13-12, 01:51 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dam, jump on that deal, thats very very good price
Old 01-13-12, 02:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if all is as it should be that is a good deal.

but be wary of shoddy body work and maint.
Old 01-13-12, 03:20 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. Just to give an update. I went for a test drive and the engine and trans are smooth and sweet but the car has an issue with a major pull to the left. I mean it pulls at even 10 miles an hour. Something is wrong. He has all the Lexus dealer maintenance records and it is in good shape body wise, couple little dings and scratches around the car. The other problems are the steering wheel does not move up or down just telescopes and the ashtray, I believe that's what the compartment is, does not open. It is stuck closed.

Car was smoked in I believe though and this is a big turn off for me. You can never really get that smell out unless you replace the whole interior including headliner. The deal is great for the mileage but with the smell and the suspension problem I just don't have a good feeling. According to his records the timing was done as well as other suspension work but I don't know what is up with the pull. It is really bad and the tires are not showing misalignment, but they also look very new, which could be a sign in itself.

Apparently, the car was a company car for Citibank in San Juan, PR and was at one point raffled off to one of its employees a year ago, who is now selling it. I love the fact that the mileage is so low but I am worried it was abused as it was a company car and would not receive the same care as someones baby, if you know what I mean. I just did not have a good feeling about it even though I really enjoyed the ride (except for the hard pull). It also had the top of the line stereo and moon-roof / 6 disk. I let me man know if he fixed the suspension problem I would probably get it but I am just suspicious the car has something bent which is causing the pull. May not be a big thing but I need to buy a car and not have to deal with fixing anything.

I am going to go see another 1999 LS400 with 91000 miles owned by a Toyota salesman who said the timing has been done as well as other work. He is asking $8,995.00 and it looks like it is in better condition.

There is also a 99 GS 400 with 100k and they are asking $7,500.00 Might check that out as well.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-13-12 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-13-12, 04:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Your gut reaction is telling you so keep on looking.

As non-smokers, the tobacco smell would be a big I had a Maxima that the prior owner smoked in. I did what I could but the smell was overwhelming. Sold it after a few months to get one that was a non-smoked in car.
Old 01-14-12, 12:39 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Hey guys, just came back from the other 99 LS400 test drive. I liked the way this one drove much better. Fully loaded model with 91600 miles. He is willing to take $8500 for it. Checked with dealer regarding the maintenance records and they only have records from 06 and above. Just sensor replacements. The man who owns it did not do the timing / water pump but claims the previous owner did at 78000 miles. Of course, I do not know if this is true but the car drives like a dream. Do you think it's worth paying the dealer to do an inspection and check the timing belt and if there is a sticker showing the mileage and date it was changed as the service manager said would have been put on if the work was done at the dealer? Would it be obvious to a trained tech if the timing belt was not changed?

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-14-12 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 02:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

no sticker or dealership logged service record then no go, slash 500-1000 off the price to do a tb/wp.
Old 01-14-12, 05:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Depending on the availability in your area, the $8,500 may not be out of line. If the car looks well maintained, the first owner may have changed the TB early. Some of the "mature" owners tend to do maintenance before if is actually due. My dad is always doing his scheduled maintenance ahead of schedule. That's my dad so YMMV.

I would suspect there would have history on the car if the dealer is connected stateside. Maybe The car was brought over by someone serving in the military originally. If this is Lexus San Juan then service began on the car when it was unloaded in '06. You would have to ask this owner if he brought it in or if it was already there. Or make a call to a mainland dealer to have them look for service history.
Old 01-14-12, 06:21 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
Depending on the availability in your area, the $8,500 may not be out of line. If the car looks well maintained, the first owner may have changed the TB early. Some of the "mature" owners tend to do maintenance before if is actually due. My dad is always doing his scheduled maintenance ahead of schedule. That's my dad so YMMV.

I would suspect there would have history on the car if the dealer is connected stateside. Maybe The car was brought over by someone serving in the military originally. If this is Lexus San Juan then service began on the car when it was unloaded in '06. You would have to ask this owner if he brought it in or if it was already there. Or make a call to a mainland dealer to have them look for service history.
I'm tempted to do a carfax and see if I can find out who the original owner was. The current owner, a Toyota salesman right next to Lexus of San Juan, the only Lexus dealer on the island, says he purchased the vehicle from a doctor who he met when the doc was at the Lexus dealership buying a new Lexus. From what I understand, the current owner did not take the Lexus to the dealership for any repairs. He mentioned knowing a Lexus mechanic in a nearby city. The reason there are no records previous to 06, at least my theory, is that the Lexus service manager said they have deleted all records prior to 06. Why I do not know. I would not be surprised if the timing was done prior to 06.

What if I pull a plug and check the condition? Seems like this would be a good indication yes? If the plugs look good I bet the full service was done.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-14-12 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 06:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Timing belts... Why could they have not done a timing chain.
Old 01-14-12, 07:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Lexus corp. policy is that they do not delete records due to age. (which makes sense as that would pretty much defeat the purpose of maint. records....)

it's a big gamble because if the timing belt breaks or one of the idlers/water pump seizes, the whole engine will become a useless hunk of metal. (95-00 LS400s only).

Quick Reply: Advice on purchasing on a 99 LS400?