LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stretched tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 07:45 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stretched tires

What is the point/benefit of stretched tires?
Old 12-15-11, 07:58 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, did you do any prior searching before making this thread?

People stretch tires to have more clearance from the fender when you're slammed. It allows you to run a wider rim and a lower offset rim and you can have more neg camber. It wouldn't hurt to search next time, there are hundreds of threads like this on many different forums that is accessible from Google.
Old 12-15-11, 08:04 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dont run stretched tires if u dont need to.
Old 12-15-11, 11:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

You should only be stretching your tires if you can answer YES to ALL these questions:
-Are my wheels a pretty aggressive fitment for my car?
-Is my car slammed??
-Have I rolled/shaved my fenders already?
-Have I pulled my fenders just a little (no paint needed)?
-Have I tried adding a little bit of camber (if there isn't much natural)?
-Am I rubbing against the edge of the fender a small amount?
-Will I only stretch enough so that I don't rub, NOT the most stretch possible?

if you can truthfully answer YES! to ALL these questions, congratulations you need to stretch your tires to some degree. Stretching tires for stretching's sake is a stupid idea and looks ridiculous (ever see a car that's too high/weak fitment will fully stretched out tires? yeah....).
Old 12-16-11, 04:28 AM
MorphiuGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stretched tires = 3" + to epeen size

There is no logical reason for it (besides clearance) if that is what your looking for. It is highly unpractical and unsafe. Would I do it? if I had a second car that I don't drive much I would do it to that car.
Old 12-16-11, 06:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by MorphiuGS

There is no logical reason for it (besides clearance) if that is what your looking for. It is highly unpractical and unsafe. Would I do it? if I had a second car that I don't drive much I would do it to that car.
it really depends on how much of a stretch you run.

for example, i've daily driven a 245/35-20 on a 10.5" wheel (~1inch out of spec) for 3 years without any major problems. just enough space between the tire and the fender to fit a key blade.
Old 12-16-11, 10:11 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Dude, did you do any prior searching before making this thread?

People stretch tires to have more clearance from the fender when you're slammed. It allows you to run a wider rim and a lower offset rim and you can have more neg camber. It wouldn't hurt to search next time, there are hundreds of threads like this on many different forums that is accessible from Google.
As a matter of fact I did and I didn't see the why answered. It wouldn't hurt to be nicer around the holidays either. Santa might swap your Lex for a Yugo.
Old 12-16-11, 10:32 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
As a matter of fact I did and I didn't see the why answered. It wouldn't hurt to be nicer around the holidays either. Santa might swap your Lex for a Yugo.
I'm by no means insulting you or putting you down but this question is so frequently asked when you can actually take time out to search without making a thread

Happy Holidays
Old 12-16-11, 03:02 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MorphiuGS

there is a logical reason besides clearance, ever noticed how almost all drift cars run stretch? When you spin a normal tire the torque of the vehicle tries to pin the bead of the tire faster than the tread. witch can cause tread sliding and other harm to the carcase of the tire. Also a stretched tire acts more as one piece with the wheel and does not have horizontal play. with this the tire will spin easier and longer in a sideways motion.
I don't understand why you say it is unpractical or unsafe. Then unpractical is a bit confusing, but nothing i do or own is practical so ill go half/half on that with you. I have run stretched for 3yrs now, I have not increased "close calls" or been in more accidents since my tires got stretched.
This has been constantly attacked for the last few years. There has been no proof that a stretched tire is less safe than a non stretched. I have been to several tire shops and not ran into a problem because of stretch. I believe that if it was unsafe they would not install the tire.
Old 12-16-11, 11:51 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

PD I know you roll 20/9 f and 20/10.5 r, what offsets are you running again? I have been interested in some wheels that are 10.5 + 25 in the rear, and was wondering how it would fit and what kind of work may be needed. I have 10.5 +45 and run 275/30/20 right now.
Old 12-17-11, 02:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by whit3b0y
there is a logical reason besides clearance, ever noticed how almost all drift cars run stretch? When you spin a normal tire the torque of the vehicle tries to pin the bead of the tire faster than the tread. witch can cause tread sliding and other harm to the carcase of the tire. Also a stretched tire acts more as one piece with the wheel and does not have horizontal play. with this the tire will spin easier and longer in a sideways motion.
I don't understand why you say it is unpractical or unsafe. Then unpractical is a bit confusing, but nothing i do or own is practical so ill go half/half on that with you. I have run stretched for 3yrs now, I have not increased "close calls" or been in more accidents since my tires got stretched.
This has been constantly attacked for the last few years. There has been no proof that a stretched tire is less safe than a non stretched. I have been to several tire shops and not ran into a problem because of stretch. I believe that if it was unsafe they would not install the tire.
not to be a downer, but nobody really stretches for performance. people do it for looks on drift cars, but if you reaed up on it it's not really good for traction or progressive breakaway characteristics.

a VERY mild "stretch" is sometimes seen on autocross cars running smaller wheel sizes in order to stiffen the sidewall up a bit for response but otherwise not really.