LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 caliper rebuild (4 piston)...retaining ring or no ring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-11, 04:05 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS400 caliper rebuild (4 piston)...retaining ring or no ring?

I picked up an used set of LS400 4 piston calipers. One side of the caliper had no retaining rings on the boots and the other side has mismatched retaining rings.

- are the rings necessary?
- where do i get replacement rings?

the lexus rebuild kit doesn't have the rings.

help?
Thanks!
Old 12-04-11, 08:33 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how any picture and may i ask what year i have rebuilt my caliper for 95 ls and dont remember any retaining ring. i would like to double verify with you which part.
Old 12-05-11, 10:54 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

so the seals are...
top right - piston seal
bottom right - piston boot
center left - retaining ring

the seal kit from lexus is missing that retaining ring. one caliper did not have rings. the other caliper did. I assume i should reuse the rings on the one that had it. i would like to get new rings since the old ones look pretty bad. any idea where to get them?

i believe it's from a 98 and up 4 piston LS caliper.
Old 12-05-11, 12:13 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mktbully

so the seals are...
top right - piston seal
bottom right - piston boot
center left - retaining ring

the seal kit from lexus is missing that retaining ring. one caliper did not have rings. the other caliper did. I assume i should reuse the rings on the one that had it. i would like to get new rings since the old ones look pretty bad. any idea where to get them?

i believe it's from a 98 and up 4 piston LS caliper.
Thats interesting! When i purchased my rebuild kit it only came with the piston seal and dust boot. When i took apart my caliper i did not see a retaining ring. You should be able to go to the dealership and pick up that retaining ring. They probably can show you a diagram of the different parts that are used in the caliper

or check out
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214915
and
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/parts-c...S400-1998.html

i looked for you and didn't see a retaining ring
Old 12-05-11, 06:29 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

i hear what you're saying. i've seen all the diagrams but for some reason THIS LS caliper has a ring around the boots. i was confused since like you linked there's no part number or a link to a snap ring like that for the LS seal kit. i got the kit and no ring.

so i was surprised that this one caliper has rings on it...of course the other caliper was ring less.

the pic i linked is a generic pic of rebuild kit/seal kit.
Old 12-06-11, 01:30 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbcaliper.html
maybe that link can help shine some light!!!
Old 12-06-11, 06:36 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

the 4 piston set up is different on where the rings go. they are on the outside.

top piston is with ring...bottom without ring,.
Name:  2011-12-05_21-36-19_976.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  94.0 KB

no rings here...
Name:  2011-12-05_21-37-00_34.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  67.5 KB

these are probably not great pics...i'll take better ones tonight.

Last edited by mktbully; 12-06-11 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 10:17 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

i cant even notice a difference, but to tell you the truth if the rings are holding the dust cover for the piston i wouldnt really worry about the rings. the new dust cover will be brand new and tight so it should fit snug.
Old 12-07-11, 06:25 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
i cant even notice a difference, but to tell you the truth if the rings are holding the dust cover for the piston i wouldnt really worry about the rings. the new dust cover will be brand new and tight so it should fit snug.
hmmm...i'll give it a go and see. worse case i'll replace the boot on that one piston. i got all the old rings back on except for one so that one boot w/o the ring is my only concern.

thanks for your input.
Old 04-21-19, 12:49 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Retaining rings required for front caliper rebuild??

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
Thats interesting! When i purchased my rebuild kit it only came with the piston seal and dust boot. When i took apart my caliper i did not see a retaining ring. You should be able to go to the dealership and pick up that retaining ring. They probably can show you a diagram of the different parts that are used in the caliper

or check out
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214915
and
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/parts-c...S400-1998.html

i looked for you and didn't see a retaining ring
Purchase front caliper rebuild kit for 1999 LS400.
, TOYOTA P.N. 04479-50091

Toyota's rebuild kit did not include retaining rings.

As OP questions whether caliper piston seal retaining rings are required, so do I.

If retaining rings are required, what are P.N.s?

This question is for anyone that has actually rebuilt front calipers on a 1998-2000 LS400 or has close up images of clips.

Following image depicts seals included with rebuild kit. The large retaining ring is from the rear caliper rebuild kit and for illustration

Retaing rings?

Lexus parts diagram does not depict retaining rings....
# 04479

Rear caliper exploded parts diagram depicts retaining ring... # 04479A

Last edited by YODAONE; 04-21-19 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 03:13 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

I've bought the Centric caliper rebuilt kits for my 97 LS400 & they all came w/ the retainer rings. Just completed the 2 rear calipers a few days ago. Very easy to do. I was going to rebuild the 2 front calipers as well, however upon inspecting, they're still good so I'll hold off on it for another 10K miles until the front pads are ready to replace. Anyway, the purpose of the retainer ring is to hold the dust boot in place when the piston is moving so it s/b in use, however once the caliper is in place, there's very very little movement on the pistons when you apply the brake so I'm sure you can get away without the rings but again we should use it.
Old 04-23-19, 03:21 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Btw, I've seen many of Yoda's posts & I can tell he's very thorough. I'm not sure why the Lexus' diagram for the front caliper doesn't show the retainer ring. I don't know but as I was saying, there's very very little movement on the pistons once the caliper is in place so perhaps it's not that important.

Last edited by Superfast1; 04-23-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 04:28 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Different year - but my 1991's Lexus rebuild kits came with the retaining c-rings on front and rear. Very different brakes, though. I just happened to come across the old ones when digging through the crap in my garage yesterday, and thought to look, due to this thread.

For my 1991:
04479-50020 rear brake caliper overhaul kit
04479-50030 front brake caliper overhaul kit

I would not worry at all about re-using a c-ring.

If it is supposed to have a c-ring, I would definitely make sure I used one.
Old 04-23-19, 09:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfast1
I've bought the Centric caliper rebuilt kits for my 97 LS400 & they all came w/ the retainer rings. Just completed the 2 rear calipers a few days ago. Very easy to do. I was going to rebuild the 2 front calipers as well, however upon inspecting, they're still good so I'll hold off on it for another 10K miles until the front pads are ready to replace. Anyway, the purpose of the retainer ring is to hold the dust boot in place when the piston is moving so it s/b in use, however once the caliper is in place, there's very very little movement on the pistons when you apply the brake so I'm sure you can get away without the rings but again we should use it.
Good...I'll get the Centric kit as well.
Old 05-25-19, 03:39 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Front caliper seal kit with retaining rings

Finished rebuilding my front calipers using Toyota seal kit.

Apparently the factory did not use retaining rings on the piston external sealing boot.

After extracting the pistons, I observed a ring of crud on the piston lip (brake pad end) that is covered by the external sealing boot.

This suggests moisture and dust are migrating past the seal.

I purchased the Centric front caliper seal kit to acquire the seal rings.

Perhaps the factory dispensed with seal rings due to the close proximity of the bores will not permit proper nestling of rings around external seal

To resolve the issue, I clipped a short section of two of the 4 rings(each caliper) to eliminate interference.

The Centric rubber components were not of the same quality as OEM....and therefore do not recommend them.

Short section removed from two of the 4 external seal retaining rings.

Image depicts one external seal ring slightly clipped. Unless you perform this operation, the proximity overlap of rings interfere and will not nestle under the seal...and will likely pop out. Slight shortening required only on one side of each caliper half.I cut the overlap of the uninstalled ring.

Last edited by YODAONE; 05-25-19 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: LS400 caliper rebuild (4 piston)...retaining ring or no ring?