LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

hankook optimo h727

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 09:44 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hankook optimo h727

put these on the '93 ls last week. very very quiet. got the cushy ride i wanted. they are "T" rated. actually feel pretty close to the michelin destiny we put on the avalon three weeks ago, noting that the ls is 500 lbs heavier. replaced rikon raptors which were "H" rated. all those speeds are so far beyond what i ever drive at, it makes no difference to me. i want the soft ride. the raptors were rated at 40k by discount tire. if i had gone through another 1/32, i would have made it to 40k. i'll report again after some snow experience.
Old 10-18-11, 10:52 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I have had those tires for a year and a half. Very nice and great value. I had a front suspension issue which caused them to cup. Put them on the rears. May switch to mxv4's. In the snow for me was good but we don't get a lot here and its not my daily driver.
Old 12-06-11, 02:13 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

finally got some snow and ice here in denver. i'd rate them at least avberage for sliding. overall i'm very pleased with them. quiet and nice ride.

the new michelin destinys (harmonys other than at discount tire) on our '98 avalon are probably a little better in snow, but remember, that car is 500 lbs. lighter than an ls.
Old 01-23-12, 11:05 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

we've had some more snow. these tires are average in snow and ice. but then, this car is a tank.
Old 01-23-12, 11:24 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I had those on my mini van. They were ranked by Consumer Reports just below Michilens for 1/2 the price. Great all around tire!.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-23-12 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-23-12, 10:19 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denverdog
put these on the '93 ls last week. very very quiet. got the cushy ride i wanted. they are "T" rated. actually feel pretty close to the michelin destiny we put on the avalon three weeks ago, noting that the ls is 500 lbs heavier. replaced rikon raptors which were "H" rated. all those speeds are so far beyond what i ever drive at, it makes no difference to me. i want the soft ride. the raptors were rated at 40k by discount tire. if i had gone through another 1/32, i would have made it to 40k. i'll report again after some snow experience.
hankook optimo h727
good tire for many family cars and minivans.... this is not the correct tire. You should be looking at a tire with AA traction and atleast A tempeture.
I would have stuck with the original speed rating of the car, I don't think any of us commonly go the range of the oem speed rating. But its not just the speed. Its called a speed rating but its way more than that. At a certain G the tire will start to oblong like an egg, at a certain G that egg will break. That G force can be caused by turning, accelerating, decelerating and even weight. The lower the speed rating the less strength the tire has. The carcass of a higher rated tire has more technology in it to keep it round in more conditions. Buy putting the "Wrong" tire on there you are reducing the performance of the vehicle endangering not only your self, family but everyone else. You can get a soft ride in a s,t,h,v,w,y and even a Z.
I have 215/35r19 stretched, on my lowered UCF21. My ride is not uncomfortable. I have done tires for about 10 yrs. You can find what your looking for in the correct speed rating. commonly i hear that as a justification for not wanting to spend the money. You own a LEXUS....
Old 01-24-12, 05:26 AM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whit3b0y
hankook optimo h727
good tire for many family cars and minivans.... this is not the correct tire. You should be looking at a tire with AA traction and atleast A tempeture.
I would have stuck with the original speed rating of the car, I don't think any of us commonly go the range of the oem speed rating. But its not just the speed. Its called a speed rating but its way more than that. At a certain G the tire will start to oblong like an egg, at a certain G that egg will break. That G force can be caused by turning, accelerating, decelerating and even weight. The lower the speed rating the less strength the tire has. The carcass of a higher rated tire has more technology in it to keep it round in more conditions. Buy putting the "Wrong" tire on there you are reducing the performance of the vehicle endangering not only your self, family but everyone else. You can get a soft ride in a s,t,h,v,w,y and even a Z.
I have 215/35r19 stretched, on my lowered UCF21. My ride is not uncomfortable. I have done tires for about 10 yrs. You can find what your looking for in the correct speed rating. commonly i hear that as a justification for not wanting to spend the money. You own a LEXUS....
With me being a tire installer for years, I def agree whit3b0y. All that you said is true.
Old 01-24-12, 08:04 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i would be more worried about the wieght of the car as opposed to any speed rating on a tire..AA traction is rated as all tractions tires..for wet surfaces,so thats important..A temperature is for sustained speeds over 115...so unless ur driving like an idiot or on the autobahn u can get away with lower temp ratings,that tire he has is rated for 100,000 miles and came in 2nd behind michelins in that catagory of tire..so saying that its an unsafe tire..is not true
here are some reviews that i found in about 2 seconds
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews125465.html
Old 01-24-12, 08:26 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

Originally Posted by python
i would be more worried about the wieght of the car as opposed to any speed rating on a tire..AA traction is rated as all tractions tires..for wet surfaces,so thats important..A temperature is for sustained speeds over 115...so unless ur driving like an idiot or on the autobahn u can get away with lower temp ratings,that tire he has is rated for 100,000 miles and came in 2nd behind michelins in that catagory of tire..so saying that its an unsafe tire..is not true
here are some reviews that i found in about 2 seconds
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews125465.html
Its pretty aparent you were unable to read my posting. The DOT came up with the name speed rating, but its not as simple as that.

It does not mean that if I have a car with H rated tires, I can go 130MPH. Once I hit 131MPH all my tires will blow! It means that at 130 the tire has __ G's of force applied in a direction. So if I'm accelerating up a hill with a __ % grade at __ MPH it has the same __ G's of force applied in the same direction as if the car was traveling at 130MPH. I'm not saying that the tire is unsafe, I'm saying that the tire is an unsafe match for the LS400. It cane in 2nd behind a MICHELIN, that is also an unsafe match for the LS400. The MXV4 would be a great match for the car. or if you wanted to stick with Hankook the Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 is an excellent tire as far as comfort and quit ride.
Once again It sounds to me like he is using "quite and comfortable" as a justification to himself for not wanting to spend the money. Not only is it cheaper than most in the correct speed rating but has 2x the mileage warranty, meaning he has to buy half as many tires in the same mileage period. Believe me I see it all day long, another example is putting only 2 new tires on an all/4 wheel drive.
The weight of the vehicle is totally compatible tho, he did get that correct i don't know why you would be worried of that more than an incorrect speed rating.
This is your first example to back up your ignorance.

"Guest

Review of Hankook Optimo H727
★★★★★

Written on: 06/03/2011

I have a 2000 Grand AM I had some Coppers on my car before the Hancook blew the cooper lifeline out of the water stay awawy from Cooper Life liners they have ok at best traction on dry pavent . Hancook over all is a great tire great in the snow and slush but on ice they are good like Black ice or smooth ice then agein I have not found a tire that is great on the ice yet . I put 10000 mile on these tires and most likely the tire will out last my car so spent the extre $25.00 per tire these are great tires Marthan of Traverse City does a great job there shop is clean and you can trust them "

1. He owns a Pontiac Grand Am...
2. He's downing an all season tire because he believes it gets poor traction on ice...
3. Of course his tires will out last his car its a Pontiac Grand Am....
4. He's bragging of the extra 25.00 per he spent...
5. He can't even spell
Old 01-25-12, 06:36 AM
python
Lexus Champion

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fil...&fcsr=*&fclr=*
read up..those are all the recommended tires for a 1993 LS400..look at the recommended speed ratings...and watch who u call ignorant because the next time im gonna flame you with no regard..you dont know me
Old 01-25-12, 06:26 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rome99LS
With me being a tire installer for years, I def agree whit3b0y. All that you said is true.

Just sayin......

point proven . Have a good day

GL with your tires, just glad you don't drive in the NW around me.
Old 01-26-12, 04:06 AM
python
Lexus Champion

lmfao...alright, if u say so
Old 01-26-12, 09:23 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Higher speed rating tires generally do not last as long, but I can tell you having the same model tire (General Altimax HP) V rated and H rated, the V is a much smoother and better traction tire. I won't go back to the H rated in this brand. Not BAD by any means. The V rated had NO weights on one and almost no weight on the other. The H had a lot of weight. And the V rated thru its lifetime didn't need to be rebalanced, the H did. Cost per tire was less than $10 a tire difference at the time I got them. The car I had them on is speed limited to 108, but the V rated tires were worth it. And I got just over the rated miles on them too (on front on a Supercharged FWD)

The Altimax HP is a very good tire for most everything. I would recommend it highly and will use it again. Looks good, FANTASTIC rain traction, good snow traction, good dry traction, good wear. It is an Temp A Traction A tire.