LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 LS400 Overheating Problems. PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 12:54 PM
nslexus19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 LS400 Overheating Problems. PLEASE HELP!!

Hey Guys, I am brand new to this forum. I just purchased a 91 lexus ls400 and wow problems galore. I would really appreciate any feedback or advice. I do not want to go to a mechanic. Thank you i really appreciate it.

1. The Radiator has a big leak, like huge hole in the top of it. Now i know that needs to be replaced. I have no idea how long they were driving on that, so should I be replacing the Water Pump, Thermostat as well?

2. Im not quite sure if it has a clutch fan, now im pretty sure that is really bad, but correct me if im wrong, that can lead to a lot problems correct?

3. Whenever i press the gas down all the way, there is no guts, its powerless and the check engine light turns on. Could that be as simple as spark plugs?

Thank you for your time and help. I am only 19, and used to working on Jeeps. So this is a new area for me.
Old 07-26-11, 12:54 PM
nslexus19
Driver School Candidate

OH also RPM's do not work. Forgot about that.
Old 07-26-11, 05:34 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

need alot more info and you need to scan your check engine light to see what the codes are just for starters , if you search the forums you can find out how to scan the check engine light with just a paper clip pen and paper.. good luck
Old 07-26-11, 05:52 PM
305ls400
Rookie

here you can find all codes and help on hpe do to some things you're going to need to do to your car

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/
Old 07-26-11, 08:45 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

first off....yup, the radiator needs to be replaced. you shouldnt be driving it....not even down the street. if the car is low on coolant, and you drive it...the heads cant cool efficiently and could cause critical damage. warped heads,headgaskets, could ruin your compression. bad compression could cause very poor performance.
as well as bad ignition components. even a jumped timing belt could cause this.

first things first....radiator and check the codes as willhickey stated. and then you have a base to work from.

second....if you arent sure if the car does or doesnt have a fan clutch, how do you know its bad?
to help you......yes...it has a fan clutch. if its bad..as in unable to lock,up, this will create inefficient airflow and could cause overheating issues...but you have a hole in your radiator....so...?
a bad fan clutch can be bad by being permantly locked. not particulary a horrible thing, just means your car sounds like a truck with the engine temps are hot or cold. if I were broke and had no money,i would much rather my bad fan clutch fully engaged than not at all.....just takes longer to warm up from a cold start.
a locked fan clutch will have a lot of resistance when trying to turn the fan by hand with the car off. a unlocked fan clutch will have zero resistance when turning the fan by hand with the car off.

the water pump....well...lets see.....has it ever been changed? because by no means is it a 10 minute job. it involves your timing belt.....big big job especially to the inexperienced.

your t-stat is kinda a no brainer. if the car overheated just once...meaning in the "red"...t-stat should be replaced.

but...first and foremost...the radiator and check the codes
Old 07-27-11, 05:03 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by emarknot
first off....yup, the radiator needs to be replaced. You shouldnt be driving it....not even down the street. If the car is low on coolant, and you drive it...the heads cant cool efficiently and could cause critical damage. Warped heads,headgaskets, could ruin your compression. Bad compression could cause very poor performance.
As well as bad ignition components. Even a jumped timing belt could cause this.

First things first....radiator and check the codes as willhickey stated. And then you have a base to work from.

Second....if you arent sure if the car does or doesnt have a fan clutch, how do you know its bad?
To help you......yes...it has a fan clutch. If its bad..as in unable to lock,up, this will create inefficient airflow and could cause overheating issues...but you have a hole in your radiator....so...?
A bad fan clutch can be bad by being permantly locked. Not particulary a horrible thing, just means your car sounds like a truck with the engine temps are hot or cold. If i were broke and had no money,i would much rather my bad fan clutch fully engaged than not at all.....just takes longer to warm up from a cold start.
A locked fan clutch will have a lot of resistance when trying to turn the fan by hand with the car off. A unlocked fan clutch will have zero resistance when turning the fan by hand with the car off.

The water pump....well...lets see.....has it ever been changed? Because by no means is it a 10 minute job. It involves your timing belt.....big big job especially to the inexperienced.

Your t-stat is kinda a no brainer. If the car overheated just once...meaning in the "red"...t-stat should be replaced.

But...first and foremost...the radiator and check the codes
do this and report back.....