LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thinking about getting back into an LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 02:10 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about getting back into an LS

Hey folks (I think I still recognize a few names out here)

I haven't posted here in.. years. That's mostly because since my 94 LS400 got totaled in May of 08, I have yet to buy a car-- I've lived car-less for 3 years!

Well the time has come that I need to buy a car. I've been shopping for both new and used, but right now the used market is terrible.. I was thinking about an 07 or 08 GS350, but a GS350 with 50K miles still seems to be going for 30 or over out here, so that doesn't make much sense to me.

Checked out the A4, the 328, the Mazda 3, and a whole ton of other cars all over the place.. The A4 doesn't have the steering feel I expected from it, the 328 is of course amazing, but too expensive, and reliability is a concern, and I liked the Mazda 3. Also drove the new IS but the car doesn't appeal to me that much.

Through the process of car shopping-- I really started to remember how much I miss my old LS.

I'm now thinking about buying a 99 or 00 LS400 as a project car, and then also picking up a new Mazda 3 or something similar for a daily driver. I figure I might be able to find an LS for something in the range of 5-10K.

What do you guys think? Do you think it makes sense to go from 0 cars to 2 cars? Is it a waste of money now to go and buy an 11 or 12 yr old car?

The other problem is-- as much as I want to buy a project car, I just don't think I will actually have any free time to do any serious work-- I'll have to pay other people to do most of it.

Any other cars I should look at?

Hope everyone is doing well
Old 07-20-11, 05:07 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a somewhat similar problem. I bought a 2011 Camry seven months ago. Then, two months ago, my sister decided to sell her '97 LS400 with 156k miles which our parents had bought new. I bought this car from her real cheap with the intention of selling it at a profit. After a few road trips in this old car, I came to really like it. So now I have done a few repairs and maintenance on it with the idea of keeping it.

From a strictly logical perspective Suneet, A new Mazda 3 would likely be more dependable and much cheaper to run than any 11-12 year old complex luxury car. The problem is, these old LS400's are SUCH nice driving cars. If you are not going to work on it much yourself, find the cleanest, lowest mile, best maintained LS you can. Your $10k upper limit should be able to turn up a really nice one.
Old 07-20-11, 11:23 AM
vicious
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robert1408
. Then, two months ago, my sister decided to sell her '97 LS400 with 156k miles which our parents had bought new. I bought this car from her real cheap with the intention of selling it at a profit.
what a douche move.. lol
Old 07-20-11, 11:33 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad to see ya back. Sorry to hear about the ride.

If your commute is served better by a more economical model, that would be a priority. Why pay insurance and have the expense of two cars when one is really necessary? Now if you want some attention grabber for leisure driving/fun I would try balancing the two and a GS 350 is a nice spot.

If you get a project LS that doesn't need lots of maintenance and is ready to go, whatever you do dictates how much down time you'll have with it. Now if you do the VIP fenders, air bag system, new interior with gobs of LCD monitors, etc...expect lots of shop time. The usual wheel and suspension mods will be minimal.

IMO, I'd look at the GS's that are coming off lease nearing 60K miles. Lexus dealer will be higher than the other lots so depends if that $1.5K premium is worth it to ya.

There is the LS430 and for the ~$18K for the later years, you have plenty of mod money you can throw into it based on what a GS350 is priced at. Between the 3-LS and 3-GS, 3-LS.
Old 07-20-11, 01:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

bro call me anytime after 6pm cali time.

we'll talk
Old 07-20-11, 03:44 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by robert1408
The problem is, these old LS400's are SUCH nice driving cars. If you are not going to work on it much yourself, find the cleanest, lowest mile, best maintained LS you can. Your $10k upper limit should be able to turn up a really nice one.
Agreed. I don't think you can buy a nicer driving vehicle than a well maintained pre-owned LS for the money.

Mike
Old 07-20-11, 06:02 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vicious
what a douche move.. lol
Yes, I see how it might seem that way. My sister sold this car to me with the understanding that I would turn around sell it at a profit. I live in Austin Tx. which is a strong market for these cars. She lives in a smaller town well west of here which has little market for such cars. She had tried to sell it but found that to be an unpleasant task. She was surprised when I told her that I really liked the old car and had decided to keep it. She had no emotional attachment to the car but it turns out that I do.
Old 07-21-11, 09:09 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to hear from you! Honestly, I love the LS as well but fuel is so expensive. You may have been lucky to get out while you did. I sold my LS to a friend and he gripes about fuel daily, so much in fact that he wants to just sell it.

But seriously no car for 3 years? How have you been commuting all this time?
Old 07-21-11, 08:37 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

So what happened to your LS in 2008? Anyone hurt? Just curious because I trust the safety of my entire family in two of these things every day.
Old 07-22-11, 04:33 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

I lived in downtown Seattle so I managed taking buses, Zipcar, cabs, etc. Daily commute to work I used the bus.

My LS400 was totaled while I wasn't even in the car. It was parked on the street and someone ran into it.

The damage wasn't catastrophic by any means, but with a 7K repair bill, insurance declared a total loss.. I elected to not repair it after that, which I kind of regret now, but that's how it went. At the time it felt silly to spend another 7K on a 14 year old car with 220K miles on it... even though I had already invested more than the value of the car in it

It's the journey, not the finished result right? That's what I told myself anyways-- I had fun modding it, learning about cars and car audio.. and it treated me well while I had it.
Old 07-22-11, 04:40 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Here's the thread on how the whole hit and run went down, and how I found the guy

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-total-it.html
Old 07-23-11, 07:54 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Damn Suneet, sorry you had to go through that bad adventure in the past. I wasn't around then but it looked like, and sounds like, it was a nice ride. Some good investigating you did, but the one thing you should have done was called the cops the second you found the other car. But, live and learn. About finding another car now, although I love my LS, I don't think it's a good investment right now with the fuel prices the way they are, unless you're not gonna drive it much. I usually drive mine no more then 20 miles a week, until I get back to work. But anyway, I hope ya find what you need. Good luck.
Old 07-30-11, 01:18 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Well guys.. looks like getting a Lexus wasn't in the cards for me this time.

I just picked up a brand new 2011 Mazda 3s Grand Touring hatchback, black on black

I was really thinking about getting a GS 350.. but couldn't find one at a good price, and decided to go for this instead. So far, I've only driven 50 miles on the 3, I literally picked it up earlier today.

Quite a different car from my LS400.. I really miss that car, but this new one is a different kind of fun. Hopefully I'll be back in a Lexus again soon!
Old 07-30-11, 01:21 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Thanks for keeping us updated. Enjoy the 3...post up a pic.
Old 07-30-11, 08:40 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Agreed. Enjoy the new Mazda 3!

Mike

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting back into an LS