LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newby with a question about performance chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 12:37 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

search for the gas, there's a few gigantic premium vs. regular gas threads in the LS forum alone.
Old 06-01-11, 06:49 AM
Goofaroo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real reason why we should be using premium is because of the compression ratio, or CR, which is > 10:1, and the newer they get, the higher the compression ratio. The number that is reference on the pump is the octane rating, not news, I know. In leman's terms, octane is the resistance to detonation. So let's say you take a mid 90's 350 Chevy, it's going to be 9.0:1 compression ratio. It will squeeze the volume in the cylinder 9x smaller from where it starts at bottom dead center, or BDC to TDC. What is important about this is that this is where detonation come into play. The Chevy engine will call for 87 octane, because the more volatile gas, 87 octane will not effectively compress more than (IIRC) 10:1 CR. If you were to use premium in the Chevy engine, you wouldn't notice one bit because the extra resistance to detonation isn't required. Now, for the Lexus V8, which I believe are all at least 10:1 CR, and with VVT-i, it's even more important as the compression ratio will change per firing cycle. If you were to run 87 octane in a UZ V8, the electronics will take care of any real issues with spark timing and fuel trim, so you'll never notice the difference. However, what you don't see is that the 87 octane fuel is actually combusting before the piston reaches TDC, because the fuel to volatile to handle the added pressures of high compression ratios. Likewise, race cars often using ethanol based fuels because they have higher octane ratings, which give them the ability to make more power, while reducing detonation, knocking, and ultimately failure.

I Forgot who Posted this on another Thread but i still give many thanks to that person!!
Nice response. I found the compression numbers listed at 10:4 for my 96 model. Surprisingly high for a car like this. I figured the electronics would take care of ping if it neeed to but I am really surprised at the specs of this engine. I've always been leery of running fuel with too much octane and causing deposits from the less volatile fuel. Of course I also understand that we are splitting hairs here and it would take years of running fuel that was a "bit off" before any sign of problems might occur.

You guys have certainly made me curious to run this tank dry and then try a tank of premium just to see what happens. Any power increase due to the timing adjustment made by the electronics will most likely be impercievable but I should be able to tell if there was any benefit based on the fuel mileage.

Anyhow, it runs great and going into my second day of ownership I am starting to really like this car.
Old 06-01-11, 07:25 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Let's not make this another fuel debate thread, there's too many of them already. But, if you like the car then do what is recommended, like run the right fuel. You wouldn't run the wrong fluids, would you? Sure, the sensors will adjust the timing to be right but what if they aren't working correctly? You want to get some Umph back into your car? Clean the throttle body and everything, and make sure all the sensors are doing thier job correctly. Then worry about adding any performance mods to the car. You only had the car 2 days, make sure it's strong enough first. The first thing I would worry about would be the timing belt if it hasn't been changed yet. These engines will last forever, if they're maintained propperly.