LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Question about value of one-owner 41,000 mile LS400

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-18, 12:10 PM
ignorant1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about value of one-owner 41,000 mile LS400

Newbie here, so pardon my intrusion if this is an inappropriate post.

I’d love your opinions as to value on an orignal-owner 2000 LS400 with only 41,000 miles on it. It was owned and driven by an elderly man and has lots of scrapes, dents, broken lights, etc. It LOOKS like it was driven by an old man that should have stopped driving long ago. Other than that, it has all original paint, and the interior is in good condition other than being absolutely filthy. It’s lived it’s entire life in Southern California, so there is zero rust.

It could either be fixed up to be used as a reliable low-mileage cruiser, or it could be harvested for parts that are practically brand-new. (I’ll bet the engine has never seen 3,000 rpm’s in it’s entire life!

Opinions and input are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-18, 12:20 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Asking price?

How much to fix all dents and scrapes?

What maintenance was performed?

Interior perfect?
Old 09-09-18, 01:19 PM
ignorant1
Driver School Candidate

Asking price?
That's what I'm trying to determine. It's my recently deceased father's car.

How much to fix all dents and scrapes?
Good question. I'll post pics. Warning: It looks like "Mr. Magoo" was driving it.

What maintenance was performed?
It was maintained properly, but at this low mileage it was mostly just oil changes, coolant flushes, and serpentine belts.

Interior perfect?
Looks pretty good except for filth and spilled drinks. No rips or wear to speak of.
Old 09-09-18, 01:39 PM
ignorant1
Driver School Candidate

If I can't get much for it, I'm half tempted to throw some used e-bay lights on it, bang out the bent areas, and spray it with a rattle-can of white paint. It won't look pretty, but it could serve as a comfy reliable beater.

Old 09-09-18, 01:55 PM
Yonny
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would keep it. It's not worth much. It's hard to know because your car is worth as much as someone is willing to give you.
Knowing as little information as I know about the car I would pay 3000$ if you don't touch it but fix it the proper way. Meaning no cheap paint or parts.
Low mileage is a good thing on a new car, but not necessarily on an old one. It could have been seating for years on the same spot and requires some work to do just to prevent any damage. Check the fuel tank, if the gasoline is old it should be extracted and all that.

Last edited by Yonny; 09-09-18 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-09-18, 02:31 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

If you cleaned it up well, put things back in place (corner of driver's side bumper where it meets the wheel well), remove scuff marks on back passenger side, find a set of cheap lights (including front passenger side marker) and install them, I'd say you could get 4 or 5K for it. The low mileage and one owner are the selling points. You would be surprised what a good cleaning and touch up will do. If I came and looked at it as it sits, I would say you would only get 3 or 4k. If you decide to keep it and don't want to spend anything on refurbishing it, you could treat the rust spots and touch those up with the correct paint to make them not stand put so much. Like you mentioned, it would be a nice, safe, comfortable car to drive. Also, 'Spot Shot" is the BEST stain remover for those spills on the console carpet, any carpet actually. Spray it on, wipe it off with a white cloth or towel, and you are done. eBay or a local salvage yard would have the parts. Snag the piece of cladding that goes behind passenger door if you can. That would be a fun restore project!
Old 09-09-18, 02:56 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Sorry to hear about your father. Just want to chime in and provide an unbiased analysis.

From what I can see, here are the pros and cons:

Cons:
- The following front-end parts need to be replaced:
-- Front bumper skin with chrome trim
-- Front bumper right marker light (orange)
-- Front left and right fenders
-- Hood, but grille looks reusable
-- Front turn signal lights
-- Front headlights
- Right mirror needs to be replaced
- Rear right door needs to be touched up, buffed, or repainted
- Rear right quarter panel is dented and has surface rust on bottom edge, edge by tail light, and panel itself (needs repair and repaint)
- Rear left quarter panel has minor surface rust where it meets the rear bumper (near wheel). Can be repaired and touched up
- Left trunk tail light needs to be replaced
- Right outer tail light needs to be replaced
- Rear right quarter panel side molding is missing (with chrome)
- Both front and rear left wheels have curb rash (replace or repair rim)

Pros:
- Interior is in great shape. Just needs to be cleaned
- Left-hand side of car is in overall good shape
- Upper body and glass are in good shape
- 3/4 center caps are good
- No evidence of major frame damage
- Low miles

Also, nice W124 in the background.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 09-09-18 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-09-18, 04:57 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by ignorant1
Newbie here, so pardon my intrusion if this is an inappropriate post.

I’d love your opinions as to value on an orignal-owner 2000 LS400 with only 41,000 miles on it. It was owned and driven by an elderly man and has lots of scrapes, dents, broken lights, etc. It LOOKS like it was driven by an old man that should have stopped driving long ago. Other than that, it has all original paint, and the interior is in good condition other than being absolutely filthy. It’s lived it’s entire life in Southern California, so there is zero rust.

It could either be fixed up to be used as a reliable low-mileage cruiser, or it could be harvested for parts that are practically brand-new. (I’ll bet the engine has never seen 3,000 rpm’s in it’s entire life!

Opinions and input are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
If 18-19 year old timing belt never replaced....then do ASAP. If it breaks your engine is a doorstop.

Sent you a PM
Old 09-09-18, 05:56 PM
ignorant1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yonny
...I would keep it. It's not worth much. It's hard to know because your car is worth as much as someone is willing to give you.
Knowing as little information as I know about the car I would pay 3000$ if you don't touch it but fix it the proper way. Meaning no cheap paint or parts.
Low mileage is a good thing on a new car, but not necessarily on an old one. It could have been seating for years on the same spot and requires some work to do just to prevent any damage. Check the fuel tank, if the gasoline is old it should be extracted and all that.
It was being driven regularly until April. As a preventative measure, after my father died I put some Sta-Bil in the tank just to keep the gas fresh. I didn't drive it again because the tags are out of date.

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Sorry to hear about your father. Just want to chime in and provide an unbiased analysis.

From what I can see, here are the pros and cons:

Cons:
- The following front-end parts need to be replaced:
-- Front bumper skin with chrome trim
-- Front bumper right marker light (orange)
-- Front left and right fenders
-- Hood, but grille looks reusable
-- Front turn signal lights
-- Front headlights
- Right mirror needs to be replaced
- Rear right door needs to be touched up, buffed, or repainted
- Rear right quarter panel is dented and has surface rust on bottom edge, edge by tail light, and panel itself (needs repair and repaint)
- Rear left quarter panel has minor surface rust where it meets the rear bumper (near wheel). Can be repaired and touched up
- Left trunk tail light needs to be replaced
- Right outer tail light needs to be replaced
- Rear right quarter panel side molding is missing (with chrome)
- Both front and rear left wheels have curb rash (replace or repair rim)

Pros:
- Interior is in great shape. Just needs to be cleaned
- Left-hand side of car is in overall good shape
- Upper body and glass are in good shape
- 3/4 center caps are good
- No evidence of major frame damage
- Low miles

Also, nice W124 in the background.
Thanks for your input - much appreciated! Yes, lots of work if one wants to make it all cherry, but I'm thinking it may not be worth the effort, unless one is good with doing their own bodywork. I can wrench quite competently, but am getting old, fat, & lazy. (And I don't do bodywork.) More likely scenario is to sort of piece it together enough to make a relative "beater" out of it. Conversely, that would be a shame on such a low mileage example.

BTW, the W124 is his relatively low mileage E420... and it's gotta go too. Make me an offer! (I've got a 500E stashed in their garage too - and for the right price...

Originally Posted by YODAONE
If 18-19 year old timing belt never replaced....then do ASAP. If it breaks your engine is a doorstop.

Sent you a PM
Very good point on the timing belt. I'll assume from your post that these are interference engines?

Will follow up on your PM...
Old 09-10-18, 08:00 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

sadly you can usually tell when its a grandpa car that was owned by a grandpa that really shouldnt have been driving. yes its low miles and mechanically maintained sounds like. shame its so beat up
Old 09-10-18, 09:49 AM
PublicSnar
Driver School Candidate

Mine came with similar damage but was done by a much younger person lol. I just banged everything into place and replaced the side blinker assembly. Will be getting fender and bumper later. Focus was to get the engine and everything else done first. 205 k miles and timing belt was done at 189k. So im good there. Great find!
Old 09-17-18, 11:56 AM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you considered using it as a donor car for some higher mile one with good bodywork. Perhaps one with a shot engine or transmission. Not many of those around but they go cheap.
I am like you and do not do much body work. These cars are quite nice to mech wrench on because the quality is really good. Sometimes parts dont want to come loose but it is rare.
Old 09-17-18, 04:30 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I get kinda sick looking at it... 41k is great but I would not want one needing all the paint and body work it needs... so sorry..
Old 09-17-18, 11:37 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks like a good low mileage wrecking yard queen. Maybe some interior and running gear, the body parts pretty well trashed, and for any car the body is most important. All other things like engines transmissions can all be fixed or replaced, the body is the car.