LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cruise Control Inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 11:03 AM
Woozy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i checked all the connectors on the cruise ECU. and I guess the actuator too, although Im not sure about the actuator. It seems that there are 3 cables one coming from the P/S from under a black cover, and then 2 other cables coming out from the actuator, one going to the firewall amd the other to the throttle body, i think. But I cant really see any electrical connections, unless they are under these black covers.. I know im a dummy, but am I missing any other connectors?
Old 02-28-11, 02:25 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Woozy
Well i checked all the connectors on the cruise ECU. and I guess the actuator too, although Im not sure about the actuator. It seems that there are 3 cables one coming from the P/S from under a black cover, and then 2 other cables coming out from the actuator, one going to the firewall amd the other to the throttle body, i think. But I cant really see any electrical connections, unless they are under these black covers.. I know im a dummy, but am I missing any other connectors?
YES. You just contridicted yourself there. You say you checked the connectors on the actuator and then you ask if there is a connector. Yes you need to take off the black cover for the actuator to get to the connector which, I think, is on the bottom. (not sure where) If you're capable of using a multi-meter you should do some research on checking all the connections. Cruise control seems complicated but if you get a manual for your car it really isn't that bad to follow diagnosis directions. If the ECU was bad, you would have gotten codes 13 and 11.
Old 03-08-11, 08:40 AM
Woozy
Rookie

Default Yeah!!

Thanks to all the help from you guys my Cruise Cntrol is not working perfect. After I did everything it turned out that the actuator was bad. I got a used one, total cost 35.00, installed it and Voila' its fixed!!!

All I need to do now is find a good subwoofer and everything will be perfect... except of course the tilt.. but i gave up on that... tele works.. and the tilt position is fine.. so its not worth the effort and cost to try and fix it

Thanks again guys!!
Old 07-17-15, 02:22 PM
AuctionGuy
Driver School Candidate

I have a 96 LS400 with the cruise control out. The ABS light is also on and it won't come out of park (unless I override it with the release button). The alternator doesn't seem to be charging the vehicle as it should either. The brake lights work, however.

The voltmeter reads 12.25 volts with the vehicle off, and 11.75 with the vehicle on, so there's obviously a recharging issue. But will a new alternator fix all of the other issues? I tried reading the voltmeter while pulling the fuses to isolate circuits and detect a drain, everything looks fine.

Before I go on a wild goose chase. I was just wondering how to properly diagnose this problem. I tried jumping tc to e1 and the abs light was blinking continuously along with the open door light on the dash. (not sure if this is the correct way to diagnose a 96 LS400's cruise control though.)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if everything is related to a bad alternator, or a short is causing a disturbance in the alternator's charging capabilities. What I do know is that the cruise control, abs light, and inability to come out of park all occurred simultaneously, and that the vehicle went 105 miles before the vehicle lost power and was towed home. I also noticed that when i tried to step on the accelerator for power on the freeway, the vehicle wouldn't respond, so add loss of power to the list. lol

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-15, 04:25 PM
AuctionGuy
Driver School Candidate

just checked alternator at auto parts store, it's good. denso reman, looks fairly new, not a drop of fluid on it. I'm leaning towards maybe computer issues, either the ecm, cruise control module or both. does anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited by AuctionGuy; 07-17-15 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 10:22 AM
92sciowa
Driver School Candidate

Can someone help me out here, I have a 1992 lexus sc 300, and the only time I can get 4 gear is if the cruise control level is pulled back towards me but if I let it go it goes back to 3 rd gear. The cruise control itself never has worked so my only guess it the cruise control ecu itself is died. Should I just unplug it and see if 4 th gear stays on this is just so odd i never have heard of this before. Thanks Shaun
Old 10-24-17, 10:02 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Possibly Yamae will see this. With these aging cars is frequently electronic related. Any error codes? When was the last transmission service?
Old 10-08-21, 03:26 PM
mrmox
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you know that if you drive a 30 year old LS400 and work in Background Acting you may be
offered an extra $200 if you bring the car with you?
(My daughter told me this recently)

However on her particular car, the Cruise Control light goes on initially but does not push the pedal, then will go off.

I've tried jumpering Tc to E1 and i swear i get a continuous double flash cadence with no countable pattern.

Anyone ever see this pattern? Thanks!