LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

No start, check what first?

Old 01-05-11, 12:01 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts
Default No start, check what first?

After my heater core adventure, car was perfect. I was driving today and all of a sudden I hit the gas and it felt like the exhaust was clogged. It was a loud drone and it would barely move, put it in neutral and give it gas it would only go to about 2200 RPM and felt like a bad skip. It ran like that for a few miles back to my house at 20MPH and it died and wont start now. At one light it was smoking bad. Any ideas where I should start to look? Spark, fuel? It's always something with this car.
Old 01-05-11, 12:37 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I dont have a reason for telling you this.... but I would check fuel, if you had an injector dumping fuel it might foul out a plug. I have not done this, but I think you can disarm the injectors one at a time, to see if it improves, fuel pressure test? I dont know the readings, but someone on here does..
It's always something with this car..... not really..
Old 01-05-11, 03:11 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by billydpowe
I dont have a reason for telling you this.... but I would check fuel, if you had an injector dumping fuel it might foul out a plug. I have not done this, but I think you can disarm the injectors one at a time, to see if it improves, fuel pressure test? I dont know the readings, but someone on here does..
It's always something with this car..... not really..
Thanks Billy, I'll be checking it all out tomorrow. I'll have to get another pressure gauge, the only thing my Xwife didn't throw away was my ohm meter, the cheapest thing I had.
After the car sat for about an hour, it started for about 10 seconds, ran like crap, and died again. Sounds more and more like a fuel problem so I think that is where I will start.
Old 01-09-11, 07:21 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

I tested a couple things the past few days. (through the snow flakes) Fri. I had spark coming out of both coils, Sat. I checked fuel, connected diagnontic terminals +B and FP. I can hear fuel in return pipe and the screw pops up on the pulsation damper so their is fuel. Also, when I pulled the spark plugs they were saturated with fuel. Today I was gonna do a compresion check just for the heck of it so I took the plugs out (they all looked bad) The comp. gauge I had was broke so I decided to check for spark at the plugs instead, had none. Checked at the coils again and now nothing there either. WTF? The only thing I did different was pulled the fuse for the fuel injection.
Idk yet but has anyone had both camshaft sensors go bad at the same time? It's supposed to snow hard again Tues. I can't catch a break.