LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New ucf20 member: Hello there

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 07:40 PM
Nackers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ucf20 member: Hello there

Some of you may or may not have already seen me around.

And me and DannySC from here in our garage:

Anyway, hello to you. I just got home with my 99 LS. First impressions: This thing is totally rad!

Basically I started today with one goal in mind: Get to work.

However, my ****box s14 decided to epic fail all over me. 4:30am stuck on the highway with a dead car with -* windchills... dope. After an hour of sitting on hold freezing my *** off with AAA, I got the towed.

So now I'm thinking, what do I do? Do I get the car to a shop and get it mended for the time being and wait to miss work again or... say forget it, and just buy something reliable. Obviously, solving most problems in the traditional American way, I tried to buy my way out.

Don't really know if its going to work out or not, but I am really happy right now. I've always owned Nissans: S-chassis and the Z: but driving Danny's SC before the driftings... it was amazing. Though I wanted a car that I could get sideways if I wanted, but be kind of a pain to do so I wouldn't really feel the urge and just cruise.

Don't know how thats going to work out either, but for now, I'm very impressed with the excellent ride quality and how quiet this car is.

Little details about the car:

99 w/ 148k
Got it out the door for $7800
Body is 8-10 (though I'm not good at rating bodywork since all I ever do is destroy it)
Interior is 9-10 with the only problem is the steering wheel tilt and telescoping feature doesn't work... however besides for being very dated, the factory navigation works quite well. Touch screen in 99? Again... very impressed not only cause it was 99, but it works so well. Works and feels like using a modern touch screen phone.

I don't really have any plans for the car. I really hope I can keep my head and just leave it alone, but... wheels and a drop will probably come around at some point. Worst case, sell the Z, strip the LS down, slap a R154 in it, get some nice suspension, power, and a cage then drift the **** out of it... but I hope that doesn't happen any time soon. I'd almost feel bad about it.

Almost.
Old 12-14-10, 08:42 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Hey, welcome to the board!!! Quite a collection you have there. Definitely more pics please. I think we have a solution to the steering wheel tilt and telescoping feature doesn't work on here somewhere. A quick search and you should be good to go
Old 12-15-10, 01:41 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Welcome. Glad you enjoy the LS ride, they're easy to enjoy.

I'd be more than amused to see it sideways if you do get the urge
Old 12-16-10, 12:25 AM
gmacrae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're gonna turn an LS into a driftpig, please pick up a rough one, slam this one on some 20's and use it to tow the others
Old 12-16-10, 08:36 AM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to the family

Ya know, as soon as you posted that you bought this on Facebook, I was going to make the suggestion you join up over here too ha.

I'll go ahead and suggest that if you're looking at getting more performance out of your car, check out http://www.lextreme.com if you haven't already.

Haven't seen too many LS models drift, but I do recall this one:

And if you're looking at doing a 5-speed swap, check this out (though he used the W58 and you mentioned the R154)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-5spd-m-t.html
Old 12-17-10, 10:06 AM
Nackers
Driver School Candidate

Yo thanks man.

I wasn't sure if the W58 would be a good choice cause I know they are prone to failing around 350hp and the LS is already close to 300. But I don't plan on giving it any more power. Maybe something in the diff department though. I'm gonna do some research about what diff comes factory cause mine seems like either a really crappy vlsd or just straight open and that blows.
Old 12-17-10, 02:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

all LS400s were shipped with open diffs.
Old 12-18-10, 08:22 AM
Nackers
Driver School Candidate

Thats really surprising to me. Big luxury car with near 300hp and a open diff... Lame

I would figure with the VSC and traction control that Lexus would put a VLSD in and just use the computers to keep it from getting out of control.

But from the searching I've done I see this is a common question, but doesn't seem anyone follows through with it. And I see your name in all the threads.

I found it very difficult to decipher whats going on. Every thread I see "its been asked before, search" so I move to the next. It's hard to get a definitive answer, but I've gathered that a MK3 diff housing will bolt into the car but I just have to use the LS rear cover. That sound right or am I totally off track?
Old 12-18-10, 09:41 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

mk4 diff housing, not 3.

mk4 internals also swap in.out.
Old 12-18-10, 09:45 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forum dude!
Old 12-19-10, 07:17 AM
djMaru
Lead Lap

nice man clean LS!
Old 12-23-10, 09:05 PM
Nackers
Driver School Candidate

Word... its not bad.

Though already I'm looking at wheels and coilovers for it. I've generally found megan products to be crap (on my Z) but the price is right on the coilovers so maybe I might think about getting a set.

And some cheap decent wheels. I saw a LS somewhere that was pretty low with SC430 wheels and to me, it looked goofy enough to work really well with some big spacers. Otherwise my buddy showed me some 300C SRT8 wheels in full polish... that could work too. 20x9 but no idea what offset. To google!
Old 12-24-10, 03:12 AM
gmacrae
Driver

the 300c wheels are 5x115 dude, need adapter/spacers, but would work i guess... if you're looking for some cheap oem rims, 350z 18s maybe?
Old 12-24-10, 04:46 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll find pretty much everyone that has or had Megans for these cars loves them, me included.
I think you can find nicer summer wheels than the 300C wheels. I don't think the 0.7 difference in bolt pattern will cause any problems as long as you use hubcentric rings.
Old 12-24-10, 10:17 AM
Nackers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Schnitz
You'll find pretty much everyone that has or had Megans for these cars loves them, me included.
I think you can find nicer summer wheels the 300C wheels. I don't think the 0.7 difference in bolt pattern will cause any problems as long as you use hubcentric rings.
Nah, shouldn't be a problem. Even if it was, nothing my buddy couldn't fix with his cnc machine.

IDK about finding nicer wheels. I don't really want to put much money into this thing cause its just a DD for me. The Z is my main priority so really until that thing is done and ready for the season, nothing is going to happen to the LS.

I think those would look pretty cool. 20x9 all round. Just can't find an offset

Quick Reply: New ucf20 member: Hello there