LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

RE: 1992 LS400 wont shift into gears maybe.???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 08:10 AM
BigJohnLs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1992 LS400 wont shift into gears maybe.???

Greetings from SoCal I'm new to this forum & a lot of help so far thanks guys... but now I have a question that mostly already has been answered multiple times already & have this build thread been originally posted my user member C4R3B34R I myself have similar problems but my transmission won't leave 1st gear won't shift at all had a this problem 2yrs ago but was solve my replacing the transmission fluid... my question to you guys is the following since I took my car to get service at a mom & POP shop I strongly doubt they used Toyota T4 fluid & now that I have the same issue again can I replace yet again the transmission fluid but this time with Toyota T4 fluid will this save my transmission or should I buy a rebuild transmission?

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Make sure the car is running Toyota T4 fluid only. If you or the previous owner had the fluid changed or added non-T4 fluid to top it off, this could cause a problem. Check the transmission fluid and make sure its full by following the instructions in the owners manual (car needs to be running). If that all checks out, take a look at this tutorial about the wiring harness in the trunk that can cause peculiar problems...

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html

Does anyone have the proper step by step procedure to the link above as in pictures.? I would like to see if anyone has done this & can show me with pictures a step by step procedures thanks
Old 12-12-10, 10:26 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You should drain and replace with the proper fluid. If this does not resolve the shifting issues there is a high probability there was damage.

Toyota has spec'd their fluid now for many-many years and especially so with Lexus vehicles. Mom-pop shops that provide service are doing an injustice to owners by not adhering to these service procedures. They are obviously not aware/trained to properly service these cars. I am not current on other Toyota cars though I suspect they have similar fluid needs that also date a ways back. They may be ASE qualified but that doesn't mean Toyota qualified.
Old 12-12-10, 01:10 PM
BigJohnLs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
You should drain and replace with the proper fluid. If this does not resolve the shifting issues there is a high probability there was damage.

Toyota has spec'd their fluid now for many-many years and especially so with Lexus vehicles. Mom-pop shops that provide service are doing an injustice to owners by not adhering to these service procedures. They are obviously not aware/trained to properly service these cars. I am not current on other Toyota cars though I suspect they have similar fluid needs that also date a ways back. They may be ASE qualified but that doesn't mean Toyota qualified.
Thanks for the tip.!! I also forgot to mention.. when I replaced the transmission fluid 2yrs ago I also added a bottle of LUCAS to help my transmissions shifting apparently it worked till recently when it gave out yet again.... So since my transmission had a lil mixture of Lucas & I'll call it unknown transmission oil from mom & pop shop... will this miracle Toyota T4 fluid still work.? Im not to concern if it don't work simply bcuz I recently purchased a engine & transmission to replace the one I already have... but before starting to remove original engine & Transmission since I have nothing to loose since i already have the replacement engine & transmission I want to see if purchasing Toyota T4 fluid will solve my issue b4 staring to take my original motor out save aome time & money

Will Toyota T4 fluid still work although who known what type of fluid is in the transmission?

How much is Toyota T4 fluid.?

Where can I find it.?

How much will I need.?

Thanks.!! Sorry for the multiple questions....
Old 12-12-10, 02:09 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Change the trans filter, hugeJohnLS

If it's been changed,
change it again!!!
Old 12-12-10, 09:17 PM
C4R3B34R
Driver School Candidate

I just did a tranny flush with t4 replace the filter, and it still won't shift!! I have no engine lights on, I don't know what to do :-(
Old 12-12-10, 10:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Type IV fluid is a dealer item, should be about $6/quart from the Toyota dealer. The Lexus dealer will charge more. You'll need about 12 total but even with a partial drain you'll get some indication. If dropping the pan, check the screen that can be attributable to issues if clogged from burnt fluid particles.

GL...hope it works but don't be surprised if it doesn't.
Old 12-12-10, 11:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

dead torque converter possibly........or internal trans damage.
Old 12-13-10, 07:54 AM
BigJohnLs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by C4R3B34R
I just did a tranny flush with t4 replace the filter, and it still won't shift!! I have no engine lights on, I don't know what to do :-(
I picked up a complete engine & transmission that was pulled out from a salvage 1991 Lexus LS400 that was hit from the rear passenger quarter panel engine has 70,XXX original miles have the vin number to prove it.. I picked up engine & transmission for $450... Did some research before purchasing of course several places around my area charged $750 for a rebuilt transmission & that's not including labor other places charged $400 for a transmission NoT rebuilt yet 3 month warrenty & another $500 for an engine that's Not rebuilt... So after coming to a conclusion & getting different quotes from shops I took the shot on purchasing this engine & transmission that came off the salvage 1991 Ls400 with 70,XXX miles for $450... Can anyone tell me if I did good in doing so or was it not a good deal.??? Also before purchasing I knew i had a small issue because my Lexus is a 1992 Ls400 as I did some more research I came to find that the only thing that changes between the engine & transmission from a 1991 to a 1992 is a transmission filter other than that engine & transmission are pretty much the same.. So you guys that that have more experience on these cars... Is my research right about the difference between the 1991 drive train & the 1992 drive train.?? Or was I missing anything.??
Old 12-13-10, 08:19 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I'd say you did good with that purchase for that price. The only thing I would suggest is to change the timing belt and water pump while you have the engine out. It's so much easier on a stand then in the car. Someone else with more experience with these engines will have to chime in on the compatability of the two.
Old 12-13-10, 09:29 AM
BigJohnLs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
I'd say you did good with that purchase for that price. The only thing I would suggest is to change the timing belt and water pump while you have the engine out. It's so much easier on a stand then in the car. Someone else with more experience with these engines will have to chime in on the compatability of the two.
Indeed.. I changed the water pump timing belt on my car & it was a bit difficult but not extremly hard but its all a timing game... & my original engine that's on my car has 260,XXX original miles... but believe it or not till running strong but I think my best option is retiring the engine & transmission with the replacement i purchased... I shouldn't have any difficult time right everything should fall in place correctly since the replacement came from a 91
Old 12-15-10, 01:53 PM
BigJohnLs
Driver School Candidate

Default Swapping out engine & transmission

Any advice or opinions towards either swapping out engine & transmission or just replacing transmission.? Never done a big job like this I'm trying to see if you guys had any tips, concerns, advice, opinions, Probably Help if anyone is interested in making a buck helping me out on a swap.??
Old 12-15-10, 02:47 PM
MicahBerry
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I could offer advice, but I believe you got a good deal on the engine / transmission!

Micah