LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

need advice on getting 1st LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-02, 08:14 PM
Gladee8er
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on getting 1st LS 400

I am an auto salesman that sells new Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, and Olds, and anything used I can get my hand on! I have just recently discovered Lexus, and decided to buy one for my next car. I can comfortably handle spending up to 20,000 total, including the best extended warranty I can get get(depending on the year and mileage).

I wonder if I should save a little more money and get a low-mileage 97, or get a bargain older model. I would like to hear opinions from all you Lexus enthuseists on which year would be a good choice.

I commute from work to home (notice I mentioned work first) an average of 300 miles per week(about 15,000 per year. I live in Maine, so traction control is a must! Anyone who has owned one in a snow climate, please send me your feedback on the performance of the traction control on snow covered roads.

I want a luxury ride that is dependable, and low enough miles so I can get an extended warranty for at least 3 or 4 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Old 08-03-02, 11:05 PM
velandia
Driver School Candidate

Can't comment on traction control but here's my 2 cents:

I think the trick to finding a good used car is finding one with an owner who has taken good care of it. Once you do this, it is very much a personal choice (financial situation, intended use of car, how long you intend to keep it, etc.) whether or not you're willing to pay in the neighborhood of the asking price.

I think you could go with an older model for under 20k that will provide reliable transportation for 5+ years (w/ or w/o extd warantee), and hopefully you have some connections (being in the car business) that might make your dollar go further.

The trouble is: it's hard to find someone who's taken care of a car, and is willing to sell it.

Good luck with your search.

-Mo
Old 08-13-02, 07:26 PM
Gladee8er
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for info Mo

Moe,

You are exactly right! Previous owners that took care of the car should be top priority, especially when you are buying a car with some miles on it. Of course Lexus has the standard in reliability, but I still don't want to buy the car that has been beat on bad.

I tend to think most ORIGINAL Lexus owners are careful with the cars, but the kids, friends, secondary owners, etc. can be different.

Giving it some careful thought, I would probably buy from an older couple that owned a 97 or 98 from brand new. Being from Maine is a challenge in itself. There arn't many Lexus's up here to begin with. My nearest city (Bangor, ME)doesn't even have a Lexus dealership. Only Portland, ME has one. Then you worry about service issues if or when they arrive.

I'm starting to see that there are better deals on the net. Definately more chance to see any exotic ride you want. I think I will most likely buy from the net, but hopefully the smart way!

Thanks again,

Gladee8er
Old 08-13-02, 08:14 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default LS400

I would look for one that was company owned or leased, better probability of proper maintenance. The early Trac system wasn't very good, it applied both rear brakes simultaneously even if only one slipped, it was also far to quick at dethrottling, sometimes leaving you stranded after having accelerated over those plastic crosswalk stripes.

My 00 GS300 Trac was a lot more useful, it used differential braking to truly simulate a mechanical LSD and it took a few hundred milliseconds or more before it would begin the dethrottling process, giving the driver a decent chance to react and modulate the throttle.

The 98 and later LS came with HID as an option, a VERY desireable option IMMHO, but $20k isn't likely to get you one of those.
Old 08-13-02, 10:15 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need advice on getting 1st LS 400

Originally posted by Gladee8er
I am an auto salesman that sells new Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, and Olds, and anything used I can get my hand on! I have just recently discovered Lexus, and decided to buy one for my next car. I can comfortably handle spending up to 20,000 total, including the best extended warranty I can get get(depending on the year and mileage).

I wonder if I should save a little more money and get a low-mileage 97, or get a bargain older model. I would like to hear opinions from all you Lexus enthuseists on which year would be a good choice.

I commute from work to home (notice I mentioned work first) an average of 300 miles per week(about 15,000 per year. I live in Maine, so traction control is a must! Anyone who has owned one in a snow climate, please send me your feedback on the performance of the traction control on snow covered roads.

I want a luxury ride that is dependable, and low enough miles so I can get an extended warranty for at least 3 or 4 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Mark, I think it would be wise to just save a few more and possibly invest in a 3rd generation LS400 (98 - 99). Most of the 3rd generations will probably have quite low miles and they are robust and will last.

I can't comment either on the traction control since I live in California and we really do not have a need for it.

But if you are limited to 20,000, then the 97 would be a good option. I do not have experience with the 2nd generation LS400's, but maybe you can try PM (private messaging) a member here who has owned a 2nd generation LS400, jbrady. He probably has the most extent knowledge of his LS since he knows the technical aspects of it through detail.

If there are other 2nd gen. LS owners that are on this board, you can try contacting them too for information.

Good luck on the purchase.
Old 08-14-02, 01:39 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

LS400... thanks for the props

Gladee8er, I just traded my 96 LS400 in on a 99 LS400. I really liked the 96 but the 99 is WAY better. More power, nicer detail, better features.

The biggest problem I see is you want an extended warranty. Now, I do not know about the aftermarket but the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program only goes back to 97 model year (5 years old or less) and I doubt you will find one a CPO LS400 under $20k.

As far as the year models go I would definitely go 95 or newer. The 90-94 (1st generation) is a nice car but the 2nd gens (95-97) are much improved.

Here is some good detail on the improvements and features of the 97 LS400 http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/ls_97.html

Now, if you can swing about $30k you can pick up a 3rd Gen (98-00) and have even MORE good stuff... check out these pages on the 98, 99, 00 respectively.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/ls_98.html
http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/ls_99.html
http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/ls_00.html

Interestingly, I just read the 99 is the quickest of the 3rd gens with a 6.3 0-60mph and a 14.8 quarter mile!
Old 08-14-02, 07:25 PM
Blue
Driver School Candidate

Default Buying 1st LS400

I just picked up a sweet 95 LS with 38,500 miles from local dealership. They sold it originally to someone that maintained it beautifully, and only drove about 5 or 6 thousand miles annually.
$21,000. I couldn't resist. Sold a good Mark8 (Lincoln) for a lot less than you would think it was worth. Ton's of Horsepower, traction control, all the bells and whistles, just not much resale value. Old Lincolns are cheap to buy and anybody can find a place for repairs. Not Lexus dependable, but maybe a little more robust performance. I'm still getting used to the silky way my new toy rides. No traction control on it, so, I can't speak to that issue. I suggest you look on E-bay, but I suspect Texas, Florida, and California have the best used market for these. The factory warranty on mine was expired , timewise, before it even had 50 thousand miles.
Old 08-15-02, 03:23 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Default 1st gen LS400

Here is my story. I have 3 cars already and i need another car just for my newborn. I did not want to spend too much money on my fourth car. I got a 1990 LS400 with 120k miles on it. I paid $8,000. Since i got the car, i also changed few parts ie, powersteering pump, radiator, sparkplugs, sparkwires, thermostat, Rack and Pinion, Timing belt, brake rotor and pads. Total about $2,000 worth of upgrades.

Now the car runs perfect even at 140k miles. I know my car will run at least 10 more years before it gives me problem. If it does give me problems, i can always get a new engine for less than $1,000.

In my situation, 1st generation work best for me. TSecondly, i love the 1990 because its the first of production. I like the historical background. This is my advice, get a 93 and up without air suspension.

Good luck and enjoy. Either year is good. LS runs for at least 400k miles.

david
Old 08-15-02, 04:09 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the 96 and was happy with it. If you're getting a second gen, just get the 95. You'll save a few bucks but it should have the same spirit as the 96 and 97.

If you have a lead foot, get the 98+.

If you're into total comfort, the 90+ will give it to you as well.

Downside of the 2nd gen is the brake is too big up front that you have limited selection of rims to fit, if you're planning to upgrade. Obviously, the positive side is better braking performance.

As a salesman, don't you have access to auctions? You should be able to get the best deal from there.

Last edited by whitels; 08-15-02 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-15-02, 04:42 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just so you know the 97 has side airbags where as 95 & 96 DO NOT along with some minor other details. Not too many people know that unless you drive a 97.

You live in Maine so make sure YOU DO GET
TRACTION CONTROL AND
HEATED SEATS LIKE I HAVE.

WITHOUT TRACTION CONTROL YOUR NOT GOING ANYWHERE IN THE SNOW! TRUST ME!!!!!!

Should be easy to find in the Northeast with those options cause of the climate.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 08-15-02 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-15-02, 06:20 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default Re: 1st gen LS400

Originally posted by healerhand
Here is my story. I have 3 cars already and i need another car just for my newborn. I did not want to spend too much money on my fourth car. I got a 1990 LS400 with 120k miles on it. I paid $8,000. Since i got the car, i also changed few parts ie, powersteering pump, radiator, sparkplugs, sparkwires, thermostat, Rack and Pinion, Timing belt, brake rotor and pads. Total about $2,000 worth of upgrades.

Now the car runs perfect even at 140k miles. I know my car will run at least 10 more years before it gives me problem. If it does give me problems, i can always get a new engine for less than $1,000.

In my situation, 1st generation work best for me. TSecondly, i love the 1990 because its the first of production. I like the historical background. This is my advice, get a 93 and up without air suspension.

Good luck and enjoy. Either year is good. LS runs for at least 400k miles.

david
Right on, David! My 91 LS400 has over 203,000 miles, is driven daily, and still will go a lot faster than I can tolerate. The engine and transmission are silky smooth and I get compliments on it all the time.

GA400