LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

EGR Delete kit, Cost beneficial?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 05:57 AM
Max Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Delete kit, Cost beneficial?

Hey guys, so my egr pipe is cracked. Now, since I don't have a hoist, I'd likely take it to a shop. The cost would be all labor since they would just weld it back up and stick it back in. We all know how much the labor costs.

If I were to get an EGR delete kit for 99$ (yes I know I could make one for a couple bucks), wouldn't the labor be about the same seeing you have to block off both ends of the EGR Pipe?
Old 12-02-10, 06:46 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

yes it should be about the same, but deleting the egr raises the exhaust gas temps and decreases fuel mileage. there is no performance benefit as the egr is closed at wot anyhow if its working. it isnt that hard to get the egr pipe off. if it were me, id remove it and take it to an exhaust shop to have it welded up cheap. look at it VERY closely though. mine was cracked in 2 places, and so was the one i grabbed from the junkyard. to remove it, there are 2 nuts holding it to the passenger side exhaust manifold. a bolt on the back of the passenger side head, iirc its a 12mm. and then 2 bolts on the back of the intake manifold. on a lift the ones on the manifold and the back of the head should be kinda easy to get to. the others can be gotten from the top no problem.
Old 12-02-10, 07:01 AM
Max Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by williamb82
yes it should be about the same, but deleting the egr raises the exhaust gas temps and decreases fuel mileage. there is no performance benefit as the egr is closed at wot anyhow if its working. it isnt that hard to get the egr pipe off. if it were me, id remove it and take it to an exhaust shop to have it welded up cheap. look at it VERY closely though. mine was cracked in 2 places, and so was the one i grabbed from the junkyard. to remove it, there are 2 nuts holding it to the passenger side exhaust manifold. a bolt on the back of the passenger side head, iirc its a 12mm. and then 2 bolts on the back of the intake manifold. on a lift the ones on the manifold and the back of the head should be kinda easy to get to. the others can be gotten from the top no problem.
Thanks for the info.

It's so weird to get so much conflicting information regarding the removal of this pipe. Some people say it's 10 hours labor, some say it's less, some say you can just reach your hand in, some say you need to do some major work.

I'm not trying to say you are giving false information, but, I am just skeptic that it will be that easy.
Old 12-02-10, 07:09 AM
williamb82
Advanced

if you have ever worked on a car before it is that easy. i just had my engine out 2 months ago and back in a month ago. if you were local i could take it off, weld it up, and reinstall it in about 1hr after it has cooled down. id unbolt the bolts in this order, the top 2. then on the lift, unbolt the bottom 2, and then reach up to get the last one on the head. the only "hard" one to get to is the one on the back of the head, and on a lift it should be easy to get to as youll be standing and better able to reach your arm in there.

just a helpful tip. mechanics make the majority of their money on labor charges and will ALWAYS overestimate the labor charge. even dealers that "charge what the book says". that "book" is a serious over estimate. my friends dad is a master tech for ford. almost every job that is rated for 8hrs labor, he can do in less then 1hr
Old 12-02-10, 09:57 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The EGR system is primarily part of the emissions control system and true it also cools the intake gases but it does not unduly affect gas consumption and removal has no detrimental affect on the engine in general.
The only times the EGR removal may cause problems is with turbocharged engines where the system has a cooling effect on the turbo.
In fact the JDM LS400 ( Celsior) has no EGR system fitted as it is not required in Japan and they run just as well with non of the associated problems when the pipe cracks!
Old 12-02-10, 10:40 AM
williamb82
Advanced

it has been proven that the egt's are lower and the gas mileage is increased when the egr is installed. had a huge discussion on this on supramania. the exhaust being recirculated under cruise takes up volume in the cylinders that therefore doesnt have to be filled with fresh charge air, thus lowering the amount of fresh charge air metered by the maf and thus allowing the ecu to inject less fuel. btw, i never said it would run bad without the egr.