LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 "CHECK VSC"---40k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 10:06 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

dont know about Poland, but part stores in USA will give you a 12 month free replacement on a battery purchase.. SO if Poland does also, go get anew battery and set it in the trunk for when your battery dies..if it makes it a year, go and get a refund. and dont listen to anything I say anymore... Jim & PD are right..
Old 02-12-16, 06:45 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

The battery issue is the most common cause of the problem but we need to know that there are following sensors that are related to the VSC. When a sensor is failed, the error code is mostly stored and you can find it out using a code reader.

Steering angle sensor
G sensor
Yaw rate sensor
ABS sensors
Speed sensor

Of course the ABS&TC&VSC ECU is also the another factor.
Old 02-14-16, 11:06 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
my original lexus battery from 1999 lasted me until ~2007/2008

on my good old optima redtop ever since
I have a Optima Redtop on my 99LS, it is 5,5 years old, but I am replacing it now, since I have intermittent VSC light problem. It would start in the morning, but a VSC light would come on, I have to shut it off and start again so the light goes away - I need VSC in winter ice and snow.
Old 02-15-16, 01:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Redtop died a few years ago, been on the costco batteries (made by Interstate or Diehard I forget) ever since as the redtops didn't have a discernible life advantage for the price.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (07-07-21)
Old 02-23-16, 04:34 PM
Yoshi323
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
dont know about Poland, but part stores in USA will give you a 12 month free replacement on a battery purchase.. SO if Poland does also, go get anew battery and set it in the trunk for when your battery dies..if it makes it a year, go and get a refund. and dont listen to anything I say anymore... Jim & PD are right..
Thank you. But-as I said- my car starts at -20 C (-4 F) without any problems, so can it really be the battery that causes the problem?
In Poland it's not so easy, you have to give back your old battery to get a new one, or pay an extra cash for the recycling. So I'd prefer to be sure before changing it.

Originally Posted by Yamae
The battery issue is the most common cause of the problem but we need to know that there are following sensors that are related to the VSC. When a sensor is failed, the error code is mostly stored and you can find it out using a code reader.

Steering angle sensor
G sensor
Yaw rate sensor
ABS sensors
Speed sensor

Of course the ABS&TC&VSC ECU is also the another factor.

Thank you!
Is it possible, that a sensor failure stops the engine? Mine stopped automatically 2 times and I think it has something to do with the VSC control light that appears before starting the engine.

Steering angle sensor? Where is it located? Maybe in the steering rack? Mine is leaking , I will regenerate it soon.

Code reader shows : no failure
ABS and VSC work normally.

Last edited by Yoshi323; 02-23-16 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 05:36 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Yoshi323
Steering angle sensor? Where is it located? Maybe in the steering rack?
Attached is for a JDM but yours may be the same.

Even though the battery is still powerful enough to start the engine when very cold, there may be a possibility that the voltage regulation in the ABS&TC&VSC computer is not good. It is organized by a regulator chip, capacitors and resistors. I'd check those first. But this needs some good skill to analyse circuits and good equipments. The most simple way may be to swap the unit.
Attached Thumbnails 98 LS400 "CHECK VSC"---40k Miles-steering-sensor-location.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (07-07-21)
Old 03-30-16, 06:22 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

the check VSC light comes on automatically when the CEL pops up. When my alternator was bad on my LS400 i always had the check VSC light on. Maybe because the voltages are all messed up.

I say check your battery and/or alternator
Old 01-27-18, 04:58 AM
Teamviper
Driver School Candidate

Default VSC off light on, no power

My vsc off light has come on and my power is gone. I have to stomp the gas pedal all the way to the floor to get the car to move.
Old 09-06-18, 08:01 AM
PublicSnar
Driver School Candidate

I think it may be my battery. Checked the label, says 585 cca....would think a car like this would need more. It's also new. Could that be it? Power steering pump isn't leaking and alternator tested fine.

Last edited by PublicSnar; 09-06-18 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 11:00 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by PublicSnar
I think it may be my battery. Checked the label, says 585 cca....would think a car like this would need more. It's also new. Could that be it? Power steering pump isn't leaking and alternator tested fine.
Does the starter motor work fine with the current battery, PublicSnar?

I have experienced a 99 Celsior turned on the Check VSC light although the battery was rather new and there was no problem starting the engine what so ever. But changing the battery fixed the problem and the young mechanic judged that the battery was the cause of the problem.

The replaced battery was sitting at the shop and I asked the owner to let me use that battery for my 98 Celsior. He said OK and I installed it replacing my 8 years old Panasonic battery. Guess what happened. The starter ran faster than before and there was no Check VSC light. So far, I have tried more than 100 times to start the engine. The battery used on a 99 Celsior has been working fine on my car ever since. The problem does not duplicate at all on my car.

What does the fact mean? I'm guessing that the voltage regulator circuit in the ABS/VSC/TRC computer must have some problem on that 99 Celsior. It's not my car and the owner is happy with the new battery and currently I have no chance to analyse the computer. What I'd like to test is the voltage regulations in the ABS/VSC/TRC computer. This in only my assumption but what I worry about is that the electrolytic capacitors are loosing the capacitance and increased the ESR.

Regarding my original 8 years old battery, it caused the Check VSC light on several months ago and I used a home made desulfator explained here. After the desulfation, it has been working OK.

Last edited by Yamae; 09-07-18 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-08-18, 12:04 AM
PublicSnar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Does the starter motor work fine with the current battery, PublicSnar?

I have experienced a 99 Celsior turned on the Check VSC light although the battery was rather new and there was no problem starting the engine what so ever. But changing the battery fixed the problem and the young mechanic judged that the battery was the cause of the problem.

The replaced battery was sitting at the shop and I asked the owner to let me use that battery for my 98 Celsior. He said OK and I installed it replacing my 8 years old Panasonic battery. Guess what happened. The starter ran faster than before and there was no Check VSC light. So far, I have tried more than 100 times to start the engine. The battery used on a 99 Celsior has been working fine on my car ever since. The problem does not duplicate at all on my car.

What does the fact mean? I'm guessing that the voltage regulator circuit in the ABS/VSC/TRC computer must have some problem on that 99 Celsior. It's not my car and the owner is happy with the new battery and currently I have no chance to analyse the computer. What I'd like to test is the voltage regulations in the ABS/VSC/TRC computer. This in only my assumption but what I worry about is that the electrolytic capacitors are loosing the capacitance and increased the ESR.

Regarding my original 8 years old battery, it caused the Check VSC light on several months ago and I used a home made desulfator explained here. After the desulfation, it has been working OK.

It sounds strong.
Old 09-08-18, 02:44 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by PublicSnar
It sounds strong.
Then your battery seems to be OK enough to start the engine but the problem exists.

What I have experienced simply means that the 99 Celsior was not OK with the battery (about 3 years old) but my 98 Celsior was completely OK with it. There was a huge difference. I didn't know this was only related to the ABS/VSC/TRC computer or not but something made the difference. It would tell the difference to check the power circuits using an oscilloscope to observe the voltage stability while cranking. Are you familiar to do this type of job?

The main ECU has QAS capacitors inside and those are failing. As far as I know, the ABS/VSC/TRC computer does not have them and there wouldn't be any leak but 2 decades are long enough to loose the capacitance some and we need to check them observing the voltage stability or simply the capacitance. I should had checked the 99.
Old 10-07-18, 09:38 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

So...my check vsc light is just vsc off no abs now. Weird.
Old 09-28-19, 01:59 PM
Memmawhite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bomre340
Changed battery and VSC "off" warning light was on. I re-set light by:
1. Enter car & Close doors
2. Shift in neutral
3. Apply parking brake
4. Turn key to on and start
5. Press VSC button on dash
FIXED!
Thanks for this simple solution. I took my car in to the Lexus dealer for service and it came back with a VSC OFF problem. I asked the service advisor and he could not give a clear answer. He assumed that it was related to the check engine light which is a problem with the catalytic converter, He said that would cost more than $3,400 to fix. Didn’t seem cost effective, so I declined. I searched the problem and used this fix. Worked like a charm. I have a rack and pinion issue that needs to get fixed but that costs $2,400 to fix. I love my LS 400 and have owned it since 1998. Hate to give it up, but the projected cost to restore it to mint condition goes against logic and prudence. Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-19, 04:07 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Memmawhite
Thanks for this simple solution. I took my car in to the Lexus dealer for service and it came back with a VSC OFF problem. I asked the service advisor and he could not give a clear answer. He assumed that it was related to the check engine light which is a problem with the catalytic converter, He said that would cost more than $3,400 to fix. Didn’t seem cost effective, so I declined. I searched the problem and used this fix. Worked like a charm. I have a rack and pinion issue that needs to get fixed but that costs $2,400 to fix. I love my LS 400 and have owned it since 1998. Hate to give it up, but the projected cost to restore it to mint condition goes against logic and prudence. Any thoughts?
And you know they would have happily taken your money. My god you can't trust anyone. Do not take your car back there is my thoughts.

Also welcome to the club.

Quick Reply: 98 LS400 "CHECK VSC"---40k Miles