LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Timing belt info

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 11:44 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt info

Alright, dug into my engine swap

car 1990

motor 1996 1uzfe from a Celsior

I searched and their seems to be a discrepancy on the timing belt .

Gates has same listing from 1990 to 97

Dealer has different part #s from 1990 to 1996

I took both the 90 and 96 and they have the same tooth count

Also i realize there are dealer revisions and updated parts , What are the differences.

I'm still in question about the interference thing as I have researched it an the only difference i see would be the difference in compression, are the doing it with piston size or rod length?

I don't really see many pictures or rebuilds going on with the LS guys and im hoping this may help a few folks, because when you search everything seem a little vague.

Here are some pictures of the mayham , allot of parts are being shuffled .

Old glory here just chocked on the 275.000, mile mark. I have ran this motor for its last 150.000 in 10 years and i really cant complain on how good its been. Rod knock FTL

JDM motor with 75k on it broke down getting ready for some love.

nicer looking header than my 1990

Old 06-02-10, 05:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

search again.

the head was redesigned for '95, the higher compression coming from a change in piston and rod design, and (iirc) different cams, providing slightly more lift.

it's been discussed to death and back. the definitive answer is that 95-97 model year LS400s ARE INTERFERENCE ENGINES.
Old 06-02-10, 06:20 PM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
search again.

the head was redesigned for '95, the higher compression coming from a change in piston and rod design, and (iirc) different cams, providing slightly more lift.

it's been discussed to death and back. the definitive answer is that 95-97 model year LS400s ARE INTERFERENCE ENGINES.
Listen up partner , every time i search i find you telling someone to search. If you have all this knowledge that i dont would you share some with some one who does not have it ,isn't that the point?

This is not a dyer need ill figure it out on my own i was just hoping to spread some knowledge and possibly get some additional knowledge.

Just so this isnt a total waste ill make sure some popular content is involved "check out my stance"

Old 06-03-10, 02:18 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
Listen up partner , every time i search i find you telling someone to search. If you have all this knowledge that i dont would you share some with some one who does not have it ,isn't that the point?

This is not a dyer need ill figure it out on my own i was just hoping to spread some knowledge and possibly get some additional knowledge.

Just so this isnt a total waste ill make sure some popular content is involved "check out my stance"
The reason i tell you to search is because the answer is THERE, not because i get bored and have nothing better to do

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-engines.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...erference.html (possible reasoning lexus made them interference)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...r-a-97-ls.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-engines.html

all of these were found within the first two pages of search results, with the phrase used being "interference." Also note that a 95 SC400 1uz is NOT the same as a 95 LS400 1uz, as Lexus did not move the SC400 to the newer motor design with raised compression until 1996.
Old 06-03-10, 07:18 AM
bmoore
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
The reason i tell you to search is because the answer is THERE, not because i get bored and have nothing better to do
You're wasting your time. This is the same guy, asking the same questions, from my thread trying to help people out with the '95-97 timing belt change. He's received the same answer at least 6 times, yet continues to ask.
Old 06-03-10, 07:35 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Man oh man you guys are hostile, Thank you Pure Drifter for coming around and helping with those links, my search yielded different. I have no problem owning up to defeat , **** i even bought the wrong motor an interference one. LOL

As for bmoore you should lighten up and b moore helpfull also. thanks guys.

Last question should i post more pictures of my build or have you seen enough?

Last edited by ROPADOPA; 06-03-10 at 07:48 AM.