LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

trying to narrow down problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 10:34 AM
sportsluvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to narrow down problem

ive done alot of searching on this most of yesterday to be exact and heres my problem. im trying to troubleshoot and narrow down whats making my LS act weird case very bad mpg and gutless but other than that fine gets to highway speed not as quick as should but does it. tested the ignition coils and both got a reading of .9 on primary resistance which is above spec but i figured my multimeter isnt dead on exact but then i test the secondary resistance on both and i get no reading whatsoever on ohms so im scratching my head so i went to check other things out for ohm Resistance to make sure the meter was working. and the maf sensor was good..ok so meters working and im at a loss so i figure ill think about that and move onto something else. lets check spark plug wires there the original with the plug numbers saying 1993 on them and number saying which one they are so i check for ohm resistance and all of them show nothing ...and i don't understand that cause i know the lower the reading the better it works but since my only issue is very bad mpg and a gutless car other people with bad coils and wires couldn't get over 25 or was sputtering and that's certainly not my issue. it drives on highway and everything else fine it just doesn't have that floor it snap your head back it had before. I've already changed plugs 6 months ago....if i had the money to throw at it id replace everything coils wires this and that but i don't and roughly only have enough saved to fix one and that was my hope of troubleshooting is since for the most part car runs fine i was hoping just one things was giving me these problems.
any help would be appreciated this is annoying me
Old 04-04-10, 03:21 PM
sportsluvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Hey dude,
there are a couple places you can look, and a couple things you can do.
First of all, change your spark plug wires, and buy new OEM ones. 17 year old wires, especially ones that long, won't hack it.
Secondly, get a compression test done to make sure all cylinders are up to spec,
thirdly, you can check your engine coolant temperature sensor, at that age, again, it could be suffering, and that will make your car suffer.
But first things first, get those plug wires changed out.

sorry about that i forgot to mention i had changed out the coolant temp sensor back when i changed the plugs. ok will get those wires changed out and update on how its goes. thanks