LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS Cigarette Lighter Fix (Tutorial)

Old 04-12-11, 05:52 AM
winner155
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jsut how hard is it to get the ashtray to come out? I tried to get it out using the very helpful pictures posted but the force needed seemed to me to be excessive. I was really going at it hard on both sides of the ashtray and finally just put it back , afraid to break it. I had to use a wood block and a hammer to get it back in. Is that normal. I 'd really like to get the lighter working so I can use both my Valentine 1 and my GPS at the same time. Thanks. I have a 94 LS400
Old 04-12-11, 04:09 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by winner155
Jsut how hard is it to get the ashtray to come out? I tried to get it out using the very helpful pictures posted but the force needed seemed to me to be excessive. I was really going at it hard on both sides of the ashtray and finally just put it back , afraid to break it. I had to use a wood block and a hammer to get it back in. Is that normal. I 'd really like to get the lighter working so I can use both my Valentine 1 and my GPS at the same time. Thanks. I have a 94 LS400
I don't think it's supposed to be that hard to come out. Mine comes out nice and easy, although, it's been out a few times already. I don't even take out the trim around the shifter, but it is easier with it out if it's your first time. I tried this on my lighter and there was no fabric washer, just the regular copper washer.
Old 04-14-11, 07:48 AM
winner155
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks. I saw in the first post an easier way to get at the lighter, is the post saying to actually try and pry out the lighter assembly only, do you think?
Old 04-14-11, 11:15 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by winner155
thanks. I saw in the first post an easier way to get at the lighter, is the post saying to actually try and pry out the lighter assembly only, do you think?
NO, that one is for the backseat lighter. The front lighter doesn't come out without taking the ashtray out. What I do is pry downward (slide screwdriver in and push up on handle) between the ashtray and radio/HVAC unit, about 1/4 inch from each side. Then slide the screwdriver down inside, on the edges, jiggle and pry on the screwdriver and it comes out. It doesn't slide out smooth, it's in tight but it does come out.

I just realized the OP didn't make his own tutorial, (pics from lexls) It would have been nice if he had, at least, a pic of the lighter and washer.

Last edited by deanshark; 04-14-11 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-15-11, 10:48 PM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just tried this and the cigarette lighter still isnt working? is there any other test or methods to fix this?
Old 01-02-12, 10:29 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

[Now you have your ashtray assembly in your hands, turn it over and open it and you can see the bottom of the lighter socket, there's a nut on the very end, with a fabric washer in between 2 contact plates, undo this nut and remove the washer and replace the nut.

Hook everything back up and enjoy lighter happiness!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 2 cig lighters that are not working, I'm just curious before ripping out my ashtray and centerconsole. DOES anyone have pics of this wonderful fabric washer? LOL...

Last edited by /209JOHN\; 01-03-12 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-10-12, 01:07 PM
vicious
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone have a finished pic of what the back of the light should look like? i keep blowing fuses..
Old 01-10-12, 02:18 PM
KoukiMonst
Driver School Candidate

back of the light?
I have done this "mod"
I will go take my ashtray out and take pictures of everything for you.
Old 01-10-12, 02:48 PM
KoukiMonst
Driver School Candidate

K this is what the "fabric washer" looks like

Name:  IMG_1802.jpg
Views: 7362
Size:  17.0 KB

there is 2 of these washers on top of eachother remove them both.

Name:  IMG_1803.jpg
Views: 7436
Size:  44.2 KB

the Fusable link showed in red is the problem. so you take the nut off then you can see what I have outlined in black is kind of like a hinge, you can pull it back and there you will find the two washers pictured above, remove the washers then put that piece I outlined in black, back down but now touching the other metal *since the washers are removed* when you go to put the nut back on make sure you look down the barrel *where you would put the lighter in* and make sure the positive prongs do not touch the casing.

these pictures show you the position of the positive (when you take the nut off the back to remove the washer you will need to reposition the prongs so that they do not touch the housing on the inside) *the housing is the ground and the bottom / two side prongs are the positive. there is a fabric washer down there...you NEED that fabric washer that is in between the two.
Name:  IMG_1804.jpg
Views: 7342
Size:  32.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1805.jpg
Views: 7319
Size:  29.8 KB
DO NOT REMOVE THIS WASHER you will blow fuses
the washer down here is not round like the other washers. it has two cut outs on the side, noticeable different then the two that need removing.

please let me know if you need me to clarify anything. and sorry for the gross ashes and ****, need to clean that!
Old 01-10-12, 03:22 PM
vicious
Rookie

awesome, thank you so much.. yeah looks like im missing that fabric washer that goes in the inside of the housing.. hopefully this fixes my blowouts lol

and that should be put on the 1st post lol
Old 01-10-12, 04:16 PM
KoukiMonst
Driver School Candidate

no problem hopefully it works for you!
I was very confused the first time I did this, and pissed that the car community rarely post what fixed the issue that they are having, or if they do aren't very detailed in doing so.
Old 01-15-12, 10:15 AM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KoukiMonst
no problem hopefully it works for you!
I was very confused the first time I did this, and pissed that the car community rarely post what fixed the issue that they are having, or if they do aren't very detailed in doing so.
Kouki,

Thanks for helping us with the detailed pics. I attempted to do the fix myself, and I was unsuccessful.

I took out the nylon/fabric washer and it still did'nt work. I checked all the fuses too. I think my charger got roasted internally after I removed the nylon washer. I lost my patience and went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and bought 2 new cigarette lighters for like $6.00 each. After removing the center console and installing the new lighter, I discovered a penny lodged in my outlet. FML.. hahaha

I was skeptical at taking this apart at first. The removal went smoothly and it was'nt as bad as i thought. Reason is, I have a history of breaking little things like this in the past. lol

I'll post some pics soon

Last edited by /209JOHN\; 01-15-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-15-12, 10:23 AM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Post my attempt at fixing the two front cig. lighters

taking the console out:

unplug the front ashtray:
Name:  131a0da7.jpg
Views: 7514
Size:  153.3 KB
late night work area:
Name:  bb1b0e02.jpg
Views: 7621
Size:  128.4 KB
removing the front ashtray: (be careful, it get's a little tricky with the 2 spring assy inside)
Name:  2ef614b7.jpg
Views: 7429
Size:  122.4 KB
removing the center console:
Name:  d66d26d8.jpg
Views: 7491
Size:  108.0 KB
removal of washer:
Name:  0453dcb7.jpg
Views: 7415
Size:  119.8 KB
new cig. lighter I bought for $6.00 :
Name:  53afe3d9.jpg
Views: 7422
Size:  109.9 KB
damn penny I found in one of em: LOLz
Name:  7d3ec7da.jpg
Views: 7427
Size:  151.3 KB
new ligther fits like the oem ones:
Name:  e0690951.jpg
Views: 7462
Size:  91.2 KB
Old 02-29-12, 03:05 PM
gfjigi
Driver School Candidate

I've got the same problem, except I don't know how to put the electrical wire and metal tab thing back together again. When I try to assemble it it becomes too fat to fit onto the cigarette adapter screw. The screw only just out about .5 cm giving me very little to work with. And when I put the black plastic thing onto the metal tabs, it becomes kind of fat... Any advice? Would be greatly appreciated..
Old 03-01-12, 08:41 AM
TheDream
Rookie

Originally Posted by /209JOHN\
taking the console out:
^That picture is down. How exactly do you remove the wood console? I don't want to accidentally break the clips. The acura dealer broke 2 (of the 4) clips on my Legend's wood console so now it rattles sometimes while driving. I don't want that to happen to the LS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS Cigarette Lighter Fix (Tutorial)