LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

a/c control assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 06:37 PM
treeman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c control assembly

Is there a way to check a/c control assembly without pulling the whole dash including steeing wheel? I am working on heat and about to check several circuits that could be bad I guess, a/c assembly being one of them...me te tree
Old 01-25-10, 09:15 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by treeman
Is there a way to check a/c control assembly without pulling the whole dash including steeing wheel? I am working on heat and about to check several circuits that could be bad I guess, a/c assembly being one of them...me te tree
They provide diagnostics tests to let you zero down to individual components. If the individual component that you have to check/replace is buried under the tangle of crap under the dash, well, you have to bravely wade in. I would not do it without a pretty good assurance that the part I was going after was actually bad.
Colin
Old 01-26-10, 07:09 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

To perform the diag test:

"Running the A/C system diagnostics: When switching ignition ON push RECIRCULATION and AUTO buttons together and watch the LCD aircond. system screen normally used for temperature settings for a numerical code indicating the problem area. BTW, zero zero (00) means normal. First, all indicator lights will flash 4 times, then a buzzer beeps. When error codes are displayed a short while later, slower display (step mode by repeatedly pushing Fresh) can be activated by pushing FRESH. Hitting OFF stops the diagnostics."
here are the codes and what they mean:

Note: Code 21 - Open or Short in Solar Sensor Circuit.

In other words a code of 21 is normal if the sensor is not receiving enough light(from the Sun).

I hope this helps.
Old 01-26-10, 09:58 AM
treeman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what else to do

Everything helps guys, but diagnostic test through a/c unit shows nothing. The problem is I have no heat still and eberything I check is working properly. I just don't get it. If all diagnostics are good tstat is good water controls good hell everything I can possibly think of or read about is good, then what to do next?
Old 01-26-10, 06:35 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by treeman
Everything helps guys, but diagnostic test through a/c unit shows nothing. The problem is I have no heat still and eberything I check is working properly. I just don't get it. If all diagnostics are good tstat is good water controls good hell everything I can possibly think of or read about is good, then what to do next?
As mentioned in our PM correspondence, if the diagnostics come up with no code directing you to the actuator, then it may not have a tell-tale position sensor. At that point, you might have to take apart the entire inside climate control plenum to find the damper door/motor. If you can glean which two terminals on the A/C ECU go to the air mix valve, you might be able to hotwire to see if you can hear the motor, see the lever, you know? What are the actuator voltages?
Colin
Old 01-26-10, 08:01 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

How about the blender door? the ones that blends cool ac with that of the engine. Do you hear the door opening/closing when you increase the temperature?

I remember this was a big issue in my previous car (Mark VIII) and the blender door arm would break, causing the A/C to be stuck in either absolute HOT, or absolute COLD mode.