LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bubbles in my PS reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 09:09 AM
Calyko22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bubbles in my PS reservoir

What's up CL fam!!!

Okay so my PS is acting crazy and I just read up on Neofate's post about fixing it. I just had one question before I start working... I have noticed that when I go to refill my PS fluid I notice bubbles inside the reservoir and on the dip stick/cap, any ideas on that? anyone else had that happen to them?

Calz
Old 01-04-10, 10:16 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what it sounds like, I would guess the bubbles are air that is in the PS system. If you haven't already done so, replace the IACV with a new one, or simply block it off. If that has been done or is in good shape, I would think that there might be a leak if you have had to add to it. If you had to add to it and it was pretty low, I would guess you pulled some air in there briefly causing a little air to enter the pump and the system. Make sure the system is filled up, and go from left bump to right bump back to left bump, do this a few times and eventually you should be good. Let us know if this helps.
Old 01-04-10, 12:00 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's normal. So long as it's not foaming, you shouldn't have a problem. I would follow also add an inline filter to the return line if you have a chance.
Old 01-06-10, 02:55 PM
Calyko22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, yesterday I went ahead and bleeded(bled???? lol) they PS like you said 3UZ, I think I have a leak because im having to add to my fluid like everyother day, my fluid was foaming untill I did the bleeding but I havent checked it since then...Im going to flush that fluid out probably tomorrow so I will keep you posted on that....
Old 01-07-10, 10:44 AM
Calyko22
Driver School Candidate

I did have one more question...I keep seening people using dextron II/III automatic transmission fluid in the PS system, is that better than using PS fluid? I am really confused on that...
Old 01-07-10, 11:00 AM
3UZFTE

Yeah, if you have a factory power steering cap, it should say use Dex/Merc fluid... I used PS fluid for a while, but what I found out is that most PS systems use trans fluid to operate, and it is actually a little thicker than more generic PS fluid. There is no REAL difference, however I would use what the cap calls for, I don't think the type of fluid is goiing to matter all that much, but I use Dex/Merc cause thats what Lexus asks for, however if you pull in at the dealer I worked at, we used PS fluid. Hope that helps.
Old 01-07-10, 11:01 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yes thats what you're supposed to use in the PS systems of all LS400s.
power steering fluid doesnt have the correct heat/viscosity thresholds.
Old 01-07-10, 11:09 AM
3UZFTE

You do know that all Toyota dealerships will put PS fluid in all their PS systems, at least around here... As I worked at 2 of them, Carlson Toyota and Lexus of Wayzata, so as far as the right viscocity and heat thersholds, I am not sure about it cause I have no facts about it so I can't comment other than what I have experienced, never had anyone complain or have any issues other than leaks, but thats mostly because of the system and not the fluid, as a matter of fact, all new Toyotas come with PS fluid and not Dex/Merc.
Old 01-10-10, 06:54 AM
Calyko22
Driver School Candidate

3UZFTE, Pure, Avalon....Thanks for the advice guys I figured out what the problem was. I had been re-filling my PS with PSF for a while now and everysince I started doing it I began to hear that noise until it got super loud...I flush, replace with ATF and it disappears instantly. Also the cap says "replace with Dexron ATF fluid to the correct level" LMAO!!! maybe I should start slowing down before trying stuff huh

Good looking out fellas
Old 01-10-10, 02:00 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Yeah, if you have a factory power steering cap, it should say use Dex/Merc fluid... I used PS fluid for a while, but what I found out is that most PS systems use trans fluid to operate, and it is actually a little thicker than more generic PS fluid. There is no REAL difference, however I would use what the cap calls for, I don't think the type of fluid is goiing to matter all that much, but I use Dex/Merc cause thats what Lexus asks for, however if you pull in at the dealer I worked at, we used PS fluid. Hope that helps.
From my experience, there is a difference in the way the PS behaves when using power steering fluid as opposed to Mercon/Dexron ATF. When I got my vehicle it had regular PS fluid in it, and I think your right, the fluid is thinner. My power steering was so light with regular PS fluid in it, it was difficult to keep the vehicle inside the lines on the highway @ 70mph. I flushed the system and put in Mobil1 ATF (dexron/mercon compliant) and the steering tightened up and feels normal.