LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Remote Keyless locking system not working anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-09, 07:07 AM
topgun129
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Keyless locking system not working anymore...

Hi,

After many years of using the remote keyless locking system in my 93 LS400, now for some reason it no longer is working. I have changed the key battery but that did not do it either. I am simply not getting a response from the car when pressing the button on my key. If I use the manual switch on near my windows the car locks fine and when I use the key holes on the doors to unlock or lock the car everything goes smooth.

I had in the past problems where the Remote Keyless locking system would not work for a few days but then it would start working again, but now it seems like a no-go!

Any ideas guys and gals? I believe the fuse is #10 but my dome light which is on the same fuse (and all other lights) are working so I don't thing the fuse is a problem.

Thanks in advance for your tips!
Old 07-06-09, 06:45 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sometimes its the antana within the key's remote (some had success soldiering it back) and sometimes its the receiver within the car.

I've searched for this and found a few threads in the SC300/400 forums, but never really fixed it on our old SC since it wasn't the key, and i did not have the time to replace the receiver.
Old 07-07-09, 09:15 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is dumb, but do you have the keyless entry activation switch flipped to the on position? It is to the left of the steering column and has an on/off switch.
Old 07-07-09, 11:07 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I opted to forget about the built-in keyless entry since its range is so limited and installed a Viper remote start that also locks/unlocks the doors from at least a 1/4 mile away. The OEM alarm still works as designed with this installed.
Old 07-07-09, 12:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
This is dumb, but do you have the keyless entry activation switch flipped to the on position? It is to the left of the steering column and has an on/off switch.
not sure about the 1st gen, but in the 95-00 there's a small button under the driver's side dash that turns the alarm beeps on or off.
Old 07-07-09, 12:04 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yep the 1LS has the **** for the volume.
Old 07-09-09, 08:08 PM
topgun129
Rookie

Hi,

The switch is set to on and the volume is set to the max. I'm still scratching my head as to what has caused this since it was working fine!

Any other ideas?
Old 07-09-09, 10:38 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's what Grand said. The transceiver on your keyless entry is not working anymore. Either the signal is too weak or it's not sending it anymore. You could always go Mikado like I did, but read up on it before you do. There are good and bad things about this kit.
Old 07-10-09, 08:26 PM
topgun129
Rookie

so bacially to make sure I'm on the same page I'm going to need a new key? If so, where would be the cheapest place to pick one up? I'm sure the dealer will be an arm and a leg. Maybe ebay?
Old 07-10-09, 09:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

google "Mikado Technologies"
Old 07-12-09, 06:01 PM
Ca12los69
Driver

In the trunk, behind the left side cover. there should be a silver ecu box. This controls the wireless door locks. It has a antenna cable going into I believe. It should be to the right of the antenna motor somewhere. This is your problem, if everything else has checked out fine.
I replaced this from a junk yard for $50.
Solved my problem.
Old 07-12-09, 07:30 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

carlos!!! dude where did u go? updates on the supercharger!
Old 07-13-09, 03:44 PM
DoktorYes
Rookie

If you want to test the key transmitter. Get a small FM radio set the frequency to 94.9MHz and then press the button on the key transmitter, if there is noise when you press button, key is working.Your problem is on the vehicle side.I hope this helps narrow down problem.
Old 07-13-09, 08:13 PM
topgun129
Rookie

Thank you everybody for your help so far.

@DoktorYes - I did what you recommeded and there was no difference in the frequency signal/sound/noise of 94.9 so I'm probably coming to the conclusion that the key is shot.

One other thing that might have an affect on the receiver is that recently I've been noticing a slight small little puddle of water forming at the bottom of the trunk where the spare tire is located (near the round rubber seal). This water forms after it rains really hard which causes moisture and dampness under the trunk carpet and sometimes on the top of the carpet. One thing coming to mind is that the dampness could have affected the receiver in some way (moisture). Its just an idea. What do you guys think?

It might sound crazy but I think the water comes from the bottom of the car to the top into the area where the spare tire is. I do not think in any way there is a leak where the trunk door is.

I'm not sure, but I'm mostly leaning in the direction that the key is faulty and if so is Mikodo's kit the only option I have if only the key is at fault?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-09, 01:37 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by topgun129
I'm not sure, but I'm mostly leaning in the direction that the key is faulty and if so is Mikodo's kit the only option I have if only the key is at fault?

Thanks!
No, Mikado's is not the only option you have...you can get an aftermarket system installed in your car (like Viper, UNGO, etc.) and use the key for the ignition, while keyless/trunk/whatever other option you want will be programmed into the transmitter unit they give you. Mikado incorporates lock/unlock/trunk/alarm into the key itself, do a search here on the forum and it will show you what the kit looks like.

Up to you on how you want to proceed, but make sure you read all the notes about the Mikado kit before purchase.

Quick Reply: Remote Keyless locking system not working anymore...