LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

UCF20 LS400 - Complete bush kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 07:40 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UCF20 LS400 - Complete bush kit?

Hi guys. I'm new to these forums, but have been on lextreme and LOC uk for a while. I bought a 95 LS400 about a year ago and am in the process of making it drive a bit tighter. After lowering it with new tein springs and KYB shocks i've ended up running out of adjustment with the rear alignment. It now runs too much toe out and too much negative camber, my alignment guy cant do a thing about it. Its not ridiculously low, the rear tyre tread sits about 5mm higher than the wheel arch.

At first i was looking for camber/toe correction kits, but i've since been told that it often has more to do with worn bushes, particularly in the upper control arms/wishbones. So I want to start by at least getting them sorted before i look into camber/toe correction.

I found www.l-tunedparts.com and Daizin that list a few bushes available, but im after a complete re-bush kit like you can buy for so many other cars. The UCF10/11's seem to be able to get most of them, but there aint much around for UCF20's - can anyone point me to a supplier of a real deal kit?

Cheers for any help

Gene

Last edited by gmacrae; 06-09-09 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 12:56 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

tein doesnt sell springs for the LS
did you mean Tanabe?
Old 06-09-09, 04:50 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
tein doesnt sell springs for the LS
did you mean Tanabe?
Nope, tein. They definitely do. I got the last set in NZ

I ended up replacing all 4 upper wishbones with new oem parts. Same price as the arnot industries wishbones. I checked out all the lower arm bushes while the car was in the air, all are actually in good condition.

I can definitely recommend replacing the upper wishbones if your LS has done more than 150,000kms and you plan to keep it. The uppers actually have sealed greased rose joint type links, not rubber bushes (on the UCF20 anyway). I guess this makes them last longer but mine were still a bit slack.

Gene
Old 06-09-09, 09:49 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where did you get the OEM ones for the price of arnott's ?
I need all 4 as well.
Old 06-09-09, 11:02 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
Where did you get the OEM ones for the price of arnott's ?
I need all 4 as well.
Sorry, my profile doesn't say where i live yet, but i'm in New Zealand.

The dealer i use to get all my genuine parts, big toyota dealership in Wellington NZ.

http://www.rutherfordandbond.toyota.co.nz/

The parts guy I'm dealing with these days is Rory. They're definitely genuine, came with all the toyota stickers and part numbers on them. The fronts were in NZ already, rears had to come from japan. I'd say he'll tell you that your local dealership should be able to sell you them for the same price, if they're willing to do you a trade deal like he does for me.

He should be OK to ship stuff to the US, call the Wellington branch (+64 4 385 1889), ask for Parts dept, ask for Rory - good guy to deal with.

With that said, I doubt there is ANY difference at all between the genuine parts with all the toyota stickers on them and the Arnott parts - i bet they're from the same factory. I ordered mine from here in NZ because I like dealing with Rutherford & Bond and i didn't want any shipping difficulties ordering parts from the states.

Good luck

Gene

Last edited by gmacrae; 06-09-09 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 11:29 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The arnott arms are made by a seperate supplier than toyota as the original sets had a balljoint bolt made too long as well as a more flat but beefier design to them.
If arnott made them with replacable ball joints i would be on it for OEM price alone.
I have seen the arnott arms go for 225 for a pair.
Old 06-10-09, 01:01 AM
gmacrae
Driver

So you've been able to compare them side by side?

The ball joints last a VERY long time (at least the stockers do). Still after 350k i guess they could be getting sloppy. What surprised me was the solid rose joints / bearings at the other end of the wishbone. I was expecting rubber bushes like i've seen on most other cars (like the UCF10 - right?).
Old 06-10-09, 06:52 AM
acidfire52
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a list of all the bushings and whatnot that should be replaced on a high mileage car? I need to replace all of mine I am sure, just don't know all what to buy.
Sorry to thread jack, seemed like a good place to ask.
Old 06-10-09, 01:20 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Originally Posted by acidfire52
Is there a list of all the bushings and whatnot that should be replaced on a high mileage car? I need to replace all of mine I am sure, just don't know all what to buy.
Sorry to thread jack, seemed like a good place to ask.
Not really, i looked for the same list EVERYWHERE

If you want to be real thourough about it. Your best bet would to be get the car in the air and pull all the suspension out to inspect it. If the upper control arm bushes look worn (whether they have rubber bushes (UCF10 i think?) or sealed rose joints (UCF20)), replace the arms.

I'd recommend using only rubber bushes in the suspension if you can. Im putting urethane steering rack bushes in now (def recommended) but thats because they cant make creaking noises there, and if anything, i'd like more steering feedback than lexus set up.

Last edited by gmacrae; 06-10-09 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 06:38 PM
1Bentley
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get urethane steering rack bushes for a ls400?
Old 08-19-09, 08:16 AM
acidfire52
Driver

Does anyone have a list of the replaceable parts on the UCF20?
Old 08-19-09, 08:37 AM
1Bentley
Rookie

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Aren't all parts replaceable?
Old 08-20-09, 07:41 AM
acidfire52
Driver

Looking for a list of the part numbers for the wearable parts on the suspension.
Which bushings and arms to get.
Old 08-20-09, 09:05 AM
1Bentley
Rookie

Thanks for clarifying. I would call the parts department at your lexus dealer for that info.
By the way, I was inspecting the underside of my 188k 95 yesterday and all the bushings
still look good so you might want to inspect or have inspected, yours to see what actually needs replacing.
I did find that my rubber flex discs at both ends of the drive shaft were cracked - a potentially more dangerous condition than any worn suspension bushings!
Old 08-20-09, 01:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

when you "inspected" the suspension bushings, did you take a pry bar to the arms to stress them, coz that's the oly way you're going to see the tearing on them...

Quick Reply: UCF20 LS400 - Complete bush kit?