LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

OEM HID Bulbs are completely shot - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 04:50 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OEM HID Bulbs are completely shot - recommendations?

So last night I noticed my HIDs were a milky white color, and I figured I had a few more weeks until the bulbs were completely dead... not a chance. The right passenger side bulb flickered, then went out, and not even 5 minutes later, the driver's side did the same thing. What was ironic is when I started it up, the bulbs were very Blue.

I need everyone's recommendations on HID Bulbs (D2R) and where I can buy them. There are a few threads on this, but they are older, and I'm sure some newer bulbs/distributors have popped up since then. I want to stay away from any bulbs over 6000K, and would prefer a 5000K bulb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys,

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-26-08, 01:00 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a pair of working OEM D2R bulbs. $50 shipped.
Old 12-26-08, 03:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sorry for bailing when we were talkin man, i was kinda in the middle of several things at the time.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme_HID.../xt-d2r-5k.htm for cheap and easy (5000k xenondepot brand)

find some Phillips Ultinon D2R bulbs for the expensive and high end (6000k)

ebay'd Phillips/Osram 85126+ (~5000k OEM replacement, hard to find, but best balance of color/light output, and not too expensive )
Old 12-26-08, 03:03 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Philips + bulbs are not 5000k. They are yellower than stock but put out more lumens. They resist color shifting.

Philips CM (color match) bulbs are the 5000k ones.
Old 01-01-09, 09:44 PM
arnage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coincidentally, my driver's side HID went out today. i only noticed when i got out of the car on the driveway. I thought that was odd (as I figured I would have noticed the imbalance while driving), so I cycled the headlights on / off again.

Oddly enough, the HID that was out went back on. Nice!! (so I thought). Maybe 30 seconds later, it began flickering, and went out again.

In any case, thanks for the links. I'll probably buy the Xtreme HID D2R bulbs. More importantly, is it difficult to actually install these bulbs -- having never done so before? If not, is there a tutorial somewhere for installation on a '99 LS400? Thanks...

Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-09, 04:32 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arnage
Coincidentally, my driver's side HID went out today. i only noticed when i got out of the car on the driveway. I thought that was odd (as I figured I would have noticed the imbalance while driving), so I cycled the headlights on / off again.

Oddly enough, the HID that was out went back on. Nice!! (so I thought). Maybe 30 seconds later, it began flickering, and went out again.

In any case, thanks for the links. I'll probably buy the Xtreme HID D2R bulbs. More importantly, is it difficult to actually install these bulbs -- having never done so before? If not, is there a tutorial somewhere for installation on a '99 LS400? Thanks...

Happy New Year!
WAIT! They are out of stock on the D2R bulbs 4300-6000K, and I am having a hard time getting my money back. I'll get angry if this escalades into a court situation.

"BUT WAIT, WE CAN SUBSTITUTE FOR 8000K BULBS!!"
"ARE YOU SURE YOU DONT WANT TO DO THAT? THEY ARE BLUER!"
Old 01-03-09, 04:34 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ntran18
I got a pair of working OEM D2R bulbs. $50 shipped.
When you say working... do you mean barely?

My other bulb went out on my on my trip to Memphis a couple days ago so now I'm desperate to find some. And XENONDEPOT is not helping. I would not recommend them as they will not respond to my Emails.
Old 01-03-09, 09:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
When you say working... do you mean barely?

My other bulb went out on my on my trip to Memphis a couple days ago so now I'm desperate to find some. And XENONDEPOT is not helping. I would not recommend them as they will not respond to my Emails.
it's new years man, they'll get to you

were great when i dealt with them, if you can't get them in a couple days, hit me up and i'll give steve a call for ya.
Old 01-05-09, 03:11 PM
arnage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

removal of the damned corner signal light to access the main headlamp housing was the most frustrating experience I have ever had with this car. net result, a broken (cracked) corner signal, as well as broken plastic tabs (ALL of them...) that had previously connected the corner signal to the car. a new corner signal is on the way (thanks, ebay).

of course, I had removed the top screw before i started attempting to pry the corner signal out. is there any easier way to do this? I am hesitant to even consider doing the same procedure for the other side of the car. as much as i'd like to chalk it up to the 10 yr old plastic being extra brittle in the cold, i still feel as if it's just my inexperience more than anything else.

could anyone chime in on how (specifically, besides just "pull and wiggle until loose") they were able to remove the corner signal lights?
Old 01-07-09, 12:33 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arnage
removal of the damned corner signal light to access the main headlamp housing was the most frustrating experience I have ever had with this car. net result, a broken (cracked) corner signal, as well as broken plastic tabs (ALL of them...) that had previously connected the corner signal to the car. a new corner signal is on the way (thanks, ebay).

of course, I had removed the top screw before i started attempting to pry the corner signal out. is there any easier way to do this? I am hesitant to even consider doing the same procedure for the other side of the car. as much as i'd like to chalk it up to the 10 yr old plastic being extra brittle in the cold, i still feel as if it's just my inexperience more than anything else.

could anyone chime in on how (specifically, besides just "pull and wiggle until loose") they were able to remove the corner signal lights?
If you think that's bad, just wait until you replace you corner lights on your bumper... now that's a pain in the ***.
Old 01-07-09, 01:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

and neck, shoulder, back, hands, wrist, and arms.
Old 01-07-09, 07:14 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
and neck, shoulder, back, hands, wrist, and arms.
And Eye if you're looking up.
Old 01-10-09, 05:25 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

UPDATE: So I bought the Phillips 5000K 85126CM COLOR MATCH bulbs from Aftermarketbulbshop.com and I am very pleased with the result. Both of them ran me $225 Shipped with insurance, and the shipping from California was almost overnight. Great communication with the company, and the bulbs look great at night. They haven't color shifted yet, so there is still some blue to come out of the light, but they appear to be a slight bluer than the stock white bulbs, and they extend much farther than the other bulbs.

Just for anyone ever needing to replace there HIDs, this is the bulb to go with if you want more blue out of your HIDs without sacrificing Lumens.