LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering Leak on '95...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08, 09:44 PM
B-b0y
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak on '95...

I'm having to fill my power steering fluid about once a month and just noticed the puddle in my driveway. From the looks of it... it's coming from my power steering resevoir. Is this a common problem w/ this year? Gonna try and track down the source, but just curious if there's a quick fix for it for those that may have dealt w/ this problem already...

Last edited by B-b0y; 09-22-08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-22-08, 05:56 AM
eg6ky
Rookie

I have heard of the hose having to be replaced. Ebay has them.
Old 09-22-08, 07:35 AM
B-b0y
Driver

Originally Posted by eg6ky
I have heard of the hose having to be replaced. Ebay has them.
The hose coming off the bottom of the resevoir?
Old 09-22-08, 08:08 AM
ffcgary1
Driver School Candidate

Default p/s leek

The leek is prob the small o ring on the p/s res where it enters the pump, it is a common fault and one that i have to do, as mine is leeking but not as bad as yours. Get it done soon as the oil will trash the alternator that sits right below it. A cheap fix but a bit fiddly.
Old 09-22-08, 09:30 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by ffcgary1
The leek is prob the small o ring on the p/s res where it enters the pump, it is a common fault and one that i have to do, as mine is leeking but not as bad as yours. Get it done soon as the oil will trash the alternator that sits right below it. A cheap fix but a bit fiddly.
If the alternator isn't getting the fluid, you have a bit of leisure time to get it fixed. If it is getting soaked...take care of it ASAP. I had mine resealed (new o-rings) and such for like $180.
Old 09-22-08, 04:04 PM
ffcgary1
Driver School Candidate

The 0 ring cost me £O.50p sterling [about a doller to you guys] and it should only take about an hour to do after you have sucked all the fluid out of the res tank. an easy diy job.
Old 09-23-08, 11:39 PM
B-b0y
Driver

Thanks guys. Don't suppose you know the part # off hand for the right O-ring and if I can get it at Autozone or not, do you? Can't seem to find it anywhere...
Old 09-24-08, 02:19 PM
ffcgary1
Driver School Candidate

Default part No

I will try and find the o ring plastic bag from my garage tomorrow eve and post up the details for you, if not your local dealer will have it. The part no that i bought was for a 93 gen 1 but i think that they are all the same.
Old 09-24-08, 09:33 PM
B-b0y
Driver

I will try and find the o ring plastic bag from my garage tomorrow eve and post up the details for you, if not your local dealer will have it. The part no that i bought was for a 93 gen 1 but i think that they are all the same.

Awesome man! Yeah, lemme know if you can, thanks...
Old 09-25-08, 07:20 AM
ffcgary1
Driver School Candidate

Default part no

The part No for the p/s res tank to pump body is 90080-30040 and that is a toyota part no so they should be able to supply it to you. The parts guy did also ask for a chassis No to cross check fitment but as i said this is for a 93 gen1 car but they should be the same through the range years. Lets hope yours is just the o ring not anything more extensive but hey ho start at the basics and work through the possabilities.
Old 09-25-08, 09:48 AM
B-b0y
Driver

The part No for the p/s res tank to pump body is 90080-30040 and that is a toyota part no so they should be able to supply it to you. The parts guy did also ask for a chassis No to cross check fitment but as i said this is for a 93 gen1 car but they should be the same through the range years. Lets hope yours is just the o ring not anything more extensive but hey ho start at the basics and work through the possabilities.
You da man!!
Old 09-25-08, 10:01 AM
Lex-luger
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by B-b0y
I'm having to fill my power steering fluid about once a month and just noticed the puddle in my driveway. From the looks of it... it's coming from my power steering resevoir. Is this a common problem w/ this year? Gonna try and track down the source, but just curious if there's a quick fix for it for those that may have dealt w/ this problem already...
Ok, slow it down...take a deep breath...and let's hope for the best! Here is what I can tell you with my experience on my '98 LS 400: I had the same problem. Couldn't quite pin-point where the leak was coming from, or why. Well, after my alternator burnt out from power steering fluid leaking on it and blowing roughly $400.0+ dollars, I then focused my attention the leak (I kept replacing fluid as well, dumb/lazy move that eventually costed me $$$). Low and behold, it was coming from the resevoir alright, the BOTTOM of the resevoir where the hose connects and the fluid runs through. What it actually was, was a cheap-*** plastic clamp that wasn't CLAMPING correctly anymore! Can you believe that? There was no problem with the resevoir, or the hose itself, rather the clamp that connects the hose with the resevoir. Try clipping off the existing clamp and replacing it with a metal, phillips head screw-tight/down clamp...runs 'bout a buck or 2 for the little clamp. Clean out the area completely (the resevoir, the hose where there is build up), then run it for about 15 minutes....if it is dry and clean, that was the problem. Mine hasn't leaked since......good luck~Lex-Luger
Old 09-25-08, 08:56 PM
B-b0y
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex-luger
Ok, slow it down...take a deep breath...and let's hope for the best! Here is what I can tell you with my experience on my '98 LS 400: I had the same problem. Couldn't quite pin-point where the leak was coming from, or why. Well, after my alternator burnt out from power steering fluid leaking on it and blowing roughly $400.0+ dollars, I then focused my attention the leak (I kept replacing fluid as well, dumb/lazy move that eventually costed me $$$). Low and behold, it was coming from the resevoir alright, the BOTTOM of the resevoir where the hose connects and the fluid runs through. What it actually was, was a cheap-*** plastic clamp that wasn't CLAMPING correctly anymore! Can you believe that? There was no problem with the resevoir, or the hose itself, rather the clamp that connects the hose with the resevoir. Try clipping off the existing clamp and replacing it with a metal, phillips head screw-tight/down clamp...runs 'bout a buck or 2 for the little clamp. Clean out the area completely (the resevoir, the hose where there is build up), then run it for about 15 minutes....if it is dry and clean, that was the problem. Mine hasn't leaked since......good luck~Lex-Luger

Very interesting. Well I ordered the o-ring today from Lexus cuz it was only $2 (should be in tomorrow), but I'll def check out the clamp when I'm down there lookin' around for its condition. Good lookin' out man!!