LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 LS400 vs 95LS400 driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 10:57 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default 93 LS400 vs 95LS400 driving impressions

So this morning picked up a friends 93LS400. Drove it 100 miles, will keep it till tomorrow. Car has 223k miles, bone stock, every maintenance on it ever done, tip top shape.

First impression was that it felt more nimble than my 95LS. I am very sensitive to weight given I have other cars that weigh 1300lbs and 1850lbs, and ride motorcycles on a regular basis. I have spent many thousands of dollars trimming weight on the race cars and bikes.

I don't know the weight of the 93, but it felt it wanted to "dance more on its feet" than my 95.

Oh the city, car seemed peppy and brakes were good. Ride was same as when my car stock.

On the highway, car definitely pulled harder than mine. However, I drive my car conservatively never exceeding 2100 rpm, whereas I drove this 4500-5500, so have to put that in there. Driven the same way, I think the motor on both cars will be same

Good about the 93LS
1) Absolutely loved the tilt steering stop button. My SC has this, and it is great, I can set the steering wheel and it will stay there. I have no idea why Lexus stopped putting the button on the 95LS. I doubt they saved a few dollars for the button, but it is annoying for the wheel to go up and down all the time.

2) Instrument cluster-loved how it had a 3 dimensional look. First I thought it was my eyes, but then took my sun glasses off, and the seat belt light looks like it was a hologram and it is "floating" inside the RPM cluster. Very cool. My 95LS doesn't have this.

Things I absolutely hated about the 93LS
1) Visors/headliner-they were all cloth. Made no sense, when the car is fully leather. It really cheapens the effect and doesn't mesh well together at all.

2) CupHolders-on my 95, it is very smooth and it pops up. On the 93, it pops up "hard." Not only that, the 93 has a silly "vinyl" piece that holds the cup in there. Very cheap looking and annoying and gets the cup stuck in there.

3) Sound system-It had the "Lexus premium sound system" whereas my 95has the nakamichi. The 93s sound system was absolutely garbage. Also I drove the same road where I drive the 95LS, and with radio antennae extended on both cars, the 93 couldn't pick up the same station!

4) Climate Control-the area was too busy. Too many buttons. Also I don't like using the "auto" feature, and I like using the AC button on my own. On the 93, the AC button is too far (on passenger side), so the reach is too much. Also the cluster looks too busy. In addition, the screens are too small.

5) Steering wheel-the car had lots of "deadness" and "slop" in the steering wheel. Also once you turned it enough past the slop, there was no feeling. My 95LS isn't crisp like a sports car, but it has more feel to it, and not as much on center slop.

6) Steering wheel shape-if you look closely, the 93LS middle part sits in, whereas the 95LS sits flush, and it makes a huge difference. The 93 design in comparison looks bad, to my eyes. Though I prefer the 3 spoke of my 99SC300 over both of these.

7) Cruise Control-is VERY abrupt on the 93. When I disengaged it, it seems like one put the brakes on. When I engaged it, same thing, you "felt" it, whereas in the 95 it is very seamless.

I prefer the outside temp to be in the center in big number like the 95LS has, and not burried in the left corner of the instrument cluster.

Overall, I think there are little things in the 95LS that make it a better every day driver, for me, from the little nick nacks, to the other amenities. Driving the car (motor/suspension/brakes), both are very similar, and would be ranked neck and neck.

I am in no way bashing the 93LS. It is a great car in its own right. With 223K miles on the odometer, the car is running as good as new, is a testament to Toyota build quality.

I think every generation LS gets better than the last. We also have a new 460 in our extended family that I have driven a few times.

What I am saying is, even though every generation LS seems so similar to the last, Lexus does take its time and make small changes that can be visible when one lives with the car on a day to day basis.
Old 07-24-08, 02:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

a mutual "friend" i take it
Old 07-24-08, 02:36 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
a mutual "friend" i take it
Affirmative
Old 07-24-08, 08:39 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My only...confusions about your post is the weight issue.
One of the biggest deals about the gen 2 was that the weight went down rather than up as is normally expected.

The feel of the cruise control disengaging is probably because the 95 has a 5 speed tranny and thus probably turns slower in 5th gear at highway speeds compared to the 93 in its 4th gear.
Old 07-24-08, 08:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The 2nd gen also has much better seats and much better wood trim around center console and shifter.
Old 07-24-08, 08:54 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfkd
My only...confusions about your post is the weight issue.
One of the biggest deals about the gen 2 was that the weight went down rather than up as is normally expected.

The feel of the cruise control disengaging is probably because the 95 has a 5 speed tranny and thus probably turns slower in 5th gear at highway speeds compared to the 93 in its 4th gear.
That would be incorrect. My 95LS has a 4 speed tranny, 98LS has the 5 speed tranny. On the highway, the 93 and the 95 ran almost identical rpms at 70-85mph.

I know the weight went down. Remember the 93 I drove is well maintained top notch, my car has dirty oil filter, dirty spark plugs and wires, and tons of crap in the intake manifold.

Once all that is cleared up (by tomorrow), I can tell you how peppy my 95LS is
Old 07-24-08, 08:55 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
The 2nd gen also has much better seats and much better wood trim around center console and shifter.
Couldn't really feel the seats, so no comments. Agree on the wood trim, oh yeah the 93 has the horrendous ugly shifter.
Old 07-25-08, 09:14 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I much prefer the ungated shift pattern of the 1st gen over what the 95+ models have.
Old 07-25-08, 09:20 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by damon
I much prefer the ungated shift pattern of the 1st gen over what the 95+ models have.
The shifter thing doesn't bother me much. My first SC had straight shifter, my second SC had gated.

My LS has gated, it isn't a big deal.

One thing I like on the LS gated is, I can just move it from 4-3 if needed, and don't have to press the overdrive button like the 93LS.

Another thing I noticed this morning on my 93LS with the non gated is, if I rest my hand on the center console while driving, there isn't "enough room" to move the shifter comfortably back to "2" and "L" while resting my hand on the center console and finger tips on top of the shifter. I have to raise my hand, put it on the shifter, and pull back.

All this is nitpicking, the 93LS is a great car.

Lastly, I noticed when turning the key, the 93LS starter fires right up, whereas my 95LS takes a bit longer. Hmm I wonder if my 95LS starter isn't as strong.
Old 07-25-08, 06:16 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I totally understand what you mean about going from D to 2 to L however, how often does the average driver use those gears anyway...unless you live in a mountain town anyway.
Old 07-25-08, 06:53 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfkd
I totally understand what you mean about going from D to 2 to L however, how often does the average driver use those gears anyway...unless you live in a mountain town anyway.
Am certainly not an average driver, and I live in the mountains
Old 07-25-08, 07:54 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NEVER TAKE IT OVER 2100RPM!!!!!!!

How is that even possible??

You need to wake that sucker up son!
Old 12-15-08, 12:24 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrome04

I'd hate to get stuck behind someone only churning 2100rpms through every gear in traffic or a highway merge. It would get my GS screaming LOL. Nice comparasion on the cars.

To elaborate on the shifters...my friend's 94 es300 has a straight shifter whereas my GS has a gate shifter. I will argue though different cars, that the gated shifter is much each to use without having to move your arm off that console. So, I would imagine it's like that in the LS too.
Old 12-15-08, 12:27 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

I was at the light on Saturday and made the Lotus sing to 7100 in 3 gears, before I let off
Old 12-16-08, 06:29 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I drive my car conservatively never exceeding 2100 rpm, whereas I drove this 4500-5500, so have to put that in there.

Good about the 93LS
1) Absolutely loved the tilt steering stop button.

2) Instrument cluster-loved how it had a 3 dimensional look. My 95LS doesn't have this.

Things I absolutely hated about the 93LS
1) Visors/headliner-they were all cloth.

2) CupHolders-on my 95, it is very smooth and it pops up. On the 93, it pops up "hard." Not only that, the 93 has a silly "vinyl" piece that holds the cup in there. Very cheap looking and annoying and gets the cup stuck in there.

I prefer the outside temp to be in the center in big number like the 95LS has, and not burried in the left corner of the instrument cluster.
5500? Does your friend normally take it that high? I took mine to 5K once, but it was an accident caused by the dealer (long story)

Like you - I very rarely take my LS over 2800 rpms and normally never over 2300 rpms, as there never seem to be a need unless in an emergency situation.

Interesting.... I did not know that the 95s did not have the auto-tilt shut-off button or the "3D" warning lights.

Also interesting... my 1991 LS does not have cloth visors. They are leatherlike (may be some sort of high grade vinyl). Cloth visors must have been a 1993-94 thing. Mine does have a cloth headliner, but I never notice it. I am just glad they are not prone to sagging like many other car makes of that era. What type of headliner does the 95-97s have? Vinyl? My old 1991 Accord LX had a vinyl-type headliner, but was appealing.

Originally Posted by jcrome04

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
I'd hate to get stuck behind someone only churning 2100rpms through every gear in traffic or a highway merge.

I rarely have to take mine over 2500-2800 - never really no need around here - but on the freeway when on entry ramps, 3K may sometimes be necessary. My car has adequate power at lower RPMS, but I do baby it too much.

Quick Reply: 93 LS400 vs 95LS400 driving impressions