LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Important decision... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 11:44 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Important decision... what to do?

Well, I'm going away to school, and as far as I know, I can only hang on to one car while I'm gone.

Right now, I have a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, and of course my Lexus LS400.

The Lexus, she's my baby, but there is thousands upon thousands of dollars of stuff that it needs, a lot of work, and she still won't be close to perfect. I like the car, but as of lately, I have been getting feelings that it leaves a LOT to be desired.

The Crown Vic, I like damn near everything about it. It's fast as-is, performance is CHEAP, replacement parts are CHEAPER, just about everything off the car is easy to find. It commands a lot of respect on the road, it's fun to drive, and it's fairly comfortable too. Gas-wise, it's just about the same as the Lexus. The motors are fairly solid too and very reliable.

I am at the point where a slow turd money pit baller-mobile is just too much. I'm going off to school, will probably only need a car for 1/3 of the year for the next 4 years. Money is tight, and I can't do jack **** with the Lexus, considering everything costs an arm and a leg. Performance? Yeah, keep dreaming, even basic maintenance is way too much for these damn cars.

So what do I keep and what goes? I have a couple options- keep the Crown Vic, sell the Lexus. Keep the Lexus, sell the Crown Vic, or Keep the Crown Vic and part out the Lexus.

Obviously, I will return to the Lexus game once I get a full-time job years down the road, at which point I will be able to fund more elaborate mods, and really have my dream UCF1X. In the mean-time, I could completely strip down my existing UCF10 in my garage, and part it out over the next 4 years, and hopefully break even on how much I paid for it and how much I have into it.

Opinions are welcomed. Am I just a delusional broke college freshman? Am I making the right decision? Should I get rid of both and buy something else?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-08, 11:48 PM
icantsee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny that you mention this.

I was telling my friends that I want a Black Crown Victoria, gut it & put all Lexus parts.

So it's a Super Sleeper, it looks like a cop car, but it's reliable & will never die.

How bizarre would it by driving into the Lexus Service Department!!
Old 07-09-08, 12:00 AM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

From a pure enthusiast standpoint, the Ford Modular 4.6L V8 will run circles around Lexus 4.0L V8 all day.

Yeah, the Vic has a dated chassis, and a lot of the interior isn't exactly "modern", but sometimes it's the simple things in life...
Old 07-09-08, 12:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you want drop both, work ur head off, buy a clean UCF20 (early or late depending on budget) and roll with that

the possibilities are endless, you can sell one and keep one, or sell both and buy something completely different
Old 07-09-08, 07:08 AM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

I don't want anything different, at heart, I want to have a UCF1X that's clean, runs well, and goes fast. Someday it will happen, but right now, I just don't think it's practical to hang on to my current LS.

The Crown Vic seems like a much more practical alternative to get through college, and afterwards, well, I'll have a LOT more money to play around with, so money won't be the biggest issue anymore.
Old 07-09-08, 09:07 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your crown vic runs fine. i would take that over the UCF1x. just because your still a student and all and you need something pratical. if your UCF1x was in tip top shape, than you could of kept that. but like you said it seems like you still have problems. you will always be able to pick up another UCF1x down the road.
Conserve Money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-08, 06:14 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pfantom68
From a pure enthusiast standpoint, the Ford Modular 4.6L V8 will run circles around Lexus 4.0L V8 all day.

Yeah, the Vic has a dated chassis, and a lot of the interior isn't exactly "modern", but sometimes it's the simple things in life...
I know a few Lexus 4.0L V8s that will run circlres around the 16 Valve 4.6L V8
Old 07-12-08, 08:46 AM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I know a few Lexus 4.0L V8s that will run circlres around the 16 Valve 4.6L V8
Yeah, but I'm sure their wallets got ***-raped.

If they put the same amount of money into a 4.6L, they would be running circles around the Lexus motor every day of the week.

But let's not turn this into a Lexus vs. Ford debate.
Old 07-12-08, 11:35 AM
cjmeyer
Driver School Candidate

Say goodbye to the Lexus.While they are great cars,they are money pits as they age.Remember you can always get another one when the finances improve
Old 07-12-08, 02:45 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

you're in school/going to be in school. you need something reliable, that will be affordable/cheap to fix if necessary. getting rid of the lexus, while sad and hard to do, will allow you to do that, and hopefully concentrate on school in order to get a job/career and get closer to your dream car. and over time, who knows, your dream car my change.
Old 07-13-08, 09:47 AM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uncle_el
you're in school/going to be in school. you need something reliable, that will be affordable/cheap to fix if necessary. getting rid of the lexus, while sad and hard to do, will allow you to do that, and hopefully concentrate on school in order to get a job/career and get closer to your dream car. and over time, who knows, your dream car my change.
While my dream car might change, but I will always have a spot for the UCF10 in my heart. Someday, I will own another, I have already promised myself that.

And yes, this is the same thinking that I have had. I can't stand driving "beaters" or just cheap transportation, but the Crown Vic is actually VERY affordable for a student such as myself. And it's good-looking, solid, reliable, and gets lots of attention. Pretty fast too, and if I'm not hard on the pedal, gas mileage is not that big of an issue.

It's going to be sad, but my high-school days of making money and immediately blowing it on the Lexus is over. I don't have the time or money to be tinkering with the LS anymore, so I have to convince myself to get rid of her.
Old 07-13-08, 10:06 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

If you sell the Lexus, I am interested in your wheels
Old 07-13-08, 11:57 AM
volksnuts
Driver School Candidate

this is the car I sold 3 weeks ago to buy my Lexus

I really like both cars.... there are both very different.... I like the how refined and quite the LS is over the Vic.... but the Vic has a different presence when driving down the road (everyone thinks you are a cop!).... I miss the Vic only b/c it was newer and didn't have a mark on it (the LS is a little beat up and just generally older) I sold it because I was tired of making payments on it (paid cash for the LS) so that made my decision easy (plus we are picking up our new Magnum SRT8 on Tuesday)

Go with the car that is in better condition... you can always buy another LS later

I would be interested in the wheels also if you sell