LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

altenator help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 08:59 PM
melissac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default altenator help

i think i am having altenator problems. First all the dash lights came on then the car died on me. Got a jump and car ran fine for about an hour, then it all happened again. Had to replace the power steering about three months ago because of a leak. altenator is covered in ps fluid and i hear its a really bad thing for that to happen. can someone give me any advise. i am little scared because of all of the problems that i hear of after the replacement of the alternator in these cars. anyone have any good stories about altenator replacement. Please hellppp!!!!
Old 07-03-08, 09:18 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by melissac
i think i am having altenator problems. First all the dash lights came on then the car died on me. Got a jump and car ran fine for about an hour, then it all happened again. Had to replace the power steering about three months ago because of a leak. altenator is covered in ps fluid and i hear its a really bad thing for that to happen. can someone give me any advise. i am little scared because of all of the problems that i hear of after the replacement of the alternator in these cars. anyone have any good stories about altenator replacement. Please hellppp!!!!
I haven't heard any bad things happening after replacing the alternator. I have suffered the same exact thing you have described above. After replacing my alternator I have not had any problems. I tried replacing the brushes in the alternator before chucking it out but I was not satisfied with it. I ended up just replacing it with an after market one. I am happy with the results and she is back on the road running strong. Keep us posted.
Old 07-03-08, 09:22 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sounds like ur PS is leaking...hope these links help. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/
Old 07-04-08, 03:12 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you had the power steering leak fixed and you are now changing out the alternator,, no worries. I had the same thing happen to me. PS leak into the alternator,, car died,, fixed the leak, changed the alternator and she is running strong as ever. Not had a problem since, but I think my Power steering hose is leaking now,,,sigh.
Old 07-04-08, 05:07 PM
bigste
Driver School Candidate

Your problem is probably not the pump but more likely the reservoir O ring. It's very common and a $2 fix. Stripping the alternator and cleaning it will possibly get you going again.
Old 07-07-08, 06:56 PM
melissac
Driver School Candidate

i have heard that some after market alternators are strong enough for my car and that it can really screw things up. where did you buy yours. heard bad things about autozone. do you think it would be ok to have it rebuilt or should i just buy a new one

Last edited by melissac; 07-07-08 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 07:10 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by melissac
i have heard that some after market alternators are strong enough for my car and that it can really screw things up. where did you buy yours. heard bad things about autozone. do you think it would be ok to have it rebuilt or should i just buy a new one
Stick with OEM reman or a Denso reman. Some non-OEM sourced ones are OK - I have a AC Delco reman that's working great.
Old 07-07-08, 07:16 PM
melissac
Driver School Candidate

my husband just told me that autozone checked it out and they say it passes the test. but the man at autozone says that their machine only tests for a certain amount of voltage and if my car requires more than that then it still could be the problem.
Old 07-07-08, 07:52 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on what I have been reading on yor situation,, the fact that you have told us that you alternator was covered in Power steering fluid, and with the symptoms you described,, you alternator is not dead YET, but is quickly declining. Best to just go ahead and replace it.
OEM or Denso remanufactured alternators are fine to use. I have a reman Denso in my 92, replaced it a little over a year ago along with a battery ,which was beyond dead, have not had a problem since.
Old 07-15-08, 08:41 PM
melissac
Driver School Candidate

it was in fact the alternator all the brushes were burned up. had it fixed and the car runs like new again. thanks for the help
Old 07-16-08, 06:31 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure you dont have any more PS fluid dripping on it.
Old 07-16-08, 09:14 AM
runumhard
Driver

what if your brake light starts to turn on? is that a sign of weak alternator
Old 07-16-08, 10:52 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

probably more like your brake fluid is low. which means you probably need brake pads.
Old 07-16-08, 01:37 PM
runumhard
Driver

Originally Posted by 19psi
probably more like your brake fluid is low. which means you probably need brake pads.
oh ok thanks man......
Old 07-18-08, 07:12 PM
melissac
Driver School Candidate

we had already fixed the ps leak a few months back.

Quick Reply: altenator help