LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster fix for 91' ls400

Old 03-04-08, 12:22 PM
elam77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster fix for 91' ls400

After researching the net to fix my broken instrument cluster, which consisted of a faulty speedometer and tachometer as well as the needle lights dimming out. I found a solution that only cost a few dollars. The problem is the electrolytic capacitors need to be replaced. If your impatient just replace them all, but later I will try to determine which ones it was exactly that caused the problem. There are 4 circuit boards that make up the cluster two small ones under the large one which has the bulbs connected to it and a medium one that is on the back of the large board which has a protective metal shield on it. I first replaced the ones on the small boards first that where connected directly behind the gauges then I worked my way back replacing all of the medium sized ones, i didn't mess with the large ones. but before I finished my two year old daughter knocked my cluster off the kitchen table on to the floor breaking my tachometer. Oh well, but just to see if i was right I hooked it back up and the speedometer worked like a charm and all of the lights were brighter. Some people say it's the speedsensor but that isnt consistent with the fact that just about every 91's cluster eventually fails along with the climate control lcd. So if you have the time and a good soldering iron and know how to solder than you can easily fix this. But be warned the cluster is very delicate especially the needles. And make sure you keep in mind the polarity of the capacitor, the boards as well as the capacitors both have a negative symbol cleary indicated make sure you pay attention to that small but huge detail it's important.

I don't have any pics right now, but i will eventually try to get some up. As well as the exact location of the electrolytic capacitors. But if you don't know what a electrolytic capacitor looks like this fix probably isn't for you. I attached a pic of what they look like.
Sorry if this isn't enough instruction.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-08, 05:25 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Elam -- I anticipate you might get reply's along the line of.. "Umm, we have a huge sticky with this information already." -

So yes, we have figured this out.

However!

While that sticky with all that information is great,.. it isn't complete, not by a long shot. Your description of what you've done helps, and your picture helps.

What would be a great deal of help would be pictures of your cluster, and close up pictures of each capacitor that you replaced, perhaps off and on the board.

Even better would be this capacitor in this picture, is for X light/gauge, etc.

Also it would be fantastic if a little guide on soldering the capacitors was made with pictures. Basically a how to, with all caps listed, their ratings and where to get them. With some pictures of the work being done, close up and descriptions of what is being done.

I will do this myself, I'm big on making how to's -- But I don't have enough information right now to feel confident in pulling my cluster out and going to town.

There are problems that can be fixed this way, and some that cannot.

For many people just replacing some cap's will solve all their current problems. For others, the needles need replaced, or fixed in some manner. (Some people offer this service).

Soldering capacitors on the board isn't that hard, it just requires a little knowledge of how careful to be, and how *not* to screw the traces up.. solder over traces.. break circuits and so forth.

I'm not insinuating an A to Z on electronics, but I think alot of people would be very much inclined to give this a shot if they had some better instruction.

This same 'fix' is offered by a few people for around 200$ for the entire cluster.. regardless of how many problems exist. So it is great for those with really bad clusters, and not so great for people like myself with just a Gas/Fuel gauge that is slow to respond but everything else works like new.

Bottom line, thanks for your information -- and sorry to hear your cluster was busted by your daughter.
Old 09-15-12, 02:38 PM
usmcninja
Driver School Candidate

This is awesome guys, if you guys have anymore info please post, my 91 fuel gauge is not working at all
Old 10-15-12, 04:49 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

I can fix any issue with the LS400 gauge clusters.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 10-15-12, 11:57 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. My tach and speedometer stick. I have to constantly give the top of the dash a wack.... I also want to change my needles to blue... How do I fix this Broski?
Old 10-16-12, 03:09 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He was offering his repair service.
As far as getting them to unstick, it involves pulling the cluster and installing pins so that the needles can never reach their resting point.
Old 10-16-12, 05:14 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

be cheaper to find one at a junk yard. just have to swap over odometer.
Old 10-22-12, 09:11 AM
usmcninja
Driver School Candidate

Default 90-92 LS400 cluster

Hi guys,
Has anyone had the picture of the exact location of the cap? I replaced a few caps but the fuel gauge and the speedo still not work. Need some help thanks in advance
Old 10-22-12, 09:13 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

There are no caps. The speedo and fuel gauge need to be replaced. At a minimum the speedo needs the pin installation.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 10-22-12, 09:15 AM
usmcninja
Driver School Candidate

Default Tanin auto

How much would you charge to fix the speedo and fuel gauge? The needle on the fuel gauge is peeling too, so it with need a quick repair as well. Please let me know and what is your warranty? Thanks so much

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
I can fix any issue with the LS400 gauge clusters.
Old 10-22-12, 09:44 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

There are no caps. The speedo and fuel gauge need to be replaced.
This erroneous statement would scare me into not using your services.
Old 10-22-12, 10:22 AM
usmcninja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
This erroneous statement would scare me into not using your services.
You're right, thought about it. He's the only one that said no caps.
Old 10-22-12, 04:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Some past threads for additional info on this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...l-93-94-a.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-problem.html
Old 10-23-12, 08:33 AM
usmcninja
Driver School Candidate

Thanks RA40, but I'm looking for the 90-92 fix the 93-94 is different. I kinda need to see a photo of what caps to replace exactly. I've replaced a few caps, but still no luck. If anyone can help..thanks in advance.

Tom

Originally Posted by RA40
Old 11-22-12, 05:10 PM
squirralie
Driver School Candidate

Maybe TaninAuto means that there are no caps for that repair, the caps might be for the illumination issues, ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster fix for 91' ls400