LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS 400 Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 11:42 AM
rs8829
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 400 Brake Problems

I have a brake problem on my 1998 LS400 and wonder if someone out there can help?

My problem is a brake pedal early contact to brake pads issue. intermittenly, when I apply the brakes for normal slowing down or stopping, the brakes pedal begins making contact with the brake pads and begins to brake near the top of the brake pedal travel. Usually the brakes begin to make contact with the brake pads approximately 2 inches down from the resting position, what happens when the brakes apply too early is the pedal begin making contact with the brake pads less than the usual 2 inches from the resting position and it catches me as a surprise because I am expecting the brakes to be activated at the usual distance of brake pedal travel.

I have taken it in to the Dealership at Lexus and left the car, but they are never able to duplicate this problem, again this happends intermittenly and it may not happend for a month or two then it will appear and its frustrating not to be able to repair this problem.

Has anybody also experience this problem in their Lexus and how did you repair this problem?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Rs8829
Old 02-12-08, 07:22 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like either a line is blocked or the booster is not releasing.
Old 02-13-08, 12:27 PM
ctscna1
Driver School Candidate

any brake service done before?
1-check the brake fluid to see if correct level-(too much fluid will result self-apply once the brake fluid got hot enough)
2-maybe the master cylinder push rod was out of spec-need adjustment
3-brake pedal height maybe out of spec-need adjustment
Old 02-13-08, 03:30 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If they can't reproduce it at the dealership I would be inclined to think the brake pedal height is ok. But is definitely worth checking for spec.

If I had to guess the brake booster is acting up, and is giving you the intermittent problems. This could be solved with fluid flushing/bleeding and general service. However, it could also require a new part all together.

I wish I knew the proper spec to tell you on brake pedal travel, but I'm sure someone can let you know, or you can find it online somewhere. Then you can check to see if the pedal is in specification and move from there.

*Just remember it is a pure hydraulic system, so think in terms of that function*
Old 02-15-08, 01:45 PM
rs8829
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Neofate
If they can't reproduce it at the dealership I would be inclined to think the brake pedal height is ok. But is definitely worth checking for spec.

If I had to guess the brake booster is acting up, and is giving you the intermittent problems. This could be solved with fluid flushing/bleeding and general service. However, it could also require a new part all together.

I wish I knew the proper spec to tell you on brake pedal travel, but I'm sure someone can let you know, or you can find it online somewhere. Then you can check to see if the pedal is in specification and move from there.

*Just remember it is a pure hydraulic system, so think in terms of that function*

Thanks for all your reply. I shall check into your suggestions

rs8829
Old 02-15-08, 10:14 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually it is not a pure hydraulic system which is why it has a brake booster to amplify the pressure from the pedal using vac from the engine.