LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help Cluster Is Blacked Out

Old 01-01-08, 01:03 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help Cluster Is Blacked Out

Hey I'm having some problems with my 93 cluster when I start up the car in the cold, NOTHING works

like sometimes I dont even know how much gas I have in the car, and honestly, that is the most important thing to me.
like I would drive and not know how much gas until E. it sucks because I have to spend a LOT of money on gas just to be sure I have a good bit of gas. the tachometer and speedometer needles work but have no light. and the gas needle doesnt move period until it is lit up.

the cluster flickers for about 2-3 mins then finally comes on. so it takes about 45 mins for the cluster to finally cut on after putting the heat on the front windshield. it seems like that speeds up the process a bit i guess it warms up the cluster.

Hey I also wanted to know if anyone else had this problem, does anyone else start up the car with less gas than they leave it?
for example, in the summer when the cluster worked with no problem, I left the car with half a tank, parked it. and the next morning I start it up, it would be at quarter, okay, its gonna rise because the car just started... it would only rise to halfway between half tank and quarter tank.

It would feel like someone is sucking gas out of the car at night. but I know it isnt happening.

now that this cluster problem has arise its even harder to determine how much gas I have in the car.

does anyone have any problems like this, or even a quick fix?
Old 01-01-08, 01:15 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

common problem for the LS,, before anyone jumps on you to search for the answer,, you are probably going thru this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/40025-instrument-cluster-circuit-board-is-bad-1000-bucks.html
Old 01-01-08, 07:34 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosi718
Hey I'm having some problems with my 93 cluster when I start up the car in the cold, NOTHING works

like sometimes I dont even know how much gas I have in the car, and honestly, that is the most important thing to me.
like I would drive and not know how much gas until E. it sucks because I have to spend a LOT of money on gas just to be sure I have a good bit of gas. the tachometer and speedometer needles work but have no light. and the gas needle doesnt move period until it is lit up.

the cluster flickers for about 2-3 mins then finally comes on. so it takes about 45 mins for the cluster to finally cut on after putting the heat on the front windshield. it seems like that speeds up the process a bit i guess it warms up the cluster.

Hey I also wanted to know if anyone else had this problem, does anyone else start up the car with less gas than they leave it?
for example, in the summer when the cluster worked with no problem, I left the car with half a tank, parked it. and the next morning I start it up, it would be at quarter, okay, its gonna rise because the car just started... it would only rise to halfway between half tank and quarter tank.

It would feel like someone is sucking gas out of the car at night. but I know it isnt happening.

now that this cluster problem has arise its even harder to determine how much gas I have in the car.

does anyone have any problems like this, or even a quick fix?
Have the same trouble with my 94 when cold the dash is out all together, My gas gauge never works, and the top of the speedo needle is always out too even when the dash IS lit up. But never really found it to be a big deal. My car has 183,000 on it... still runs great.

I am not sure how you are spending MORE $$ for gas... The gauge being out does not make it use more gas.. Just means you top off more often.. meaning you spend less each fillup, but more often.. if the gauge worked and you be waiting longer, then you would spend more each fillup.. but less often. BTW I have been useing 89 gas and have had no issues at all.. no pinging, or knocking.

BTW the Trip and Odometer DO NOT count the miles when the dash is off so don't use them as a basis to get gas.... BUT the idiot light under the gas gauge seems to work even though my gas gauge is broken, but it does not light up if the dash is out.

The car has a 22.5 gal tank... so even if you take the 18MPG city you should get 405 miles on a tank... My personal experience is that the gas light comes on about 300-330 miles... But was driving all city as a delivery driver at the time... aggressive driving too.. I have a lead foot

Now that winter is here.. I cant use the trip counter to check the mileage since my dash is out most of the way to and from work.... so will have to wait till summer to see what my average is now. I am going on a trip next weekend.. I am very curious to see the mileage on a all hwy trip.

There are plenty of links here on the forum about fixing the dash.. last time I checked it could be done for about $200 -300 shipped both ways by Mr. Whizard with a 2 year warranty... OR you can spend over $1000 for a new one from Lexus that will fail again when it gets older. Here is the link to the repair place..

http://www.mrwhizard.com/index.cfm

And a link to the Lexus discussion about this problem, Mr. Whizard is on page 9 of the thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40025

Ken
Old 01-01-08, 07:40 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if u know how to solder its easy to change urself, my uncle helped me change 4 capacitors and everything was like new.