LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2nd gen power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 09:00 AM
Sanpete
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen power steering leak

I've read much here about the power steering issue with the 90-94 LS. I'm looking into a 95 that the owner has already told me has a ps leak. Do the same things apply? Is the same valve on the 2nd gen, and is the leaking still likely to rain on the alternator and ruin it too?

The owner told me the seat warmers don't work as well as they used to, which makes me wonder if the alternator is already going down.

I figure it's at least a few hundred dollars to fix in any case, if anything needs replacing.

The car has 127K miles on it. Haven't seen it yet. Am deciding if it's worth seeing.

Last edited by Sanpete; 10-11-07 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-11-07, 10:50 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the seat warmers not working has anything to do with the alternator. Every car I've seen usually has their seat warmers go out after a while.

I think they got rid of that valve in the 95, but I'm not sure. Someone else will chime in soon.
Old 10-11-07, 10:56 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order for the seat heaters to work, the temperature has to be below 77°F. It wouldn't be the alternator if they aren't working either- more likely the switch or heating element for the seat heater that isn't working.

1995-1997 models still have the idle-up valve, but that results in your engine eating fluid rather than the fluid just leaking out. The pump is in the same location as it is in the earlier models, so be sure to repair or replace the pump before it kills the alternator.
Old 10-11-07, 11:22 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I recall the power steering pump was much less expensive to replace/repair versus the high pressure hose. The hose was very expensive. Either way, unless you do it yourself you are looking at more than a few hundred bucks to fix it. Obviously it is a good investment if the car is in good shape otherwise. It will kill the alternator if it leaks long enough.
Old 10-11-07, 12:36 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Thanks for the responses.

The seat warmers still work, according to the owner, just not as well. As I understand it, they draw quite a bit of current, so if the alternator isn't up to snuff, the warmers work but not as well. Good to know about the 77-degree limit.

Owner says a ps hose is the source of the leak. Seems that endangers the alternator, according to your comments. From what I've seen here it's a few hundred for the part alone for the high-pressure hose, but I suppose it could be a different hose.

It's hard to tell from reading the threads here how much less expensive maintenance and repairs are for a first-gen LS with 235,000 miles than for a 1995 with 130K. Since the board tends to focus on problems that come up, it seems there's nothing but problems. There was a thread on how much people spend on maintenance that was jaw-dropping, especially since the car is so reliable. But I suppose there must be some for whom their older LS is fairly cheap to maintain. I've also been checking out old Acura RLs, which are harder to find, and are no doubt also expensive to keep up, despite being so reliable. Not sure I can afford such a reliable car! But I would like the quiet ride.
Old 10-11-07, 12:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanpete

The seat warmers still work, according to the owner, just not as well. As I understand it, they draw quite a bit of current, so if the alternator isn't up to snuff, the warmers work but not as well. Good to know about the 77-degree limit.

Owner says a ps hose is the source of the leak. Seems that endangers the alternator, according to your comments. From what I've seen here it's a few hundred for the part alone for the high-pressure hose, but I suppose it could be a different hose.

It's hard to tell from reading the threads here how much less expensive maintenance and repairs are for a first-gen LS with 235,000 miles than for a 1995 with 130K. Since the board tends to focus on problems that come up, it seems there's nothing but problems. There was a thread on how much people spend on maintenance that was jaw-dropping, especially since the car is so reliable. But I suppose there must be some for whom their older LS is fairly cheap to maintain. I've also been checking out old Acura RLs, which are harder to find, and are no doubt also expensive to keep up, despite being so reliable. Not sure I can afford such a reliable car! But I would like the quiet ride.
the high pressure hose is a decent bit of money, i paid like $250 or so for mine from carson
Old 10-11-07, 03:31 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

I'm sorry to jack this thread, but I have a question.. I have a 92 LS and I am looking for the part number 17630-16040, the air control valve. When I search it in most (well, so far all) toyota/lexus databases, it doest look like it is made more the year I have, it mainly shows 98+...is this part going to work in mine? Thanks, and sorry stanpete
Old 10-11-07, 03:52 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

If anything, maintenance will be less for a 2nd gen than for a 1st gen, since the electrics are a bit less finicky and also since everything on the car hasn't aged as much. With that many fewer miles than the 1st gen car, repairs should be cheaper, but this is not an apples to apples comparison by any means.
Old 10-11-07, 05:45 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Ian, all the sources I've seen here give the part number you have for 1990 on.

Originally Posted by sonyman
If anything, maintenance will be less for a 2nd gen than for a 1st gen, since the electrics are a bit less finicky and also since everything on the car hasn't aged as much. With that many fewer miles than the 1st gen car, repairs should be cheaper, but this is not an apples to apples comparison by any means.
I said the opposite of what I meant: It's hard to tell from reading the threads here how much *more* expensive maintenance and repairs are for a first-gen LS with 235,000 miles than for a 1995 with 130K. Of course we'd expect the 95 to be cheaper to maintain, but the impressive I get here is that every model with over 100K miles requires loads of maintenance. But that's probably because people write mainly about the problems, not about how little they've spent on upkeep.
Old 10-11-07, 07:14 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

The suspension is the main component requiring upkeep on these cars. Everything else, for the most part, is routine maintenance.
Old 10-12-07, 07:59 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanpete

Good point(s) - as with any car, keeping fluids clean is the goal. I have a pump that I use to change PS (mobil 1 ATF SYN), Brake and Diff fluid. I also drain and fill ATF with oil changes. This may be why I have had few encounters with the mechanic on my 95. I have nearly 200,000 miles and pay the mechanic to change timing belt, etc. Everything else I do myself using the factory manuals. The RL is a nice car but I still prefer the rear wheel drive LS over it.
Old 10-12-07, 09:38 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Probably going to see a low-mileage 91 LS tomorrow. It came from an auction a few weeks ago, so I don't know much about the history. I'll check the fluids, though! I've read the thread here about changing the transmission fluid a couple quarts at a time with the oil. Might try that.

In Utah FWD is considered a plus during the winter, so the RL would be fine for that. Coming from my last car, an 87 Camry wagon, I think either car will be quite an improvement in terms of handling.