LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 Lexus LS400 - need good door speakers....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 06:00 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 1991 Lexus LS400 - need good door speakers....

I have $105 gift card for Circuit City.

I'm looking for 5 1/4" speakers for my front car doors.

They have Pioneer, Polk speakers. Do you guys have any recommendations for speakers under $100?

I've heard you want to get the right speaker to integrate into existing system so I want to get this right the first time. Everything is stock currently although I'm having a Pioneer 3900 cd player installed tomorrow.
Old 10-10-07, 08:05 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Um remember that you get what you pay for. I would use the gift card and add some money to the purchase to get some good speakers. Pioneers (depending on the system that came with your car) are pretty much the factory speakers in there now. Polk audio speakers are also good. Prety much depends on the sound quality you are looking for.

BTW,, the stock factory door size of your speakers is only 4", not 5 1/4. You will have to have them enlarge the baffle(casing) which houses the speakers in order to get them to fit, or them will have to make a new one. I am running 5/14 Alpines Type S speakers in all of my doors of my 92, but I had to enlarge the baffle opening in order to get them to fit.
Old 10-10-07, 08:20 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Trukn.

The guy at Best Buy looked it up and it said 5 1/4".

I'm not standing behind a Best Buy employee but that's what he said.

I want this to be the minimum installation cost. I thought new speakers would be a big improvement but maybe not after listening to you (especially for the $100 price point)
Old 10-10-07, 08:38 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

I had the same response from Circuit City when I bought my alpines. They told me that my speaker size was 5 1/4 and when I took the door panel off, it was only 4". Thankfully I already knew that due to the helpful members here on CL. I wanted the larger speaker anyway, so I took a dremmel tool and enlarged the opening. I think the 95 and up started to come with the 5 1/4 speakers standard. Here are some helpful links for you.....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...e+first+gen+LS

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/fspeaker.html
(This site www.lexls.com will really give you insight into your first gen)
Old 10-11-07, 06:33 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I can't believe that those big stores have incorrect info! The correct size for the front and rear door speakers is 4". The fronts are component speakers but you can bypass that and put coaxial speakers in. If you want to make your life easier just by coaxial 4" speakers and follow my tutorial on removing the door panel.
Old 10-11-07, 06:50 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by LexLS
Wow, I can't believe that those big stores have incorrect info! The correct size for the front and rear door speakers is 4". The fronts are component speakers but you can bypass that and put coaxial speakers in. If you want to make your life easier just by coaxial 4" speakers and follow my tutorial on removing the door panel.
Their database is very old and outdated. When they do update,very rarely, the older model cars kinda get consolidated with the VERY older model cars. These stores had my stock size listed as a 5.25. Thank goodness for the members here setting me straight b4 I bought anything. At least I KNEW what the correct size was and could make a decision about upgrade if I wanted to.

LexLS, is was due to your site and very helpful information, that I was/and still continue to do alot of maintenance on my own car. I, SIR, would like to thank you very much for such a very helpful site and making things seem almost elementary. Thank you!!!
Old 10-11-07, 07:00 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Their database is very old and outdated. When they do update,very rarely, the older model cars kinda get consolidated with the VERY older model cars. These stores had my stock size listed as a 5.25. Thank goodness for the members here setting me straight b4 I bought anything. At least I KNEW what the correct size was and could make a decision about upgrade if I wanted to.

LexLS, is was due to your site and very helpful information, that I was/and still continue to do alot of maintenance on my own car. I, SIR, would like to thank you very much for such a very helpful site and making things seem almost elementary. Thank you!!!
2nd!! I agree... I bookmarked the site awhile ago, and I visit the site often to figure out how to do something... thanks!
Old 10-11-07, 07:40 AM
fst4dr91
Driver School Candidate

i had installed a pair of the alpine type S in my front doors of my 91 ls400 last weekend i didn't like them the highs were scratchy on the stock nakamichi system

they didn't have the polks and the alpine type S where in stock is how i ended up with them however the price difference between the two is $10 so i special ordered two sets of the polk 401 series and we see how they sound this weekend the one stock factory speaker in the rear door sounds better than both the alpine type S in the front doors

whats this the factory system is already set up for components. maybe that my problem. how do i get a full range signal to my front door speakers ?

p.s. two kicker solo 15" subs in the trunk knock.
Old 10-11-07, 07:50 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the front stock speakers are components (separate woofer and tweeter). You can bypass this by getting a coaxial speaker (has both woofer and tweeter in one speaker). Just bypass the crossover in the speaker enclosure...unplug the brown wires hook them up to the new speaker. I would wrap the extra terminals with electrical tape so you don't get any shorting. Very simple to do this and will take less than an hour.

Thanks guys I'm glad my site has been helpful to everyone!
Old 10-11-07, 10:53 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLS
Thanks guys I'm glad my site has been helpful to everyone!
That's an understatement!
Old 10-11-07, 12:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
That's an understatement!
yea, i used LexLS as a reference til now when ive got most of it in memory
Old 10-11-07, 05:33 PM
sbguyy
Driver School Candidate

Here here!! three cheers to Lexls for his work!!