LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Absolute best door speakers? Price is not a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 11:31 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolute best door speakers? Price is not a problem...

I know what size the door speakers are...and I have searched, but all I've really found is people asked what the best speakers are for a certain price.... I dont need that.

I like music very loud.. and the speakers I have right now are cutting it. Plus one is blown.

So what have you guys found are the allaround most impressive speakers? Price really doesnt matter, Ill pay a lot for a good sounding set. Thanks!!
Old 11-08-07, 11:49 AM
kwikrnu
Driver School Candidate

I replaced the nakamachi speakers in my 1990 ls400 the other day because three were blown. I was surprised at how big the magnet structure was on those stock speakers. I'd imagine a new stock set would sound pretty good, but could also cost a lot of money. I installed some $20 each pioneer
TS-G1041R speakers and it sounds like crap, but they were cheap and little tiny magnet and magnet structure.
Old 11-08-07, 11:55 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kwikrnu
I replaced the nakamachi speakers in my 1990 ls400 the other day because three were blown. I was surprised at how big the magnet structure was on those stock speakers. I'd imagine a new stock set would sound pretty good, but could also cost a lot of money. I installed some $20 each pioneer
TS-G1041R speakers and it sounds like crap, but they were cheap and little tiny magnet and magnet structure.
My LS didn't come with nakamachi, so maybe my magnets on my speakers were smaller...

as for brands... i was thinkin about boston acoustic
Old 11-08-07, 12:36 PM
Brian Zado
Driver School Candidate

If price is not a problem I would say dont go with the factory size. You can have the factory prevision modifired to fit a 5 1/4 componet speaker and then your options go up from there. Also if you like loud music you should put an amplifier on any speakers you put in there. My personal preference is Dyne audio i love there speakers there drivers on there componets have a 3 inch voicecoil which bigger then most subs.
Old 11-08-07, 12:39 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really really expensive: Focal Utopia Be No. 7 - $$$$

Just expensive: Dynaudio Esotec - $$$
Old 11-09-07, 05:30 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in for focal as very good.
check out www.realmofexcursion.com for tons of info on audio....
Old 11-09-07, 01:54 PM
phy
Driver

If u really want to get louder and sound good the stock locations wont work. Specially since the LS came with crappy 4" speakers. Maybe u'd be a canidate for a 3-way setup. Find a shop who will do kickpanels for u. Put a midbass and tweeter in the kickpanel then a nice 6.5" or 7" driver in the doors. There are wayyyyyy too many different components to name off and if u dont really care about price some of the top of the line components can run upwards for $2-5k such as Rainbow, Brax, Alpine F1 Series, DLS, Dynaudio, The higher end Focal, Seas (really look into these), etc.... Do some search. Some great sites for this information would be

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/
and
http://www.elitecaraudio.com/forums/

Do alot of research to find whats best for u. And NEVER EVER run speakers off a headunit, always get a external amp.

OR

If u really want to get into u can run active and ur choices will become endless.
Old 11-09-07, 03:56 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you want just universally accepted good speakers that cost a lot of money I'd go with the Focal or Dynaudio. However, a great speaker in the wrong enclosure will still sound worse than an average speaker in the right enclosure. If you are just going to pop in some speakers in the stock door location, you might as well just buy some good midstream speakers like Boston Acoustics, Polk, MB Quarts and such. Why waste the money? The LS doesn't exactly have good speaker location stock, so if you are going to use that location save the money and forget the ultra high end $$ speakers.