LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Steering problem on '91 LS400 after pump was replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 02:01 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Steering problem on '91 LS400 after pump was replaced...

I just had the p/s pump and hoses replaced as well as the solenoid cleaned.

I only notice a minute difference in the steering. The leak is still there, which is probably the idle air control valve.

Jeez, the steering was tight and I had a leak, $800 later, the steering is pretty much the same and the leak is still there.

Any suggestions?

I've had the car for a few months, it looks like there was definitely some front end damage, not sure if that's the culprit.

I'm sure everybody's gonna say, get new air control valve and new rack.

I've tried out a few older Lexus's and the steering is incredible, loose just the way I like it. No resistance. That's what I want. My steering is tighter than I like. I can live with it, but it definitely takes away from the ease you should have driving a Lexus.

Is it possible that I get a new rack and my steering is STILL tight??
Old 04-26-07, 02:24 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

replace or plug the AIC valve, make sure that the system is using dexron III/Mercon ATF and NOT Power Steering Fluid.
Old 04-26-07, 07:42 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While it was good of you to address this issue with the power steering components. Try doing a little research as well,, could save a lot of money this way.
Old 04-26-07, 09:03 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trukn1
While it was good of you to address this issue with the power steering components. Try doing a little research as well,, could save a lot of money this way.
thanks for your help.
Old 04-26-07, 01:48 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Hey wasnt trying to get on ya,, just trying to help you save a little money, especially since dealerships charge soo much. Most of the time, doing an advanced search will net results in which your concern has been addressed many time before. And, as much as I hate to say it(LOL!!),, Pure Drifter is very knowledgeable about what is going on with our cars and in many cases he can steer you in the right direction as well. He can be very blunt sometimes, but take heed to some of the advice given here on the forums as well.
Old 04-26-07, 01:54 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Hey wasnt trying to get on ya,, just trying to help you save a little money, especially since dealerships charge soo much. Most of the time, doing an advanced search will net results in which your concern has been addressed many time before. And, as much as I hate to say it(LOL!!),, Pure Drifter is very knowledgeable about what is going on with our cars and in many cases he can steer you in the right direction as well. He can be very blunt sometimes, but take heed to some of the advice given here on the forums as well.
I agree. PureDrifter has a wealth of knowledge and has helped me tremendously.

I asked a question and instead of helping, you just say "do some research". Well, that kind of goes without saying. This forum is apart of my research.
Old 04-26-07, 02:01 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

I agree with that,, lots of people here will ask without doing any research at all. I did come off wrong and I apologize. IMO changing the Idle air valve should eliminate your problem since you have already addressed everything else.
Old 04-26-07, 08:26 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

I agree with that,, lots of people here will ask without doing any research at all. I did come off wrong and I apologize. IMO changing the Idle air valve should eliminate your problem since you have already addressed everything else.

Yeah, I came off wrong as well. I should have definitely changed the air control valve first. I'm sure that's what you meant by research. It's just frustrating when you spend a lot of money and don't get results.

I know changing the air control valve will solve my leak, will it help solve the tight steering problem? I really want to avoid having the rack done. I can't really afford it right now anyway.

Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
Old 04-27-07, 04:48 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any electronic controls in the steering system that could be a culprit. I know on the Q45 I had there was a sensor that when it was going bad would give tight steering and then loose steering out of no where.

How about checking all pressure lines? Do you have any apparent leaks coming from the rack itself? Are the boots on the ends busted?
Old 04-29-07, 01:08 AM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you might have used steering fluid instead of the dexron III/Mercon ATF.
I made that mistake and what's happening to you, happened to me 3 weeks ago. The steering was hard as hell and it also jacked up my p/s pump. I sucked out the p/s fluid and put in the right stuff and it took the hardness away, but my pump was jacked. I still managed to drive the car on a 900 mile trip and had no problems other than the pump making noise.
I replaced the pump and problem solved.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-07, 11:53 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
I think you might have used steering fluid instead of the dexron III/Mercon ATF.
I made that mistake and what's happening to you, happened to me 3 weeks ago. The steering was hard as hell and it also jacked up my p/s pump. I sucked out the p/s fluid and put in the right stuff and it took the hardness away, but my pump was jacked. I still managed to drive the car on a 900 mile trip and had no problems other than the pump making noise.
I replaced the pump and problem solved.

Good luck!
Thanks Celsior. I'm not sure what p/s fluid my mechanic used, but I'm sure it was the cheap stuff. I'll do a flush and put Dextron III in after I change out the air control valve.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.