LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 LS400....many minor problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 05:12 PM
Ferret
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1991 LS400....many minor problems

Hello, Group..
New (used) Lexus owner here...plenty of experience in maintenance and repair of *normal* vehicles; but (as I'm finding out)...a Lexus isn't normal!

First question:
The AC doesn't work...I'm getting a 21 and 34 code; but to get any further, I have to pull the AC cluster.
HOW DOES THE BLEEDIN' THING COME OUT? (No screws *anywhere*, and I'm not about to start merrily shoving screwdrivers into cracks...* *)
I have the Mitchell subscription...and it *sux* for anything simple like Removal and Installation.

Second Question:
My Power antenna appears to be broken (it "sort-of" extends and retracts)...Where can I get that unit (besides Lexus, of course... )

Third Question:
I need that auto-dimming rear-view mirror...any ideas?

Also...if anyone knows where to get a Real Paper Service Manual (for less cost than it's weight in Lexus Emblems)...that would be great, too!

Thanks in advance!

Ferret
Old 03-17-07, 02:56 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Try ebay first. You can get ac parts as well as a power antenna.

If you can't find anything there, try craigs list and then try some online company. That's how I found a power steering pump. I did a search for 1991 Lexus LS400 p/s pump. Found A1 Cardone pump for sale. Was also listing on ebay.
Old 03-31-07, 11:57 AM
MCHolyG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to get the a/c controls out, first remove the wood trim surrounding the shift. i lift at the rear and pull back. then i remove the ashtray. then the center vents. they pull straight out. tip the vents to blow up, then with palms up, put your fingers in and pull the whole thing forward. the vents are held by friction to the two ducts that feed the vents. (don't mangle the plastic ducts on the replacement phase or they won't slip in an' out easy) then the radio and a/c come out together. should be 4 screws holding the radio/a/c ***'y. sorry i dont know what the codes mean, but that's how to get it out.

meanwhile, i bought a replacement mast from ebay and it was simple to do. get all the old one out, may mean doing some surgery on the motor assy itself to get all of the old white cable. sometimes they break and a piece stays in the winding part of the motor. be careful, but you can take it apart, get it out, put it back together and reinstall in the car body, THEN turn on the radio, feed the replacement mast into the hole, and turn it off. it should pull the whole thing in an you're done.

look for the mirror on ebay. also there's a place in norcross, ga that does lexus salvage. decent guys. "sports n imports"