LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The First Gen Power Steering Bible

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 05:42 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Just a FYI the above post by Steph is dated Oct of 2007
Old 06-01-19, 09:25 PM
Viclow19
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2000 Ls

Well I went through the Bible I did have the intermittent problems with the steering where it only turned softly while accelerating or holding down the gas when you were at idle it was rock hard. I did not have the solenoid on the steering rack like some of you guys mentioned on here. I did however clean the reservoir screen and then I did the flush and bled it and everything was all good steering is normal thank God.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (07-12-21)
Old 07-10-21, 09:00 AM
RioBravo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power steering 1999 LS400

Thank you for posting Power Steering Bible. I am a new member of this group. My power steering just stopped working yesterday. Has been making the whining sounds for a while, I kept checking PS fluid, always seemed OK. I am now forced to do something since the car is no longer drivable. For those who have been around longer I have a question: The engine starts OK, but 2 strange things happened. The Battery indicator is Red and the AC button is blinking. My concern is the Alternator. Anybody have a clue? I had a new alternator put in about 6 years ago by the dealer at about $1000 cost. Hoping it is not that AND the power steering at the same time. I love driving this LS400. I have about 238K miles on it. It still looks and drive great (except right now) Finally, does anybody know a mechanic in the Bakersfield CA area that is skilled with these cars? I would prefer not to go back to the dealer as they are very pricey and seem to take a long time. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-10-21, 06:23 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Have you checked the condition of the serpentine belt?
The failing power steering pump must be a big load for the engine. I worry that the belt is slipping or damaged. I can't to say more without watching under the hood of your car, I only imagine that both the alternator and the AC compressor are not driven well enough.
BNastee (01-11-22)
Old 07-10-21, 10:17 PM
RioBravo
6th Gear

Default LS400 Power Steering failure

Originally Posted by Yamae
Have you checked the condition of the serpentine belt?
The failing power steering pump must be a big load for the engine. I worry that the belt is slipping or damaged. I can't to say more without watching under the hood of your car, I only imagine that both the alternator and the AC compressor are not driven well enough.
Yamae, thank you for this suggestion. I did not consider this yet, but it should have been an obvious first look. It struck me as odd that the Power Steering stopped working AND the AC started acting strange. I have always been able to troubleshoot the problems of other people better than my own. Too close! Again thank you.
Old 07-11-21, 09:44 AM
Michael
Driver

Default Alternator Failure, Frequent

Originally Posted by RioBravo
My concern is the Alternator. Anybody have a clue? I had a new alternator put in about 6 years ago by the dealer at about $1000 cost. Hoping it is not that AND the power steering at the same time.
Alternator may be failing because of your PS fluid leak. Location of alternator is right below the PS pump. Monitor where the PS fluid leak is and if it in the general area of PS pump, that may be the reason.
Old 07-11-21, 01:56 PM
RioBravo
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Michael
Alternator may be failing because of your PS fluid leak. Location of alternator is right below the PS pump. Monitor where the PS fluid leak is and if it in the general area of PS pump, that may be the reason.
Thanks Michael. I appreciate your reply
Old 07-11-21, 02:45 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

many years ago my PS leaked on my Alt, and I had to replace it and when I did we cut a purex bottle up and made a shield for the Alt. (see photos) this was in 2010, and now eleven years later, no problems.. sure hope this helps someone...

Last edited by billydpowe; 07-11-21 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-11-21, 08:18 PM
RioBravo
6th Gear

Originally Posted by billydpowe
many years ago my PS leaked on my Alt, and I had to replace it and when I did we cut a purex bottle up and made a shield for the Alt. (see photos) this was in 2010, and now eleven years later, no problems.. sure hope this helps someone...

Billydpowell, that is a very clever idea. Makes me wonder why Lexus /Toyota didn't think of it. Perhaps because they make more money selling replacement parts? Thank you for sharing this. My only question is does the shield block the cooling? I live in a very hot climate 4-5 months per year. Today is 112 degrees and tomorrow expected warmer. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 01-09-22, 06:17 AM
96DWPLS400
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone have a link to tips and tricks for installing a new pressure line. Having difficulty getting it clocked correctly to connect at the rack while still being able to connect the union on the front side of the frame member. I have the line in position, the brackets around the oil pan loosely connected (to hold it in position), the union just connected not even finger tight and I cannot turn the connection at the rack enough for the "horn" (sure that's not the right word) to fall into place to tighten the bolt and get it to set. Thinking maybe a different order of connecting things might be in order??
BNastee (08-18-22)
Old 08-15-22, 04:23 PM
sigtwenty
10th Gear

im going to check on this, but i have great power steering unless im not moving. if im not moving, steering is like non existient, but when im driving around no problem at all and at low speeds say in a parking lot its intermittent. i have a feeling its something electronic connected to speed because increasing rpms in park does not make any difference at all.
Old 08-16-22, 02:46 PM
sigtwenty
10th Gear

im going to do the cleaning stuff mentioned in this thread.
i found a used ECU for $30, im going to for the hell of it swap it first and see if anything changes to see if my orginal theory is correct, however im just gonna do all the stuff mentioned here for genereal servicing anyways.

with that said, im going to document what i find, and my current symptoms and findings.

Las Vegas. 3-4pm. outside temp 100. car was driving and running. i charged AC so under hood was well warmed up.
in park, steering wheel extremely stiff, no power assist. raised RPMs, no changes.
3am. 84F outside. car power steering was stiff but intermittently stiff, drove the car to gas station, filled it up, drove home, 4 miles total. Steering was normal entire time.
I arrive home, go to maneuver the car into my 1 car garage in a fiirly tight space, no PS at all unless it was moving just a hair over idle.
next day, 12 noon 93F outside. started the car, had normal power steering at idle for a moment, but then got a bit stiff after it was running for 5 minutes while i swapped cars (garage to parking spaces). by the time i was done, PS got choppy/stiff at idle/park

seems there is something with it being warmed up as when its warmed up it goes dead, but when cold/sitting it works until then, and also needing actual speed detected not RPM based. I posted outside temps but i dont think outside temps have any issues with it.

when i clean screens and such ill take pics of condition for the heck of it and add to this bible for reference to others.
Old 08-18-22, 07:40 AM
BNastee
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've replaced a couple of those hoses and have found its worth it to drop the rack so you can get to the connection easily. Only four bolts to drop it an inch or so.