LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Front Caliper Speed Bleeders

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 07:18 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS400 Front Caliper Speed Bleeders

Looking to pick up a set of speed bleeders for my front LS400 brakes. Anyone know what fits? 10mm 1.0 pitch? 7mm? Anyone? Bueller...bueller?

All the websites list a few different Toyota part numbers but nothing for Lexus...
Old 10-02-06, 08:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

when u bleed the brakes ul be bleeding them from the brake master cylinder, which unless u changed it, would be the stock one on your SC3.
Old 10-03-06, 04:31 AM
High PSI
Advanced

How do I bleed the air out of my brake lines at the master cylinder?
Old 10-03-06, 06:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

sorry, not the master cylinder but the brake fluid reservoir.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/bleeding.html
Old 10-03-06, 01:29 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Ok...I don't think you've bled brakes before....

Re-read those instructions, and look at this picture here:

See the thing that vinyl tube is connected to? That's a bleeder valve. This is where you bleed the fluid from. See how it's IN the caliper? This is why I'm asking what bleeder I need for an LS400 caliper...it could very well be different than a factory SC300 bleeder valve.

The "speed bleeder" I'm looking for is a special part that allows a single person to bleed the brakes on their own. Instead of having to have someone open and close the bleeder valve as you pump the brakes, speed bleeder valves have a spring loaded bearing inside that will close automatically when the pressure is released, like this:

Old 10-03-06, 02:13 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^That's some cool ****...Where can I get this at?
Old 10-03-06, 02:57 PM
sami
Driver School Candidate

HIGHPSI,

did you ever blled the brakes on your DSM?
If you did then the Lex is the same thing
PS as far as speed bleeder, it should be SB7100
Old 10-03-06, 03:06 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by NewLSlover
^That's some cool ****...Where can I get this at?
Summit Racing sells them for $10 a pair. They have "free shipping", but they have a B.S. $7 "handling" fee on every order....so it's best if you order some other crap with the bleeders to make it worth it.
Old 10-03-06, 03:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by High PSI
Ok...I don't think you've bled brakes before....

Re-read those instructions, and look at this picture here:

See the thing that vinyl tube is connected to? That's a bleeder valve. This is where you bleed the fluid from. See how it's IN the caliper? This is why I'm asking what bleeder I need for an LS400 caliper...it could very well be different than a factory SC300 bleeder valve.

The "speed bleeder" I'm looking for is a special part that allows a single person to bleed the brakes on their own. Instead of having to have someone open and close the bleeder valve as you pump the brakes, speed bleeder valves have a spring loaded bearing inside that will close automatically when the pressure is released, like this:

the ones u show in the pic dont actually attach to the caliper, they attach to a piece of vinyl tubing between the caliper and the bucket ur draining into.

also, a conventional "1-person bleeder" works by basically pressuring the brake reservoir so that u an just open the valve, let the fluid get pushed out, and close the valve. NOT automatically opening and closing both valves while u push the brakes from inside the car. if it worked that way how would you know when the fluid turned clear??
(like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4618071463)

the one your talking about (speed bleeders tm) is a bit impractical since u cant actually see when u start pumping clear fluid and every X-pumps youl have to go and refill the reservoir. oh, and if i remember right the LS brakes dont have threads, they have a nipple for vinyl tubing.
Old 10-03-06, 03:14 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by sami
HIGHPSI,

did you ever blled the brakes on your DSM?
If you did then the Lex is the same thing
PS as far as speed bleeder, it should be SB7100
Wtf? Is everyone having a problem reading my post, or am I on a different planet here??

I wasn't asking how to bleed the brakes...I know how to bleed brakes. I've done it a million times before. On my DSM, on my Camaro, on my Subaru, on my Bike, on my Volvo, on my Accord, on my Faimont, on my dad's Chevelle when I was 7...

In fact, I thought I illustrated that pretty well in the post above where I tried to explain to PureDrifter how brakes are bled.

Allll I needed to know is what speed bleeder the LS400 calipers took, which it seems you gave me. SB7100...which I'm guessing is 7mm, 1.0 pitch. Thank you.

By the way, how have you confirmed this?
Old 10-03-06, 03:15 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

High all you need to do is have the tube that's over the nipple going into a jar with some brake fluid in the bottom of the jar with the end of the hose below the top level of the fluid , then you can pump away til your hearts content , then just lock the nipple up .
It stops the hose drawing air in as it's below the fluid level so it just draws fluid in .
As a note I just replaced my front hoses and used a syringe to draw the fluid through initially and then a tube with the end under the fluid....too easy !!
Old 10-03-06, 03:17 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Hell yea, for 28$ it's worth a shot! That would kick *** to be able to bleed them without a "pumper" present...niceeeee, Thanks High PSI!
Old 10-03-06, 03:26 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the ones u show in the pic dont actually attach to the caliper, they attach to a piece of vinyl tubing between the caliper and the bucket ur draining into.

also, a conventional "1-person bleeder" works by basically pressuring the brake reservoir so that u an just open the valve, let the fluid get pushed out, and close the valve. NOT automatically opening and closing both valves while u push the brakes from inside the car. if it worked that way how would you know when the fluid turned clear??
(like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4618071463)

the one your talking about (speed bleeders tm) is a bit impractical since u cant actually see when u start pumping clear fluid and every X-pumps youl have to go and refill the reservoir. oh, and if i remember right the LS brakes dont have threads, they have a nipple for vinyl tubing.
Ok, you don't get it. I have these things in my Camaro and in my Eclipse. I know how they work. Let me explain this one more time....

That "nipple" you are talking about is called a "BLEEDER VALVE". You UNSCREW the OEM bleeder valve out of the caliper. You then SCREW IN the "SPEED BLEEDER" INTO THE CALIPER.

THIS IS WHY THE SPEED BLEEDER IS CALIPER DEPENDENT.

You slightly unscrew the valve, pump the brakes three times, then fill up the reservior, and repeat. When you get out of the car to fill the reservoir up, you can look at the brake line to see what color it is. The whole point is that you can bleed the brakes with one person, and it's WAY faster than having to wait for your buddy at the caliper to rescrew the bleeder valve before you can let off the caliper, get out, and fill up the reservoir. Trust me, I've done it both ways, speed bleeders are WAY quicker.
Old 10-03-06, 03:32 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by richonenz
High all you need to do is have the tube that's over the nipple going into a jar with some brake fluid in the bottom of the jar with the end of the hose below the top level of the fluid , then you can pump away til your hearts content , then just lock the nipple up .
It stops the hose drawing air in as it's below the fluid level so it just draws fluid in .
As a note I just replaced my front hoses and used a syringe to draw the fluid through initially and then a tube with the end under the fluid....too easy !!
Actually....Rich is right on. This will work too, though admittidly it's a little bit messier, and you have to make sure you have a tube that's completely clean of moisture and crap, as some of that will now be sucked at the end of each thrust.
Old 10-03-06, 09:08 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm on the same page as rich and high psi, some people just make useless comments without a clue as to what other are asking.

i was planning on getting speed bleeders too for my LS, but i was browsing around a local parts store while waiting for my rotors to get turned. i wanted to put all new bleeder valves on my calipers, but they didnt have them at that store. i found a bleeder hose with the check valve at the end of the hose, bleed all my brakes later that afternoon without any helper.

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo....roductid=20900
Attached Images