LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

please help :( 313K miles good or not?

Old 09-19-06, 07:07 PM
brit brit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy please help :( 313K miles good or not?

1992 Lexus LS400 4 door, Black with tan leather, sunroof, cold AC, 6 disk rockin stereo, 313K miles- runs like a top, has never let me down-I'm second owner, changed oil every 3000 miles, first owner lived in Roanoke, worked in Richmond, thus the miles.
Front seats are torn, paint on front left corner panel failing- seat covers and paint job and you are in business. Looks good, runs GREAT.

is it worth 1,300 with that many miles?? I never had a Lexus I'm a student and looking for a good car.. please help!!!
Old 09-19-06, 07:13 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

If it's in the condition you describe it as..then, I would say yea...It's got at least another 75-100k left in it. When I think of a 1,300$ car, I think of something like a 96 Ford Taurus with 110k (on it's last leg, LoL) So when you throw an LS in the mix for that price...hmm, let's see what I'd rather have. Case closed!

Now all you have to do is find someone that knows something about LS's and sell it...or, as I told another fella on here...part it out, you'll make much more than 1300 in return. Hell you could sell just the AC compressor alone for half that, at least. Then sell the alternator & power steering pump, you're already past 1300...and that's not even on to the rest of the car parts..tail lights go for about 200, headlights the same...depending on the urgency of the buyer (ie. accident victim)'

Think about your options, man...don't just let it go like that...that's my 2cents.
Old 09-19-06, 07:23 PM
brit brit
Driver School Candidate

oh no im trying to buy it that was the ad im so sorry i should of explain it much better
Old 09-19-06, 07:43 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd have to to see pics or in person but from what they say... yes. Go for it. you could find a painted used fender (painting imho is a pain) and get clean front seats somewhere or get em redone and for about 1800 total (give or take) you gotta a clean good ls400. Just take a test drive and look at the buyer checklists from here and go from there. Miles shouldn't scare you with this car. My parent have a 92 Oldsmobile 88 royale ( yes a gm product)that they have for a spare, runs great with 316 on the clock. It was taken care of so... its your call man. Take pics and maybe we can help with your decision. but my answer is........ yes. Get it.

Edmunds.com TMV is about 1600 for private party in avg condition.

Last edited by omarg; 09-19-06 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 08:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

u failed to mention the maintainance history, something very important.
Old 09-19-06, 11:08 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

NewLSLover,

If you are paying that for a used AC Compressor, I will remove mine right now & send it to you.

A more realistic price for selling all 3 of the parts you listed used would be in the $450 range.

I do agree that at $1300 he could part it out for more money.
Old 09-20-06, 02:37 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

A NEW AC compressor costs like 1500$ from the dealer, If I'm not mistaken...So you say a little less than half that....that's a lot of money.

And damn I feel slow now for not realizing you meant you wanted to buy this LS...LoL.

300K+ shouldn't be bad at all as long as it's been kept serviced, like I said it'll last you another 75-100k easily, if you continue to take good care of it.

Just find out what commo problems have ALREADY happened to the car so you know what you may not have to deal with..ie Powering steering pump/alternator...rack & pinion, fuel pump...suspension parts (upper control arm, struts, etc.) Also, I would check to make sure you don't see ANY oil leaking underneath, this may indicate the rear main seal is going and that job costs at least 1000$ just for labor.

And damon, if you wanna rip all that stuff out your car and sell me it for that price....go right on ahead, I'll make a KILLING out of resale on craiglist!
Old 09-20-06, 08:43 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like a deal NewLS Lover, I would much rather do a pre-emptive change of my AC compressor than send compressor "black death" running thru my AC system when my existing compressor does fail. This would make it economically feasible.

To address the threads intent. If the TB has been changed within 60,000 miles then I say buy it. If not it may be somewhat of a crapshoot as to when $500 more dollars, at least will be flying out of your student pocket.

Lots of work people describe & discuss here is truthfully optional to keep the car running more like it did when new. This is not & should not be the goal on a car as cheap & with as much mileage as the one you are considering. I would only address problems that prevent the car from running & starting.
Old 09-20-06, 10:24 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

^very true...I wasn't recommended any repairs to be done..I understand it's a low price/high mileage vehicle..I was just fore warning him on the possibility of having to fix the common problems, if they haven't already been taken care of.

And the Throttle Body CHANGED? Did you mean cleaned , or physically removed and replaced? I didn't know the TB had to be replaced before 60k...
Old 09-20-06, 09:22 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, I meant the Timing Belt.
If it has not been done within 60,000 miles & I had no mechanical skills (or a good friend that did) I would consider this car carefully.

At least find the procedure here for giving the Timing Belt a visual inspection.
Old 09-21-06, 07:54 AM
sami
Driver School Candidate

I talked to brit brit and he told me that he bought it already
Lets congratulate him
Old 09-21-06, 08:52 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think even if the car only lasts a year... its worth 1300 bucks. thats barely over 100 a month plus gas and oil changes.
Old 09-21-06, 09:22 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

^Yea...basically.

Congrats on the buy, brit brit...make sure to come through and ask any questions you have, we're all here to help!
Old 09-21-06, 11:02 AM
brit brit
Driver School Candidate

lol im a girl.. sorry
Old 09-21-06, 11:04 AM
brit brit
Driver School Candidate

I also found out it's not a 92 it's a 90 are they better then the 92s?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: please help :( 313K miles good or not?