LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Purchase : 1999 LS 400

Old 07-26-06, 09:05 AM
gpgunhouse
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Purchase : 1999 LS 400

Hello

I am new to Club Lexus and would really appreciate any and all feedback. I am considering purchasing a low milage 1999 LS 400 with 43k on the odometer. The car is located in south Florida and with the exception of a small scratch on a fender appears to be in beautiful condition. The car has had two owners since new. With 43k on the clock I found this questionable at first but was told by the broker that this is quite common in south florida due to the elderly population.
Another concern is the car does not come with books. I was able to verify with the local Lexus dealer that the car has been serviced regularly (15k,25k,30k major,40K, trunk struts replaced,new battery, tires and brake pads). In addition, the carfax verified the milage and accident report. It appears dealers get rid of the books when they wholesale cars to broker/dealers (privacy issues).
Being realistic,I am estimating I could put a $1000 dollars into the car taking care of the scratch and any initial service issues. I think i can buy the car for 17K. One last point, I have only seen pictures of the car and have not had a chance to personally inspect the vehicle. The broker has agreed to provide me an out clause if I am not satisfied after picking up the car.I am asking for the collective wisdom of this group regarding your thoughts, opinions or suggestions.

Great Site!

G Gunhouse
Old 07-26-06, 11:58 AM
Alan D
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it this one on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLORI...QQcmdZViewItem

I just bought a 99 a couple of months ago and love the car. Mine has 75k miles and runs great, very little wear on the car, hard to tell it's 7 years old. Sounds like the mileage and maintenance check out so should be a good car, especially with the out clause on the purchase.
Old 07-26-06, 01:44 PM
98Ls4
Driver School Candidate

I am new to this board as well, so welcome and "hello". I thought I would share my expericence with you. I purchased a 98 LS400 with 35K miles on and it was a southern FL car as well. I too, was a bit nervous as I could not see the vehicle in person until it was brought here to Idaho. Everything was correct and I have been the proud owner now for a few months with NO issues at all. I had it checked by the dealership before I purchased and everything was great. My experience was good and I hope yours is too. I would go for it, it is one of the best cars I have ever owned. I hope this helps...
Old 07-26-06, 02:12 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gpgunhouse
Hello

I am new to Club Lexus and would really appreciate any and all feedback. I am considering purchasing a low milage 1999 LS 400 with 43k on the odometer. The car is located in south Florida and with the exception of a small scratch on a fender appears to be in beautiful condition. The car has had two owners since new. With 43k on the clock I found this questionable at first but was told by the broker that this is quite common in south florida due to the elderly population.
Another concern is the car does not come with books. I was able to verify with the local Lexus dealer that the car has been serviced regularly (15k,25k,30k major,40K, trunk struts replaced,new battery, tires and brake pads). In addition, the carfax verified the milage and accident report. It appears dealers get rid of the books when they wholesale cars to broker/dealers (privacy issues).
Being realistic,I am estimating I could put a $1000 dollars into the car taking care of the scratch and any initial service issues. I think i can buy the car for 17K. One last point, I have only seen pictures of the car and have not had a chance to personally inspect the vehicle. The broker has agreed to provide me an out clause if I am not satisfied after picking up the car.I am asking for the collective wisdom of this group regarding your thoughts, opinions or suggestions.

Great Site!

G Gunhouse

Unless the car is known to be salvaged, or flooded (or both), you really don’t have much to worry about. These cars are bulletproof.
Old 07-26-06, 05:04 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Thats not a bad deal! - That little dent may be bumped out by a good body guy that does paintless dent removal??
You may want to check out an inspection service. A third party that will inspect the car for you and take pictures. I think it will be a worth while investment. There are a ton of good low mileage LS 400 's in Florida.. (older senior citizen trade ins etc) You don't want to get burned with a salvage/flood damaged etc..

Check out this link.. They can check it out for you.

http://www.carchex.com/index.asp?sit...FRixWAodmGX_EQ

I never used them but it sounds like a small price to pay for not getting stuck with a lemon.
Old 07-27-06, 01:02 AM
georgets
Driver School Candidate

I got Carfax for a month that I just paid. PM me if you want me to run the report for you. I just got my 99 and am loving it. Totally different beast from my 99 Miata. I now drive like a old man in other Lexus....
Old 07-28-06, 10:36 AM
gpgunhouse
8th Gear

Sorry for not responding sooner I have been out of town. Thanks for all the feedback regarding my 1999 LS purchase. Alan D the car you referenced on Ebay is the actual car I ended up purchasing. I actually saw it on the Autotrader. Please check the pictures out and tell me what you think regarding overall condition. As mentioned in my original email, I spoke with the local Lexus dealership and it was their opinion that the car had an excellent service history ( 25k, 30K,35k, 40K , new tires, battery,trunk struts, brake pads).
Is there any model year/ recall/service issues I should be aware of prior to picking up the car. I will probably have an initial inspection done on the car. I have been driving Mercedes for the past 20 years and have always admired the LS 400 and it's reputation for reliability.

Thanks

Gerard
Old 07-28-06, 10:46 AM
gpgunhouse
8th Gear

I have another question, based on the pictures the LS 400 appears to have had the gold trim package. How difficult would it be to convert it back to the chrome trim package. I thinking it should be fairly strait forward. Are there recommended after market dealers selling factory or OEM parts

Thanks again

Gerard
Old 07-28-06, 10:53 AM
gpgunhouse
8th Gear

Ok Ok .... I promise this is the last question for at least an hour or so. The broker provided a carfax report which checked out clean regarding milage, service and damage/flooding. Are these reports fairly reliable? What would one look for in terms of flood/water damage.

Thanks

G
Old 07-28-06, 11:10 AM
Alan D
Driver

Looks good from the pictures but seeing it in person will enable you to pick out any scratches, stains, wear marks, etc. My 99 is very similar, silver w/ gray interior, only things I see different are that mine has heated seats, don't need that in Texas, and the Nak stereo.

If you pay someone to check it out that will give you good piece of mind. With the dealer service being done and the carfax checking out it will be a good car. I think carfax is good but will of course have limitations. They pickup the mileage from inspections and registration. They will get wrecks from insurance companies and body shops if they are reported.

Signs of flood would be mildew smell or stains and mildew in the carpet. If you are paying to have it inspected, make sure they look for that too.

Enjoy the car, I'm loving mine.
Old 07-28-06, 11:33 AM
gpgunhouse
8th Gear

Thanks Alan I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I will have an inspection done which I am expecting to come out clean. In lieu of the service records, I spoke with the local Lexus service department. The service manager was very helpful and said the car had a strong service history at their facility (consistent oil changes and the majors all done on time). It appears this car has been serviced at two lexus dealerships. Is it possible copies of the service records. Would I have to call each dealer or is this info kept in a master database.

Thanks
G
Old 07-28-06, 12:29 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks just like my beloved LS4...too bad I don't have her anymore.
Old 07-28-06, 01:27 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by gpgunhouse
I have another question, based on the pictures the LS 400 appears to have had the gold trim package. How difficult would it be to convert it back to the chrome trim package. I thinking it should be fairly strait forward. Are there recommended after market dealers selling factory or OEM parts

Thanks again

Gerard

Its not difficult at all. I used my Clublexus discount to buy the emblems from Darrel @ Sewell Lexus, a Lexus dealership in Texas, and also a supporter of Clublexus.

They can be found at www.lexus-parts.com I’ve had LOTS of dealing with them, and cannot begin to describe their incredible customer service.

Email them and tell them you're from clublexus for a discount. I got my emblems (all, including the front) for $68 bucs. Then you can buy the center caps from eBay for a good $25bucs or so. So nothing really to worry about. Piece of cake. Feel free to PM me for more detail when the time comes.
Old 07-28-06, 02:09 PM
Alan D
Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Its not difficult at all. I used my Clublexus discount to buy the emblems from Darrel @ Sewell Lexus, a Lexus dealership in Texas, and also a supporter of Clublexus.

They can be found at www.lexus-parts.com I’ve had LOTS of dealing with them, and cannot begin to describe their incredible customer service.

Email them and tell them you're from clublexus for a discount. I got my emblems (all, including the front) for $68 bucs. Then you can buy the center caps from eBay for a good $25bucs or so. So nothing really to worry about. Piece of cake. Feel free to PM me for more detail when the time comes.

I recently bought some things from Darrel and he was very helpful. Sewell is all about customer service.
Old 07-28-06, 02:24 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Alan D
I recently bought some things from Darrel and he was very helpful. Sewell is all about customer service.
Yup, Darrel is a great guy. Will make sure your satisified or do what it takes. Not to mention they are 50% cheaper then my local dealer, no joke. (Random fact: Lexus of Tampa Bay was the first Lexus dealership in the USA. According to them.)

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 07-28-06 at 02:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchase : 1999 LS 400