LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

to trade up or not??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 02:10 PM
elenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to trade up or not??

Ok so I have a 1992 Lexus LS400, I love the car to death, but the A/C compressor is shot completly. Its going to be a $2k job to have it fixed....is it really worth it?? I really don't know, I hate to get rid of the car because I've been so spoiled with it, I'm not going to be able to get anything as luxurious or powerful right now either...but I'm just thinking about the future, if I hold onto the car a while longer and wing it for now, would I be doing myself a major mistake? Like will the value of the car decrease in the next few months? Should I sell it now to get the maximum value? I'm really just not sure what to do.
Old 04-10-06, 10:51 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

who's giving you that price? sounds like the price of a dealer.

you might be able to find a rebuilt compressor for $300-500, and have it installed bya competent mechanic for about the same ($300-500), total should be $600-1000.

a/c's worth it, especially if you're going to try to sell it. it'd be hard to sell a car for top dollar, knowing that needs to be fixed.
Old 04-11-06, 11:43 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

i agree 100%. this is just the type of repair where you should stay away from the dealer. at the age of this car, you have virtually no reason to "protect the value" by going to a dealer for repairs. but you DO have value (in terms of the remaining life of the car) to protect by repairing these things. compare the cost of an aftermarket or rebuilt compressor versus replacing the car. unless you get a much, much newer ls430, you are still going to have a car with a lot of miles on it. at least you know the history of your car.
Old 04-11-06, 02:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

For about $2K, that is essentially a near whole A/C system. If all you need is a compressor the cost should be sub $600 easily. If the compressor died and sent metal shavings through the system, then changing out the condensor and evaporator may be suggested also. At that it should be around $1,200. If you like the car, I'd say repairing the A/C is a practical choice.

Get a factory rebuilt/new part. Don't get "lifetime" rebuilt parts from the local auto parts houses. I learned the hard way and after 3 compressors, I had a Toyota master tech go over the failed one. He showed me more than a handful of non-spec parts. Over or undersized O-rings, cheap bearings, lose tolerance fittings....bad news. After his fix, my A/C was good till the car was sold 5 years later. Before that, it was annual A/C maintenance.

If the car has high miles, have a compression test done. If it has much lower than average cylinder compression, it will give you an idea how tired the engine may be. Then decide if the combined costs are more efficient towards a replacement vehicle. How many miles on this car?
Old 04-14-06, 04:22 PM
elenz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the great response. The car has 202k miles on it, and that test you just mentioned is a great idea. As a matter of fact, thats something I'll have to do. I'm in SUCH a bind simply because I've already been shopping for new cars. #1 I don't even like what I'm seeing. #2 I can't afford these cars I don't even care to own....Like speaking of Camrys, Accords, Jettas, Maximas....I mean, I LOVE my LS400. If I can be assured that the actual body structure and the engine will be sound for another 50k miles, I'll totally be willing to get the A/C fixed. So thats really the concern I have now....will I be wasting my money by fixing this problem, if just a few more miles down the road this car will require more exorbanant repairs. Actually, that quote was given by a local mechanic whom we've taken our cars to for years. He's a pretty good friend of the family so he wasn't trying to screw us over, and yes its the entire A/C system that needs replaced...not just the compressor. So really, everybody tell me what you're feeling on this....it would be perfect if I could keep this car another two years without having to waste gobs of money on it, simply because I don't need a car payment right now. But if its the smartest choice to loose it now while the repair costs are relatively low....I just don't know. Let me know what you all think.
Old 04-14-06, 04:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

as long as its properly maintained that car will outlast you.
Old 04-15-06, 02:34 AM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

A compression test is about $125 and he will give you a or Have him check the tranny and differential also. By knowing how the engine and driveline is, this will help in deciding about repairing the A/C.

If you had mentioned driving the car maybe another year and then selling it, I'd say let it go now. At 2 years...it's a coin toss. 3+ years fix the A/C and keep driving. With mechanical things...ya don't know, the car is in it's later miles so it's no sure thing unfortunately.
Old 04-15-06, 02:10 PM
elenz
Driver School Candidate

Right, exactly....if I were keeping the car only a year, it would be gone now. I mean, before the A/C conked out, I was fully satisfied with the car....I was hoping to keep it until like, after college or at least into college....ya know about 4 to 6 more years. Some people have mentioned that I'll get sick of the old styling and paying gas prices...but no, I love the styling, and for the small difference in fuel costs between this and a maxima or accord...I mean I don't mind that so much. All I'm worried about is that the car will keep running, and right now its showing no signs of tiring out really. I'll probably have a compression test done like you said. Also, anybody know much about the suspension/brakes on the 1992 model? This has kinda worried me since I originally bought the car, I've just become used to it, but the car shudders and rattles reallly bad when the brakes are applied. Its just kind of wierd, I mean they're plenty responsive...its not like they're worn out or anything, it just makes the whole car shimmy sort of and its just kind of unnerving...aren't Lexus vehicles supposed to be extraordinarily smooth? Mine really isn't...IDK though, maybe all the early 90s models drive like that and I just don't know, its not quite so apparant when you're a passenger in the car, but I normally am the driver so..