LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

RIP 1991 Silver LS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 04:35 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIP 1991 Silver LS400

I must have done this about 3 weeks ago, i just wasnt up to the task of posting photos of my totaled car.... too depressing and i didnt want to deal with it. You will probebly want to know what happened.

My friend and i were driving a little too fast through some back roads (back roads in missouri are VERY hilly and turn a LOT) that i had never been through. It was my turn to lead, and i didnt think it was a very good idea anyway becuase i didnt know this road, but im leading, and this one downhill turn started to turn a lot faster than i antisipated. Now this downhill turn was banking the wrong way too, this does not equal good for stoping distance. Then a freeken deer jumps out infront of me (my friend almost hit one that night too along with a family of racoons) and there was this private road that veered off. So i decided better than sliding off the road or hitting the deer i would go off onto this road and stop. WRONG. I turn off into this road, god this road must not have ever been used, twigs and leaves covered the road. I must have slid for 60 feet on that stupid road trying to go straight on it. I start sliding off that road and hit a tree. If i had been a foot to the left, i woudlnt be here posting about this. But then again things could have been much worse becuase there was a valley off to the right.

Insurance company totaled it out, and i spent the next 4-5 days going back and forth to my car (where it was towed to) turning it back to stock and pulling off close to all my aftermarket parts. One thing i must tell you guys, i would have driven the car home had not the radiator hose bene pressed up against the accesory belt. EVERYTHING on the car still worked fine, even my shattered headlights, they turned on and the bulbs were fine. Wheels were fine to and you better believe i took those off. Anway here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails RIP 1991 Silver LS400-img_0011.jpg  
Old 11-01-05, 04:36 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Old 11-01-05, 04:38 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Old 11-01-05, 04:39 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Old 11-01-05, 04:40 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Last one guys, if you want bigger pics go to search on photos, and type "crash photos"
Attached Thumbnails RIP 1991 Silver LS400-img_0007.jpg  
Old 11-01-05, 05:47 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that makes me wana cry i have same color scheem. wana sell the spoiler?
Old 11-01-05, 06:05 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude I feel sory for you man, and everthing works fine huh? Maybe you just need to replace some little things and it would be ok. I'm trying to think of your reaction upon hitting the tree.
Old 11-01-05, 06:52 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

damn son i KNOW your pain. back in 97 my boy crashed my 91 pearl white/blue 400 and it looked just like your car does except WORSE and the damage was on the drivers side which was pushed up a little more. i almost cried. my rim was bent on that side also. i dont know how they did it but i saw the front end that they replaced mine with and the car looked better afterward b/c i got the whole car painted over
Old 11-01-05, 06:55 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance company should let you buy it back an employee if mine wrecked our acura integra and totaled it out we bought it back for 1500 and cost around 2000 to fix including getting the frame pulled both fenders hood front clip with demon headlights spindal aarms and paint. we got 8500 for car came out ahead 5000 dollars with insurance and sold it today for 5000 but state screwed up and gave it a clear title I disclosed to cust that it was wrecked. the kid didnt care he got a 99 integra for 5000.Plus state scrwed up and gave it a clear title. looked identical to youre situation and the way youre car is sitting
Old 11-01-05, 07:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

what kidna rims and you wanna sell? its a sad sight but lets see if we cant make it a lil more bright.
Old 11-01-05, 07:31 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, really sorry about the situation, I know exactly you feel. It really sucks, and you just want to kick everything (esp on the day of the accident) but believe me, things can get better. Glad you have insurance on it, at least your going to be compensated somewhat.

I know it’s not easy, but try not to let it get to you bro, and hopefully you'll be in a newer, better LS soon.

On a side Note, the LS really took the hit well, very well if I may add, if you notice, the passenger door is practically unharmed, and the front absorbed the hit well. Once you get into an accident in these cars, you'd swear you will never buy anything else again.
Old 11-01-05, 09:26 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Jashnoel - i will try and contact the place the insurance company sold the car to and i bet i can get it for cheap from them. Along with a BRAND NEW drivers door handle i just bought 1 month before tha accident. Cost me 200$ from the dealer, pain in the but.

PureDrifter - not sellin the rims for now, ill be transfering those over to my (hopefully) new 97 sc400. sorry to leave the ls crowd but motor is still the same!

TJW98LS - haha well my first reaction, very first upon less than one second after hitting the tree. The airbag scared the BAJESUS out of me and my friend behind me said i hit the tree, he blinked, then i was out of the car 10 feet away. All i knew was that loud bang (from the airbag) and smoke all in my car, it scared me so bad and i was outta there. It was really amazing how fast the car was ingolfed with soot, it was EVERYWHERE, even my rear window. Second thought was, jesus what the hell did i get myself into now.... shouted a few curse words and hit a few things.

Grand LS4 - yeah your right, that car absorbed the crash very well to keep me safe, i guess thats better than not absorbing it, possibly hurting me, and being able to fix the car haha. I was wearing my seatbelt and i didnt even hit the airbag the whole process of the crash showed how safe the car is, i felt 100% fine after that. Its a beast of a car for sure!

Synopsis
The shock tower that was involved in the accident bent backward and actually smashed some of the stuff behind that. I had a front tower support brace and it actually broke the welds off it, not completely but enough, lol. The frame was bent, and to tell you the truth im very picky with cars, and i dont want to put extra money into that car just to have a car that had a new front welded in. It just would bother me. And probebly the MOST deciding factor: after the insurance company totals out your car, you have no more collision, once they pay you the amount your car is worth, they wont go over, so if i ever got into an accident and it was my fault, they wouldnt give me a dime. Or maybe they wouldnt isure me at all, im not an expert. I probebly should have asked them about this, but for the afore mentioned i just felt like moving on. One day ill buy another one, my grandmother has a pearl white one with 45,000 miles and its a 91! So i have options in the future.

I was so sick of going back and forth i left my aftermarket suspension on there. If i can buy it back for a decent price ill sell it to one of you guys. Only had like 2k on them. Tokico blues with powdercoated (metalic grey) california custom 2" drop springs. Honestly though i think it gave me an inch tops.

Thanks for your support guys
Old 11-01-05, 11:21 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, atleast you are here to tell us the story!

Now , is there anything you want or can part out..LOL
Old 11-02-05, 12:08 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about the ride. The pics make me wanna . But at least you are Ok. That is what important.
Old 11-02-05, 09:48 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, the death of an ls400 always makes me sad.... Didnt that car run 12's at the track?

Quick Reply: RIP 1991 Silver LS400