LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

best intake for a 95 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 06:15 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default best intake for a 95 LS400

Hey fellow ls400 owners, which intake do you guys think is the best for a 2nd gen ls400. i have seen a lot of people with the injen. what do you guys think of this intake? thanks for all the info in advance!!!
Old 10-10-05, 07:56 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if im not wrong, the only viable intake option us 2nd gen guys have is the Injen. unless u can get some 1st gen stuff to fit.
Old 10-10-05, 11:10 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my injen and I couldnt be happier with it... let me see If I can hook you up with a sound clip (who hosts sound clips on the net?)
Old 10-10-05, 11:24 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
Hey fellow ls400 owners, which intake do you guys think is the best for a 2nd gen ls400. i have seen a lot of people with the injen. what do you guys think of this intake? thanks for all the info in advance!!!
The stock intake is engineered better than the available aftermarket ones. I recommend simply modifying the stock system for better cold air flow. This is cheaper and makes more power the the aftermarket ones. This is NOT oppinion.

Check out my DIY thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...986#post575986
Old 10-10-05, 11:55 AM
440+6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tis true, stock air boxes, are designed to pull in cool air while trying to lower sound levels. Usually the power increase from those intakes comes from a better free flowing, filter and no box to baffle noise, I think there is also a resonating duct that helps keep noise down in the stock tubing, it'll cause more turbulent air but that only effects it a little bit. (Air filters are designed to clean air and smooth turbulent air thats why you see a small power increase from having no filter to puting on a quality filter)

edit: why do people call this an intake? Everytime I think intake I think manifold

Last edited by 440+6; 10-10-05 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-10-05, 05:29 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 440+6
Tis true, stock air boxes, are designed to pull in cool air while trying to lower sound levels. Usually the power increase from those intakes comes from a better free flowing, filter and no box to baffle noise, I think there is also a resonating duct that helps keep noise down in the stock tubing, it'll cause more turbulent air but that only effects it a little bit. (Air filters are designed to clean air and smooth turbulent air thats why you see a small power increase from having no filter to puting on a quality filter)

edit: why do people call this an intake? Everytime I think intake I think manifold
I second the "intake" label given to the air cleaner MAF tubing components. Intake means manifold to me as well.

The resonator in the stock system actually INCREASES power It is a helmholtz resonator. Check out these links:
http://planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html
http://planetsoarer.com/resonator/Re...rsAcoustic.htm

BTW, love the old Chrysler Challengers and Cudas. Also loved the old Chargers, Roadrunners, GTXs, and of course the wing cars. Personally I like the 1UZFE engine in these Lexus cars but am seriously considering a 346-427cid LSx based EFI engine swap. All aluminum with tons of aftermarket. Small cam would be very smooth and fuel economy would rival current numbers. Torque would be massively improved.
Old 10-10-05, 06:05 PM
LS430FAN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i recently went to Autofashion and they said that they got a new intake company that is making intakes for all Lexus models and i just put a order in for my LS430 and from the dyno charts on the site it looks pretty good. Im not going to race my car but any type of performance upgrades would help.

Go check out the new intakes:
http://*****.com/index2.html
If they dont list it on there im sure there going to make one. If you want one made for your car you can call up Autofashion and they can either get you on the dyno or get you the intake if its already been tested.
Old 10-11-05, 06:12 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FAN
Well i recently went to Autofashion and they said that they got a new intake company that is making intakes for all Lexus models and i just put a order in for my LS430 and from the dyno charts on the site it looks pretty good. Im not going to race my car but any type of performance upgrades would help.

Go check out the new intakes:
http://*****.com/index2.html
If they dont list it on there im sure there going to make one. If you want one made for your car you can call up Autofashion and they can either get you on the dyno or get you the intake if its already been tested.
looks very promising, but they dont make it for the iuzfe.....they only make it for the ls430's.
Old 10-11-05, 06:32 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
looks very promising, but they dont make it for the iuzfe.....they only make it for the ls430's.
i checked that also
Old 10-11-05, 07:33 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

I am open minded but skeptical of manufacturers claims for many reasons. One BIG problem with intakes such as these is the pick up point for the air cleaner. Is it isolated from the underhood heat? With an open hood during a dyno run an open element filter will do fine but with the hood closed is begins breathing engine and radiator heated air and the power drops often below a stock filter.

Now, regarding the dyno charts, 5hp is acceptable without any tuning. I picked up about 5rwhp based on drag strip back to back multiple runs. What is NOT believeable is giant spikes in the low RPM torque curve. Manufacturers fight hard to get low RPM torque and it is VERY hard to improve this area of engine performance. Higher flowing filters can possibly help high RPM power where flow can become restricted but the low end is hard to help. Now, if you can and do adjust the air/fuel ratio or ignition timing you can get gains but these intakes do not appear to have any ECU adjustment at all.

I went first to the LS430 dyno and was very surprised to see the reported mid RPM torque increase of over 20lb/ft at 3800rpm. That throws up my BS meter quickly. Then I checked out other dynos and the Chrysler 300C has even more dramatic mid RPM gains REPORTED of 58ft/lbs at 4000rpm... I am sorry but I cannot believe half of that. The manufacturer would pay HUGE money to gain that amount of torque. But what had to be the BIGGEST percentage BS flag for me was the Altima V6 with nearly 55lbs gained at 3500rpm.. I am sorry but there is NO EFN WAY that 3.5 liter engine gained anywhere close to HALF of that claim let alone 55lbs... that is low boost supercharger/turbocharger territory. Any manufacturer putting up claims like this has lost credibility from me big time.

There are MANY ways to manipulate dyno readings. When I see completely ridiculous claims that is the first thing I think of. Of course you can DRAW any dyno line you want. So, without performance testing results (independent when there is a loss in cred already like this) then I would not believe anything they say.

Everyone should at least review the links above I posted. There is a REASON that manufacturers spend substancial money to engineer and install helmholtz resonators on their engines (Hint: to gain torque). Remove them at you loss.

Let me say at least one positive thing about these intakes... the pipes are shiny.
Old 10-11-05, 12:03 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

i did notice the same exact thing.. its funny how these companies have the nerve to claim so much HP or torque gain with the addition of an intake
Old 10-11-05, 12:44 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drop in K&N, that will be your best intake
Old 10-11-05, 03:49 PM
440+6
Rookie

Originally Posted by jbrady
I am open minded but skeptical of manufacturers claims for many reasons. One BIG problem with intakes such as these is the pick up point for the air cleaner. Is it isolated from the underhood heat? With an open hood during a dyno run an open element filter will do fine but with the hood closed is begins breathing engine and radiator heated air and the power drops often below a stock filter.

Now, regarding the dyno charts, 5hp is acceptable without any tuning. I picked up about 5rwhp based on drag strip back to back multiple runs. What is NOT believeable is giant spikes in the low RPM torque curve. Manufacturers fight hard to get low RPM torque and it is VERY hard to improve this area of engine performance. Higher flowing filters can possibly help high RPM power where flow can become restricted but the low end is hard to help. Now, if you can and do adjust the air/fuel ratio or ignition timing you can get gains but these intakes do not appear to have any ECU adjustment at all.

I went first to the LS430 dyno and was very surprised to see the reported mid RPM torque increase of over 20lb/ft at 3800rpm. That throws up my BS meter quickly. Then I checked out other dynos and the Chrysler 300C has even more dramatic mid RPM gains REPORTED of 58ft/lbs at 4000rpm... I am sorry but I cannot believe half of that. The manufacturer would pay HUGE money to gain that amount of torque. But what had to be the BIGGEST percentage BS flag for me was the Altima V6 with nearly 55lbs gained at 3500rpm.. I am sorry but there is NO EFN WAY that 3.5 liter engine gained anywhere close to HALF of that claim let alone 55lbs... that is low boost supercharger/turbocharger territory. Any manufacturer putting up claims like this has lost credibility from me big time.

There are MANY ways to manipulate dyno readings. When I see completely ridiculous claims that is the first thing I think of. Of course you can DRAW any dyno line you want. So, without performance testing results (independent when there is a loss in cred already like this) then I would not believe anything they say.

Everyone should at least review the links above I posted. There is a REASON that manufacturers spend substancial money to engineer and install helmholtz resonators on their engines (Hint: to gain torque). Remove them at you loss.

Let me say at least one positive thing about these intakes... the pipes are shiny.
Not to mention the cost, its a pipe with a quality filter on the end of it.
Old 10-11-05, 03:54 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh
Drop in K&N, that will be your best intake
Actually, the circular LS filter is better than the K&N for this application. The KN has a solid panel in the middle of aound 4" or so in diameter. The accordian element goes around that. The stock filter has a LOT more surface area. Probably filters better also. No need to change filters simply modify the stock air box as shown. I picked up a solid 1/2 MPH in the quarter mile running 5 passes back to back with and without the modification (I have a spare housing cover). 10rwhp is good for about 1 mile per hour so that would be right at 5rwhp. Performance testing back to back in the same environment is the best way to determine actual gains or losses. Actually, you are very hard pressed to feel 5rwhp either way. That said, get 5 here and 10 there and it begins to add up. I just got my headers today and should be picking up another 20rwhp very soon.
Old 10-11-05, 03:58 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 440+6
Not to mention the cost, its a pipe with a quality filter on the end of it.
True but in all fairness the stock LS filter is a very good part. The main restriction is due to noise suppression. Back to back the modified housing is definitely noticeable. Day to day running nobody ever comments... of course most are unfamiliar with the erie quietness of a stock LS400/430. Personally, the extra sound is minor and it is nice to hear the motor breath. Under cruise conditions it is silent. Tip in throttle has a moderate sound increase over stock. Full throttle is more than a moderate increase but still far from noisy.

Quick Reply: best intake for a 95 LS400